• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Which parts are NOT body color?

AHS

Country flag
I've just sprayed primer on the body of my late 1957 3A which means I'll be doing color in the not too distant future. There are a few parts I'm unsure if they are body color or not. I've done a search and I know opinions vary on some of these - anyway here goes.

-Rear fender to frame stabilizer brackets (zinc plated repros)
-Front fender inner splash shields
-Front apron brace at top between fenders
-Door hinges & screws
-Spare tire cover quarter turn latches and screws
-Radiator support rods
-Radiator ducting

Any other advice on what to paint or not to paint would also be appreciated. I'm sure the top frame and "EB" tag and screws get painted, so they're not on the list.

Thanks,
Andy

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
stabilizer black, shields body color, brace black, hinges screws body color, latches and screws body color, rods black, I don't have the ducting so I'm not sure.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
TR3A radiator air deflectors (fitted from TS40104) were body color. Dealers could get deflectors in all the body colors for early TR3A owners wanting a deflector retro fitted.

The apron cross brace was body color on cars with the split steering column, as thereafter Mulliners fitted the aprons before despatching the painted bodies to S-T.

Viv.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Viv I stand corrected, I was thinking of the small brace in front of the car by the crank hole.

OP
AHS

AHS

Country flag
Thanks gentlemen. As I understand it then, the top apron brace should be black as I have a solid steering column? That would be handy, since I haven't obtained that part yet. And I'll paint the deflector body color as if my early car were retrofitted.
Andy

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Andy sorry about the confusion, the cross brace should be body color. My original brace on my 56 with a solid steering column was painted blue like the rest of the car.

OP
AHS

AHS

Country flag
Thanks, now I understand the brace confusion. It makes sense the brace at the top of the apron is body color.
Andy

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
It's easier to just paint the car black, like I did...:glee:

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
TR3A radiator air deflectors (fitted from TS40104) were body color. Dealers could get deflectors in all the body colors for early TR3A owners wanting a deflector retro fitted.

The apron cross brace was body color on cars with the split steering column, as thereafter Mulliners fitted the aprons before despatching the painted bodies to S-T.

Viv.
My Front Apron cross brace (this spans from one fender well to the other, under top of brace), is aluminum and unpainted. Is that not what others have?