• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 whats the difference between a 250 & a 4?

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifSo as alot of you have seen, I recently picked up a Spit and what is suppose to be a TR4. Now last nigh I'm reading that a TR4 is pretty similar to a 250, but has an independant rear suspension. Is this true? I did not get titles for either car so I'm not 100% what it is. Thanx! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
The TR250 has the 2.5 litre 6-cylinder engine, as opposed to the TR4's 4-cylinder 2138cc engine. It was only sold for one year. The body shapes are the same. It was sort of a stop gap measure before the introduction of the TR6. There were two TR4's, the TR4 with a solid rear axle, and the TR4A which had an independet rear. Although that was an option, as I believe there were TR4A's that also had the solid axle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the TR4A's. All the TR250's had IRS.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
The TR4 was sold until 1967.
The TR-250 was sold only as a 1968 model. Think of it as a TR4 body with a TR6 engine (although there are interior and bonnet differences.)

As for the rear suspension, the IRS (independent rear suspension) was an option on TR4A models but was standard on TR-250s.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Consult Piggot and you will find that the tr4 was 1962 till 1965, when the tr4A was introduced with the OPTIONAL ind rear sus.The solid axel was still offered till 67 when the 250 was brought out as a 68 with 2.5ltr and only IRS (no solid axel). The body was the same for the most part but lots of trim mods were made, including the most horrid wheel covers ever sold to the public. (some will argue for the Vega, but I say Triumph wins!!)
MD(mad dog)

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifOK, so the car I have on my trailer has a I-6, and a solid axle, so it is a 250? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

TR4

Jedi Knight
With that solid axle, I would say you have a TR4 with a transplanted heart in it. You could contact Moss Motors tech with your Commission number and/or Engine block number and they could tell you what you have. www.mossmotors.com and look for the CONTACT US icon.

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifSweet, It's a car I picked for a friend who's in Africa right now.($##@@ Airforce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif) Anyhow,I'll get you a # in the morning! If it is a transplant, then nice job! Had me fooled! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
With that solid axle, I would say you have a TR4 with a transplanted heart in it. You could contact Moss Motors tech with your Commission number and/or Engine block number and they could tell you what you have. www.mossmotors.com and look for the CONTACT US icon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or it could be a 250 with a rear end from a solid axle 4A (seems unlikely I admit, but I have heard of such a thing). If the dash is pretty much intact, you can tell by the dash vent holes. 4As had squarish vents and 250s (and 6s) had round vents. The location of the ashtray was different as well (in dash for the 4 and 4A and on top of the dash for the 250 and 6).

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifHere's another picture. https://community.webshots.com/photo/180188045/232145035tDJLiM According to the Pa. inspetion, the vin is CT31447-. What do you guy's think? From what I gather(yes, I put on a coat, grabbed the light from the Kia, and uncovered it) the car hasn't been on the road since '87, not that matters too much... BTW, the vents are square-ish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifHere's another picture. https://community.webshots.com/photo/180188045/232145035tDJLiM According to the Pa. inspetion, the vin is CT31447-. What do you guy's think? From what I gather(yes, I put on a coat, grabbed the light from the Kia, and uncovered it) the car hasn't been on the road since '87, not that matters too much... BTW, the vents are square-ish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the commission number, I'd guess it was a 1964 TR4.

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifThanx! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello all,
what you call a 250 was sold in the UK as TR5, but with one big difference, it was the fuel injected version with a lot more power than the 250.
Personally it is my favourite of the TR's, the TR6 was a retrograde step as it is longer and softer in character. As for the TR7, the less said the better, back to 4 cylinders and slower, what a way to go.

Alec

RobT

Jedi Warrior
TR250s also had a dual-brake system with a booster on the master cylinder, a TR6 dash (eyeball vents, smiths gagues), magnetic filler cap, different grill and a bunch of other cosmetic differences.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Rob,
just being pendantic, but surely it is the other way round, the TR6 had a TR250 dash, as it is the later car.

Alec

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you read the History of the Triumph sports car you'll find the 250 ended up with the 4 body because Karman didn't have the body ready in time to make production, so all the interior, chassis, engine bits were all set, but no body to go on it. It is amazing the similarities between the 250 & 6, as a matter of fact the windshield & doors if I am not mistaken are the same!
I'm glad, because I do prefer the 4/250 body to the 6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

RobT

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Hello Rob,
just being pendantic, but surely it is the other way round, the TR6 had a TR250 dash, as it is the later car.

Alec

[/ QUOTE ]

Alec -ye that's true, the Tr250 came first, but I suspect the TR250 dash was designed with the TR6 in mind, as was the drive train etc.

Mental

Thanks for the reseach on this guys. I actually didn't know what year it was. Thanks for looking up the vin Frankenstang