• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Question on countershaft gear roller bearings

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I rebuilt the TR4 transmission that is in my TR3 about 3 years ago when I first got the car. Now I'm adding overdrive and decided to replace all the bearings. When I pulled the countershaft and looked at the caged roller bearings, I noticed I had put in the KOYO (Torrington) B1314 from Moss. I ordered new ones from BPNW under their p/n 126862 and I noticed that they are Timken (Torrington) B1316's. I then Googled the specs for each of those and I see that the B-1314's are 7/8 inch width (actually depth) and the B-1316's are 1 inch in width (depth). I did not want to pull out the existing B-1314's yet, so I could not measure the actual depth of the holes in the ends of the countershaft gears. My question is, will the 1 inch B1316 bearings work or should I reorder some of the B1314's?

The reason I have a concern is that in searching the forum I noticed one thread where one person had the experience where the end of the bearing had been grinding into the thrust washer and had ground off the end of the bearing. Therefore, I do not want to use a bearing that will not go down into the hole far enough. p.s. I don't think my gears have a slot for a circlip to hold the bearing in, i.e. I can't feel a circlip slot.
Thanks for the help!
Regards, Bob

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have used the B1316 Torrington bearing on the gear end of the countershaft without a problem. I fitted it without the circlip and haven't had a problem of moving and contacting the thrust washer. It is a full complement bearing, meaning that the needles aren't separated by a cage. This allows more needles for the space, and increases load limit. The only downside is a decrease in the speed limit. Since I don't race, that isn't a factor. Also, the additional length increase the load limit slightly.
Berry

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I counted the rollers in the Torrington B-1314 and the B1316 and they have the exact same number of rollers. I believe the only difference is the length of the bearing. The B-1314 is 7/8 inch long and the B-1316 is 1 inch long. On Friday I was at the house of a Triumph Club member who has a lot of used Triumph parts. We measured what we believe is TR6 countershaft gears and they had a depth of slightly over 1 inch. We then measured the depth of the bearing hole (bore) in my countershaft gears, (which I'm pretty sure are TR4) and they measured right at .886 inch which is 7/8. It appears to me that some countershaft gears have deeper holes (bores) than others and therefore it may be important to measure the bore depth in your countershaft before ordering replacement bearings. Has anyone else experienced this difference that I've seen?
Regards, Bob

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sorry if I mis-lead you. I have a TR6 and didn't realize that the counter shaft gear differed in the bearing length from the TR4. An old TRF price list shows a .995" bearing for the TR6 and .869" one for TR4.
The remark about full complement bearings came to mind because I disassembled a gearbox that had a BA1314 bearing, was caged and had about half as many needles as the B series full complement ones.
Berry

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Berry, thanks for that information!! That explains my question. I guess BPNW is not aware of the difference between TR4 and TR6 bearing length.
Regards, Bob