• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Transmission oil specification--Toyota box

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The labels on the transmission oils available to me say that they are either GL-4/GL-5 or just GL-5 spec. The Red Line site (https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech4.htm)
says that GL-5 spec is bad for the life of brass syncro rings on most transmissions and points to their MTL or MT90 oil. I can't find Red Line in my local stores--does Red Line's claim seem to make sense or are they simply creating a niche for their product? This is for a Toyota 5-speed box.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Okay Jedi Wannabe I'll be happy to share my experience with the Redline products.

I've used MT 90 in my Toyota Camry V6 with a 5 speed gearbox. Shifting has improved.

I'm also currently using the 75-90MTL multi-vis is my Healey 3000 and shifting has slighlty improved over engine oil. Since it also smells different than regular engine oil, diagnosing source of leaks is easier.

Redline is also more costly over the alternatives - what you woud expect from a superior product. Hope this helps. Gonzo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Country flag
My gear box sceamed in third gear and I had trouble shifting when outside temps were high. The Red Line product MT-90 has made about 90% improvement and it seems like it is still improving with miles. Forty bucks is a very cheap fix on a Healey!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

bighly

Jedi Knight
Michael,

Try your local speed shop. I found it at a place called Speed Merchants in San Jose. Seems like racers use Redline
alot. They had it on the shelf. It also turns out to be a great source for poly bushings, aluminium and steel fuel lines and other aftermarket goodies. I found that two pieces of 60 inch fuel line (plus one union) is the exact length needed for replacing the pump to carb line on a BT7. And it came straight not coiled. So roll a pack of Viceroys in your sleeve, put your hand on the chrome skull shift knob and head on down. We know your just a gearhead spped demon at heart anyway Mike. grin

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Michael,

Using the Redline oil in my Healey trans made the shifting noticably smoother and the worn first gear much quieter. It also worked very well in my VW golf that had high milage and was notchy when running through the gears.

You can search for dealers in your area by zip code at the Redline site ....
https://www.redlineoil.com/dealers.asp

Cheers,
John

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Michael,

You can search for dealers in your area by zip code at the Redline site ....
https://www.redlineoil.com/dealers.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

John--

My zipcode is EEIIEEIIOOOO. The dealers (Advance and Autozone) in Prince Frederick are listed on the website but they never stock it.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]

My zipcode is EEIIEEIIOOOO. The dealers (Advance and Autozone) in Prince Frederick are listed on the website but they never stock it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the tractor owners haven't been clamoring for it (they don't know what they are missing). You can always mail order it directly or from the distributors in Ohio, Baltimore, etc. Looks like some will tack on about $8 - $10 for shipping/handling. Or you could just pick some up on the way to Conclave!

Cheers,
John

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Moss used to carry it and perhaps they still do. It is pictured on page 25 (front 'car care' section) but there is no listing to go with the picture.

When they had it I think they only carried 75W90 NS, whereas you may want something more like MT90.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Since I'm leaving for Conclave this coming Sunday I had to use what is on hand--a synthetic 75/80 with GL4/5 spec. Thanks everyone for the input--in the future I'll mail-order some Red Line in advance.

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
A little late, but another "hey this stuff works!" comment. My tranny shifts better, etc, too. I contacted Red Line and they told me the closest dealer which turned out to be less than a mile from where I was living at the time! Good luck on your drive, Michael!! See ya at conclave!