• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Water Pump and Housing

tr6web

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hey all. I noticed a small leak of coolant on the garage floor yesterday. Hard to tell, but it looks like it's coming from the water pump housing next to the timing chain cover. Now I've looked at all of the manuals and diagrams, which indicate the there's a gasket between the housing and cylinder block. It's weird, but it looks like the housing is attached to the block (I can't find any seams, but maybe because it's covered in time with oil, etc.). It does come off, doesn't it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. It looks rather easy to take apart according to the manual, but I wanted to make sure of this issue before I started.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Mike,
the waterpump housing fits onto the cylinder head. It is fairly easy to remove, 5 bolts I think from memory.
However, are you aware that there is a leak hole in the water pump?, normally installed so it is in downward position, its purpose is to warn you of the pump seal starting to leak. I would check that first, use a small mirror with the engine hot and running. The pump is quite easy to change, just three nuts secure it to the pump housing.
By the way I'm assuming you are refering to your TR6.

regards,
Alec

OP
tr6web

tr6web

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks, Alec. I suspect it's either one and it's good to hear it's easy to fix. I just wanted to know that the water housing does come off. And thanks for the water pump info..I didn't know that it was designed to warn you of a leak. Thanks again and I'll be ordering some gaskets shortly!

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Mike,
I did forget that there is a water pipe at the rear of the housing that also needs unscrewing, but it only looks like three bolts for the housing.
regards,
Alec

OP
tr6web

tr6web

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Alec, you do you any suggestions on isolating the coolant? Do I have to drain the radiator completely before taking everything apart?

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Mike,
yes, you will need to drain it down at least below head level. It is a fairly straight forward job, just watch the union when you unscrew the heater pipe from the rear, you may need to hold the fitting into the housing as you unscrew the tube nut.

regards.
Alec

OP
tr6web

tr6web

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks, Alec. The heater pipe...is that the metal pipe the runs along the block that connects down low on the housing?

OP
tr6web

tr6web

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have a picture now for anyone who might know where this leak is coming from. See the picture. I appreciate any help. Alec seems to think it's the water pump. I'm hoping it is since it doesn't seem to hard to fix. I also have a question posted on the picture since I have no idea how to describe it. Thanks!

Attachments

• 85720-tr6web72.jpg
    85720-tr6web72.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 117

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mike, the picture shows you water pump and thermostat housing and it does come off and you could have a bad gasket there but the most probable leak is the water pump running out of the bottom hole and in to the area you show. See if you can clear the bottom of the water pump real well, let it set for 15 minutes then stick a paper towel rolled up in this area, if you get green stuff, figure the pump if not get your gaskets, houston you have a problem. Wayne

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mike, there are 3 bolts that attach the water pump housing to the block. I had an identical failure last Saturday at the race track, when the gasket between the housing and the head decided it had had enough. It took 10 minutes to fix, and didn't even have to pull the radiator hoses. It was on a Spit 1500, but it's the same. If it's coming from further forward, it's the pump. But, that's another 10 minute fix to replace the pump.
Jeff

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Mike,
where your arrow is, it seems unlikely that it is from the pump itself, if it were the water would be evident just behind the pulley.
It could be the main pump body to cylinder head gasket, or the union for the heater pipe which runs to the rear of the engine, or even the pipe itself, being steel it can corrode. It is also worth checking that the bolts holding the pump body are tight.
Whichever it is not a big job as others have said.

Alec

OP
tr6web

tr6web

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
You guys are awesome! Thanks for the help. I have the gaskets and I'm ready to go. Glad to hear it might not be the pump. I'll check the pipe too. Should I drain any of the coolant out before I remove the pump? One person said yes, and Jeff said no.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mike, it wouldn't hurt to drain some of the coolant out before you remove the housing. When I did the Spit at the track, it had pretty well self drained through the leak!
I forgot about the heater pipe, as on the racer that is a braided stainless hose that goes to the expansion tank. Still, it's no big deal to fix.
Sorry for the confusion.
Jeff