• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Triumph driving pointers[in winter snow]NOT!

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
Whomever drives there Triumph in winter snow conditions,this is good advice;
"Its like a ballet"Whitelightning says"In other words you
almost have to become an athlete;You don't want to be very tense,and you don't wan't to be overly confident.But you need to be IN A ZONE.You need to be one with the vehicle.It has to be an extension of your limbs"...AND that apply's to ALL driving conditions for our beloved 'heel&toe' cars.
Winter & SPRING....Finese is a key word.
Cheers...Ken
PS;I do understand most are tucked away though.

amcboy

Jedi Hopeful
Bah, Its a car.

Rain, Snow, whatever.

Patience is your snow driving ally.

Plenty of rinsing the salt off though!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
"If I never take it in the salt, I will never have to rinse off the salt".

My wife, in May of 1974 after taking delivery of her brand new TR6. Gotta love her!!!

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I HATE THE COLD!!!!!

swift6

Yoda
I drive my TR8 year-round. The only time snow keeps me off the roads is when its too deep and the low TR8 gets high centered. The best advice I can give to maintaining control is to keep your revs low. Low revs mean less chance of wheel spin and if the rear wheels don't spin you have a better chance of keeping that rear end planted and moving you forward. That often means staying in a higher gear than you might normally be in.

Patience, as mentioned above, is also key. Increase your stopping distances, don't jamb on the brakes and try to stay off the brakes and on the gas (lightly) while turning.

Better than 'old fashioned snow tires', the newer winter tires are really quite good and can make a HUGE difference while plowing through the white stuff. Between the major tire manufacturers, you should still be able to find appropriate sizes four our LBC's. Otherwise, modern 'all-season' tires with good tread are still quite good in bad weather compared to older tires.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
TR4 said:
Do they still make old style snow tires to fit our TR's?
Hopefully someone does make SOMETHING in or near the 165/15 size, although I didn't see anything on Tirerack.com in that size. But then, maybe all the owners of older Beetles, Volvos and Saabs -- all of which could take that size -- don't drive their cars in winter any more.

Michelin (among others, I'm sure) makes a very nice Winter Tire in 155R13 or 175/70R13 sizes, good for Spit/GT6 and TR7/8, respectively.

Our family's Heralds used to be decent in snow with snow tires. My Mk3 Spitfire also was decent. The TR3A was horrible, but that was in part because I had 6.85 x 15 Dunlop bias-ply tires all around. Good broad, flat tread; decent for summer, but nowhere near ideal for winter conditions! And my GT6+ was pretty bad as well in snow.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

swift6

Yoda
I think Vredsteins 'bread and butter' are snow tires. Real good ones too.

-4 degrees this morning when I started up the TR8. It didn't want toget out of bed either. Transmission was like stirring molasses. Real fun. Supposed to be in the 40's by the end of the week though! Woohoo thats nearly shorts weather in these parts. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Andrew Mace said:
The TR3A was horrible, but that was in part because I had 6.85 x 15 Dunlop bias-ply tires all around. Good broad, flat tread; decent for summer, but nowhere near ideal for winter conditions!
"Back when", I felt my TR3A did pretty good in the snow as long as it didn't drag bottom too badly.

My boss once claimed his Opel GT could do anything better than my TR3A, so I waited until it snowed a bit then invited him to my place for a drink. Deliberately went up the steepest way home ... his Opel lost traction and couldn't make it up the hill. He never said another word about his car being better !

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Every victory, no matter how small, is done with accurate planning.

Nice job!!