• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

67 sprite clutch master trivia

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
horler says that the 67's had either of two types of clutch master cyclinders. one being marked by concentric circles and a short snout and the other marked with a ring and a longer snout. my vin# is han9l/67381. does anyone know which one might have been original for this vin? as an aside, i don't have the original master but i do have pieces of the two types. thanks

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Fred, I don't know what Horler says, but Lockeheed, the maker of the master cylinders, made a "running change" in which the design of the piston and seals went from a 1 cup + 1 ring to 2 rings. The cup was at the end of the piston. The later ring seal was a little farther up. The change occured in all applications of this style of single master cylinder during this period regardless of bore. The ring or rings stamped on the body were meant to indicate which style of internals you would encounter when it came time to rebuild the cylinder. The rings were not always evident.
If I were going for originality, most likely you would want the cylinder that took the cup and seal.
Peter C.

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
i looked at the moss catalog and the cup seal version is the earlier version. i have both versions, but don't have the pushrod for the earlier version and it's not available in moss or VB. i prefer the earlier version too. the only horler picture of the mark IV shows that later version. i guess i will look around for the pushrod.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
<scratching head.....> ? There should be no difference in pushrods.... and I don't see that Moss shows a difference. Use what ya got, or get a new pushrod. You'll be fine.

Peter

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
dang you're right! guess i was looking at the page upside down and in the rain .. my wife always tells me to stop doing that. thanks Peter

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
found a picture from years ago that showed what was in the car originally. turns out it was the master with the ring marking and not the concentric circles. since this was one of the parts that was lost, it was nice to see the original part especially since i have a replacement "ring" type assembly.
i continue to powder coat the front suspension. christmas shopping and school events have slowed my progress but all in all it's coming along nicely.

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
i continue to powder coat the front suspension...

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you need to invest in to be able to do powdercoating "at home"?

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
i bought the eastwood starter kit at about $100. comes with 1/2lb of high gloss black and the choice of two other colors. you need an air compressor, but almost any size will work since you only need max. 10 psig. you need an electric range (something other than the one in your kitchen). you need a powder booth of some form to contain the powder. i built one from 1x2s and plastic sheeting in my basement. that's about it. i have had great results so far and really like the end product.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep, for my next car I am sending everything to Fred. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
i'll be ready for you jack! i find that PCing things keeps me from running out of things to do while i save money to have the tub blasted and primed. my progress is slow but that's okay for now since i only have limited time. i still don't know how you can do all you've done in one year. probably why i'm not self employed.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Cause I am retired Fred. I have to get out of the house it's either that or house work. I am not into housework but I do try to do my share.

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
well hopefully, when miss agatha is complete, you will stay with the rest of us! i know i've learned alot from you and the resource is not easily replaced.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
You can not put a $ figure on what hands on experience and knowledge is worth. Books cannot teach you what the "old timers" have stored in their heads. I use the term old timers as to what they themselves have in terms of knowledge and not referring to age. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
i'm reminded of that everytime i open one of my reference books and can't find the answer!

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
OK, I looked that up and it seems the entry threshold is not nearly as high as I imagined.

So the next question is what do you need in order to clean up/de-rust those small parts that you are going to be powdercoating, such as the front suspension parts. I was hoping never to have to get into the sandblasting business.

I'd also particularly like to clean up and polish all the carburettor and air-cleaner parts and the inlet manifold.

Then powdercoat the aircleaner cans, dynamo casing, starter motor casing, rocker cover, etc, all small enough to go into an oven rescued from somewhere.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A small blasting cabnet would be a very useful item, check harbor freight or ebay. Not expensive, I would have one for another car and may in any case.

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
i found that for small parts, a copper wire wheel or the local media blast shop worked well. i cleaned most of my parts myself and then cooked them for about 20 minutes to extract any other contaminants. i cleaned them with a paint prep from eastwood and the results are great. the prep work is a pain but even rattle cans require a good prep.