• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trivia weight question

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
How much does a '76 Midget bodyshell weigh? Just the shell, no running gear, nothing?

thanks
JP

Jp , two guys can move one easily. less than 200?

mark

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I was dragging this one around my yard last Fall...maybe a bit more than 200 lbs. but probably not more than 300 lbs.
Just a guess, obviously.
sprite_prtscar.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And it's so beautiful too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thank you. Here's why I'm asking. I can get the shell media blasted but they want only the shell and I can't think how to get it there without lifting it onto a trailer. All of which brings up another question. Has anyone tried media blasting at home? Harbor Freight has this on sale https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=30979
has Anyone used one of these? How much grit does it need? I'm looking for inexpensive options here.

thanks
JP

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
4 weeks later and you will get it done at about 12 hours a day. Someone gave me one of those blasters and it is Ok for really small items. I blasted a Mini steering column in about 15 minutes. Took 30 or more to do two V8 valve covers. Works but really slow.

I would recommend a big blaster but then you need a LOT of air. And it is a mess. Far better to take it to someone who does this sort of thing.

Bruce

TommyMG

JP, sounds like you are doing just what I am doing to the car. Best bet is to take it to a local business that does media blasting. Those are my plans. Get all once and done.

hawkwind

Freshman Member
Let me add a big ditto on that. I sandblasted a boat trailer almost down to bare metal some years back. Took a lot of time and a lot of sand. Late into the second day, my dreams of pristine bare metal faded away and I decided it was good enough. The paint job came out OK, but this was just a simple trailer of welded iron construction with no large flat surfaces.

I'm presently using paint stripper on the frame of a 1963 Honda Superhawk that I'm redoing(too messed up for a true restoration). It's working well but not real fast. The speed isn't a concern here because it's sitting in the basement and I just play with it when I'm bored.

Anyone have any thoughts on the pro and cons of using paint stripper?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the advice. Don't you hate it when you know the answer but have to fish anyway (just call me cheap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

That being said, has anyone taken their shell to a media blaster. Here are my specific concerns.

1. Did you put it on a dolly? (They don't want wheels)
2. Did you take the doors off (which is what they want) or will this cause the frame to bend? (there is no rust in the sills)

thanks for helping me through this.
BTW, My Central Florida Classic MG Club had their St. Pattys day soiree tonite, lots of fub and lots of rain.

JP

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
The facility should have thier own dollies to move the shells around on. the only way to know for sure it to call them ahead of time.
Removing the doors will not affect the structural integrity if the shell.they don't support anything. The car dosen't fold up or bend when you open the doors does it? Well, mine did, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifbut you said there's no rust in your sills. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fokkerfreighter

Freshman Member
Got a 64 in the shop on a rotisserie right now. I imagine that the tub probably weighs close to 300 pounds.
It was sandblasted by a shop, the only way to fly. I too once tried to sandblast a boat trailer, the midget was done by a shop.

TommyMG

"Anyone have any thoughts on the pro and cons of using paint stripper?"

Years ago I worked on a buddies 69 GTO and we stripped the whole car with paint stripper...took a whole day and it was a real pain. After the body work prep was done and painted, some my have soaked into the trunk lid and a few issues popped up and had to respray the lid. I think media blasting is the best way to go!