• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Whats your opinion?

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Guys
As some of you might know,I am a mechanic for UPS.Being I am getting close to retirement,I've thinking of going into buisness on my own.Here's my idea.
What would you think of a car storage facility,that includes a large garage or shop, on property,so that people could work on their cars with their friends? Also I was thinking of a meeting hall,so car clubs could hold monthly or weekly meetings.
This is just an idea I've been kicking around for a while and I would like to get your opinion. Have a great day.
Bobby R

bighly

Jedi Knight
One word or concern

Insurance

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Bobby,

My friends and I have tossed around a similar idea. Also, I've heard of similar (but perhaps not as extensive) places in the past.

The big item that you'd need to deal with is not actually the space, equipment or the like. It's all the legal malarky. There's concerns about liability issues. Now, I'll readily admit that I'm no lawyer, so I won't give direct legal advice. If you're interested in something like that I would definitely find a small business / corporate type lawyer and ask them about it.

From a self-protection stand point (business-wise) you'll also want to ensure that you start it up as a company (LLC at an absolute minimum). If you run something like this as a sole-proprietorship then you are personally liable for anything that occurs.

Good luck!

p.s. as a "customer" I'd love a place where I can work on my existing project, and store upcoming projects/parts. I know that the storage facility I presently rent costs in excess of $200.00/month and that's dead storage space, I can't work there. And my better half would love being able to park in the garage. :smile:

OP
BOBBYR

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Guys,
I'm sure you realize,with all businesses,there are exspenses and liabilities.I think that is why places like this aren't on every corner.Being in this forum has shown us all how enthusiastic we all get over these machines.I know it would be a challenge ,but I think it would be really rewarding to work with young and old people who get the thrill out of this, that I have for so many years.
Bobby R

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
As an insurance agent I can identify a few problems areas with this plan. First, you would need very competent legal counsel to pull this off. First the underwriters will be concerned about people working on cars there. There are a few areas to this, what if someone sparks a fire by doing some welding, creates an explosive situation by painting or a gas leak. Then there is the issue that if someone is injured while working on the car on your premises and what if something happens due to a faulty repair while on the road. How about a wreck on premises while test driving after a repair? Beleive it or not, the faciliity can be held responsible. Then there is the legal liability for cars stored there if they are damaged through the fault of someone working on the cars there. I highly doubt classic car insurance would take this exposure into account in the pricing of their liability. And I doubt homeowners insurance would respond either. Lastly there is concern about exposure to liquor liability as car guys like to sit around and have a beer or two during and after their work on the cars.

Would the social hall have cooking? Fire insurance and restaurant liability insurance can also be expensive.

All of this can be handled with insurance but it would be rather expensive and may put your costs far higher than you thought. A lawyer can answer the question about liability and storage waivers etc.

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've been a business owner since 1989, great idea, and good way to hang around with your buddies.

In my opinion, you need at least 3 things to get going, an accountant, a lawyer and a good book keeper, then add patience and money.

Country flag
And a shrink. Most people want to work on their cars on weekends and evenings. You'd have to put in crazy hours.
A friend of mine did something like that with an old two bay "service station". Trouble was getting "almost finished" cars off the rack while others with reserved time waited not patiently. Brake-ins and people missing their tools. He could not get liability insurance cause the people working on their cars were not professionally trained.

V

vagt6

Liability insurance may not be available for such a venture at any price on today's market. The amateur mechanics are the insurability problem, among others. And, making customers sign "liability waivers" will not help since you can't make folks sign away their legal rights.

You could try to get quotes from various insurance agents/brokers just to test the waters.

Very difficult risk to insure.

Let us know . . .

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Obviously if Collectors Car Garage can make a business of it, it's possible...it's just not cheap. To a Healey owner living in a major city like New York, where a spot in a dingy parking garage costs north of $600/month, somehting like this might be an attractive option.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Back in the 80's we had a place like that in Columbus, Ohio.
You joined the club for a monthly fee, they also restored cars on the premises for resale, and had a little used car lot.

It only survived about two years.

Pete

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
With the exception of the club aspect, I have that type arrangement for my project car. I have 24 /7 access to my own approximately 600 sq ft of floor space, separated from the classic storage area. There is a new lift and some basic community tools like a large compressor. The arrangement is relaxed and so far no tools missing. This is not an open shop available to anyone and I'm the only tenant who is not an old friend so I'm an outsider. My admission to the 'club' is my ability to work on the owners Rolls Royce collection.

Andy65

Jedi Hopeful
There is always risk in anything. Don't let the insurance and legal aspects scare you off. I would partner up with the right kind of self storage facility. They already store cars and have people working on them to some degree. Another approach is the warehouse condo. Members pay the lease kind of like a flying club. Reserve time on the lift etc. It could work.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
So, now that we've talked about the worrying aspects of this, here's what I would love to be able to do here... please feel free to steal any/all of this.

1) Basic covered car storage: Just like a normal storage facility only air conditioned. The units would be just big enough to hold the vehicle and get in/out of it. Central air would be used to manage both the ambient temperature as well as the humidity.

2) Working space: Somewhere to store your project/tools and be able to work on the car. This spot would be ~1.5 times as wide and long as the "average" sized car. Each space would also have 110/220 elec hookups and air compressor connections. Perfect climate control wouldn't be quite as much of an issue. Each workspace would be separate and the "renter" would have access via a key to their own spot.

3) Shared Area & Tooling: A larger, open workspace with lifts, welding area, sandblasting room & paintbooth. Each section would be available as a day/hour rental for access. The idea for the shared equipment is that it's all too big to steal (or if you're computer savvy you can RFID all the equipment and an alarm goes off if it's removed from the premises.

4) Large open warehouse space with stage at one end: This is a general purpose area for doing car shows, gatherings, etc, etc. It'd need appropriate storage for tables, chairs, table cloths, etc. I'd not bother with a kitchen, but I would definitely have a BBQ area adjacent to the building. :smile:

5) The other idea we had was an in house toolshop for tool sales/rentals. The primary idea was to build out the special tools like are available for checkout at your local autozone.

6) The final idea was to hold training classes.

7) And the favorite idea was the automotive equivalent of the 19th hole. Somewhere to sit and shoot the breeze/quaff a few tasty beverages.

Cheers!
Jody

ArtQ

While it doesn't solve the insurance question, the other way to do it, would be to form an LLC or partnership that includes all the guys who want to use the garage and then set up a management contract that gives you an income and allows you to pay the bills, manage the garage etc. That way you limit usage to people who are "on the hook" and, supposedly, more responsible. If you have enough guys, the individual costs can be manageable. My guess is, any way you try it, it will be a lot more of a "fun" thing to do than a way to financial success in retirement.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
JodyFKerr said:
So, now that we've talked about the worrying aspects of this, here's what I would love to be able to do here... please feel free to steal any/all of this.

1) Basic covered car storage: Just like a normal storage facility only air conditioned. The units would be just big enough to hold the vehicle and get in/out of it. Central air would be used to manage both the ambient temperature as well as the humidity.

2) Working space: Somewhere to store your project/tools and be able to work on the car. This spot would be ~1.5 times as wide and long as the "average" sized car. Each space would also have 110/220 elec hookups and air compressor connections. Perfect climate control wouldn't be quite as much of an issue. Each workspace would be separate and the "renter" would have access via a key to their own spot.

3) Shared Area & Tooling: A larger, open workspace with lifts, welding area, sandblasting room & paintbooth. Each section would be available as a day/hour rental for access. The idea for the shared equipment is that it's all too big to steal (or if you're computer savvy you can RFID all the equipment and an alarm goes off if it's removed from the premises.

4) Large open warehouse space with stage at one end: This is a general purpose area for doing car shows, gatherings, etc, etc. It'd need appropriate storage for tables, chairs, table cloths, etc. I'd not bother with a kitchen, but I would definitely have a BBQ area adjacent to the building. :smile:

5) The other idea we had was an in house toolshop for tool sales/rentals. The primary idea was to build out the special tools like are available for checkout at your local autozone.

6) The final idea was to hold training classes.

7) And the favorite idea was the automotive equivalent of the 19th hole. Somewhere to sit and shoot the breeze/quaff a few tasty beverages.

<span style="font-weight: bold">And you could call it LBC Heaven.[</span>/i]

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
You certainly could. :smile:

Land is still "relatively" cheap out here in Arizona. My better half has told me I can buy/build my own facility once the mortgage gets paid off, so I'm working as hard as I can to get that danged mortgage gone. :smile:

And, I'm praying that the munchkin gets a scholarship to college. :smile:

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
I think that you seriously need to learn the definition of the word "retirement".

Wikipedia says "Retirement is the point where a person stops employment completely."

It sounds to me as if you want to leave a fairly comfortable, good paying, job for one wrought with long hours, 24-7 headaches, and again never seeing daylight.

In the 5 years since we retired, we bought a small RV and have visited 44 states and 6 Canadian Provinces.

Last Summer's Trip

Now, were going to the May 31 shuttle launch, then maybe to Conclave in SoCal, then to circle the Great Lakes in the fall.

There is more to life than work.... Quit working and RELAX ! You have EARNED it !

Tim

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Tim,

I think it's less the definition of "retirement" and more the definition of "work."

Fun = Restoring my vintage cars & hanging out / helping fellow enthusiasts.

Work = Fixing the better half's Corolla so she can get to the market.

:smile:

Jody