• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windshield Replacement

lreyburn

Freshman Member
I am planning on replacing the windshield on my BJ8. Are there any step-by-step removal/installation instructions out there to help me with this project? Thanks in advance.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Don't know of step by step instructions, but there are a few things to look for. First, the windshield frame is held together with four corner brackets, which are usually rusty. It can be a challenge to remove the attaching screws. If the brackets are not too far gone to re-use, then you are lucky. Still, I would replace the screws, using the correct length. Screws too long can result in a cracked windshield upon reassembly.

Next, about the windshield to shroud seal. Replacing this seal is a bear if you don't have the know-how. I farmed this out to a pro, after buggering up the first seal.

Other than that, it's pretty intuitive. Of course, I would remove the windshield assembly from the car. Don't know if it can be done with the frame still on the car, but I doubt it. If you're replacing the windshield, it's a good time to replace the rubber. No reason not to do so.

Now, if you need to re-chrome the frame, that's another ball of wax. The entire frame is extruded brass, with the exception of the stainless steel mounting brackets which are riveted to the frame. The brass frame plates very nicely. When I re-plated my frame, I removed the stainless brackets, and found the appropriate rivets for re-assembly, and got the help of a friend who is building an airplane to help with setting the rivets.

Best advice is to photograph each step as you go.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I am working on a BJ8 and did not take the car apart. I know the BJ8 has a center support fromt he windshield to the front shroud on the inside of the car. I don't know what this part looks like. If anyone has a camera and can take a picture, I will start looking for the part.

jerry
BJ8

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jerry,
My bracket is in my shop but I need someone to tell me how to get pictures posted on this site. I don't think it is rocket science but I have not had any luck with pictures. Have a good day!

John

wheelwright

You can try using Sili-croil or similar penetrating oil a few times over 24 hours or so to loosen up parts,be patient and use good tools {right size screwdriver etc}.Some of the window gasket material kits we have seen are too thick around the glass,and we saw a windshield that was cut wrong,so that it didn't fit into the lower corners of the frame.Get some black silicone sealer,you will need it.So many parts supplied now don't pretend to be a correct replacement,beware of these parts.Ask around your local club,there is a guy in Texas named Brett Blades,he probably can help.He knows a lot about Healeys,and is a nice guy...

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the picture Andy. I have seen that part in one of the boxes and did not know what it went too. Does the rubber follow the shape of the metal?

Jerry