• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Annual Sound Classics Trivia Quiz

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
From my column Friday. Of course, BCF members are eligible for fame and fortune...okay, maybe just fame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Who will be the next “Classically Tough Trivia Contest” champion?
While attending Boston University I had a gig as a disc jockey for WTBU 640 AM. Famous as the station where Howard Stern got his start, being granted a show on “BU-64” seemed like quite an honor – even if it was 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. every Sunday.
Given the time slot, I often had a sneaking suspicion that nobody was listening. One evening my co-host and I dug into our pockets and emptied all of our cash onto the table. After counting it up, we offered all $20.30 to the first listener who called in -- even promising to deliver the money in person. Nobody called. I hit the button to repeat the song currently running, and we left the studio to go home to sleep.
While creating Sound Classic’s fourth annual “Classically Tough Trivia Contest,” that old feeling hit again. I stayed up one night thinking “If I skipped the quiz this year, would it be missed?”
The next morning, I got my answer. Sitting in my inbox was an email from last year’s winner, Dennis Laine, inquiring if and when he would have an opportunity to defend his title.
Well, Dennis, here’s your chance! If you thought last year’s was hard, then this year’s quiz will prove more frustrating than editing a modern-day Howard Stern Show for broadcast on Nickelodeon.
1) What was the last car to be sold through Sears?
2) Name an Italian automaker whose name is neither an acronym nor contains the name of the company’s founder.
3) What was the first car to use LED gauges?
4) This Kalamazoo, MI manufacturer sold fundamentally unchanged cars from 1959 through 1982.
5) Name the American-made makes and models that competed in the SCCA Trans Am series from 1967 through 1970.
6) Which car manufacturer’s owner was nicknamed Wacky?
7) 1969 Corvette L88s were delivered with a warning sticker attached to the center console. What was warning?
8) What company was famous for producing the Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica?
9) Identify the members of the “Scat Pack.”
10) Rain sensing technology first appeared on which car?
11) The president of this non-German auto manufacturer served time after WWII for conspiring with the NAZIs.
12) Identify the car in the attached picture.
13) Prior to recent sport coupes and trucks, what was the last production sedan available in the US market to use suicide doors?
14) List all the engine displacements available on 1969 Ford Mustangs.
15) 1956 Chrysler, Plymouth, DeSoto, Imperial, Plymouth, Dodge vehicles were the first to offer this audio entertainment option.
16) In which decade did hemispherical combustion chambers debut in production cars?
17) “Cannonball Run,” “Gumball Rally,” and “Cannonball” were all movies about outlaw cross-country races. For each of these movies, name the make and model of the car that was declared the winner.
18) Jem Marsh and Frank Costin formed which car company in 1959?
19) In 1977, 1978 and 1979, Pontiac offered some of its cars with engines made by this other automaker.
20) It’s the marque that used The Sphinx as a radiator mascot.
Send in your answers to trivia@apexstrategy.com by 9:30AM on January 2nd, 2006 for a shot at being recognized by millions of die-hard Sound Classics fans as having best car trivia mind of the year.

Submit questions or cars for profiles to Sam Barer’s Sound Classics at sc@apexstrategy.com.

Attachments

• 158162-DSCN5549small.jpg
    158162-DSCN5549small.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 107

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I ~may~ have four or five, but the "'merican" questions and anything after the '70's throw me to th' side.

Fame once again eludes me... <sigh>

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I know 4 maybe 5 Seems to be "on par" so far.
That's a good quiz

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Another “Classically Tough Trivia Quiz” is in the history books. The entries have been opened, analyzed and validated by the accounting firm of Abramoff, Lay and Ebbers.
When the dust settled, Dennis Laine retained his crown as the King of Automotive Knowledge with 30 points. Olympia’s Dennis Karras tied two-time winner Bill Hill with 25 points for second place.
Now on to the answers:
1) One could order an Allstate directly from the 1952 and 1953 Sears catalogs. Built by Kaiser-Frazier, the Allstate was basically a Henry J with a different grill and Sears-sourced tires, spark plugs and battery.
2) Itala, Iso, and Innocenti are Italian automakers named neither for a founder nor with an acronym. Intermeccanica also counts, even though the Italian manufacturer of the Italia was created and managed from the USA.
3) The 1976 Lagonda was the first car to use LED gauges, touch sensitive controls and offer memory seats. The trouble prone LED gauges soon were replaced by cathode ray tubes.
4) Checker’s Superba / Marathon passenger cars and cabs went unchanged from 1959 through 1982.
5) Ford Mustang (usually in Boss 302 form,) Chevy Camaro Z-28, and AMC Javelin competed for many years. Dodge Challenger T/A, Plymouth AAR ‘Cuda competed only in 1970. Early teams also campaigned the Mercury Cougar, Dodge Dart and Pontiac Firebird.
6) Stanley “Wacky” Arnolt built MG and Bristol-based sports cars during the 1950s and 1960s.
7) The L88 option on 1969 Corvettes delivered a solid-lifter 427 cubic inch engine with 12:1 compression and a hard-to-miss red-on-white sticker near the shifter indicating “Warning: Vehicle must operate on a fuel having a minimum of 103 research octane and 95 motor octane or engine damage may result.”
8) To capitalize on its racing success, Frazer Nash built its own Le Mans Replica from 1948-1956.
9) From 1968, Dodge’s performance vehicles were advertised as the “Scat Pack – the cars with the bumblebee stripes.” Charger (R/T, Daytona, Super Bee,) Challenger R/T, Coronet (R/T, Super Bee,) Dart (GTS, Swinger,) and Demon 340 were included.
10) Harley Earl’s 1951 Le Sabre concept introduced rain sensing technology, which automatically raised the convertible top and windows when water dropped on a sensor between the front seats.
11) Faced with losing of his company after the German invasion of France, Louis Renault agreed to produce military supplies for the NAZIs. After liberation, Renault was arrested and charged with collaborating with the enemy. He died in prison awaiting a trial.
12) The picture showed the German-built Amphicar. With a top speed of 60 mph and a rust-prone steel body, it was not particularly good on land or water.
13) Thunderbird Landau Sedans were produced with suicide doors nearly two years after Lincoln Continentals ditched them in 1969.
14) In 1969, Ford offered 200ci and 250ci inline-sixes, and 302ci, 351ci, 390ci, 428ci and 429ci V8s.
15) 1956 Chrysler Corp vehicles offered “Highway Hi-Fi,” the first automotive record player. It used custom non-breakable 7” records played at 16 2/3 RPM, and offered a catalog of 42 record selections, five of which came with the system.
16) Hemispherical combustion chambers debuted on the 1902 Welch prototypes. Franklin’s production air-cooled automotive engines also were hemis from 1908. Jaguar’s 1948 XK was the first post-war overhead cam hemi.
17) The spandex-clad ladies in a 1980 Lamborghini Countach won in 1981’s “Cannonball Run.” The Shelby Cobra 427 beat the Ferrari 365GTS Daytona Spider in 1976’s “Gumball Rally,” and David Carradine’s character might have come in first in a 1969 Mustang (after wrecking his 455HO Trans Am,) but it was the 1975 Corvette driven by little brother Bobby Carradine that officially won in 1976’s “Cannonball!”
18) Jem Marsh and Frank Costin (brother of Cosworth founder Mike Costin,) formed Marcos.
19) 1977-1979 Pontiacs offered optional 403ci Oldsmobile engines. The Olds and Pontiac 400 engine options in Trans Ams were both designated as 6.6-liters – a source of continuing confusion among collectors.
20) The Sphinx topped the radiator shells of British automaker Armstrong-Siddeley. The company chose the mascot to represent the silent and enigmatic nature of its cars.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I 'tanked' horribly.

...think I'll jus' go out an' fire up th' ol' 8-Litre Spitzgrummish-Agamemnon an' take 'er 'round th' block a few times....

sheesh.