• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge TR8 Exhaust System

RSMTR8

Jedi Trainee
Ok,

My car is fully restored and running great! The ONLY part of the car that has not been fixed or replaced is the exhaust. I am starting to get a few more "pops" when driving not bad by any means, but the exhaust is ALL original, and has seen better days! I am thinking this will be the last summer for the pipes. SO the question is what to go with? My goal when I bought this car 3 years ago was to restore it to its ORIGINAL glory, not a hot rod or anything. But am I over thinking the exhaust? I want the car to sound "original". Call me old fashioned, but I want it to be as quiet as possible. My mechanic reccomended a place in town that does custom pipe work. Will that take away from the value of the car, and make it sound totally different? Also, what about the cats? In KY they are not needed, so I was thinking about doing away with them when I redo the exhaust! All input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Rod

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, Rod -

Mine has a couple glasspacks in the center, and two reverse-flow resonators at the rear. Great sound, yet pretty quiet. The resonators just fit behind the bumper, and I put two chrome extensions to dress it up a bit.

Here's a picture from the New Orleans show (pay no attention to the goofy-grinning guy at the wheel!).

Attachments

• 5314-TR8-N.O..jpg
    5314-TR8-N.O..jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 88

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Are not cats "original"? Why would you want to stay as close to original as possible and intentionally remove part of the original system? Bob

OP
RSMTR8

RSMTR8

Jedi Trainee
Agreed, but i figire if the entire exhaust is not going to be original, then at that point why keep them, get the extra horse power and save a few bucks by not replacing them..........I am still not sure what to do. I know Victoria British has a "Falcon" system, but I do not know anything about that system either. Trying to get some more input.

THANKS!

Rod

StagHunter

Freshman Member
The Falcon system is a close match for original equipment, except that it won't rust. It's quiet and fits well. Decent quality. If you own a 1980 drop head car, be aware that you will need to buy the "California" exhaust system. "Federal" refers only to pre-1980 49 state cars. 1980 49 state cars got the same exhaust as the pre-1980 CA cars. 1980 CA and all 1981 cars got the "EFI" exhaust system.

Confused? So was I. I bought the Federal system for my 1980 carbureted car. It fit, but not comfortably.

BTW, removing the catalysts makes the car noticably louder and increases the performance only slightly. Unless a catalyst is badly plugged up, it introduces little back pressure, contrary to popular belief. I took mine out and replaced them with test pipes and felt a little difference, but nothing earth shattering, and my wife complained about the noise. I kind of liked it.

OP
RSMTR8

RSMTR8

Jedi Trainee
So, now I am confused. Which one would I buy? I have a 1980 Convertible w/Carbs. Also, where dod u purchase oyurs from, V.B.?

Thanks!

Rod

StagHunter

Freshman Member
Hmmm... (looking at the VB catalog on line) I guess you would buy the "B" system, part number 6-0031. They only list 2 versions of the exhaust and it looks like the "B" system would fit the 1980 49 state car. And hey, it's $100 more expensive, too! Nice coincidence!

I bought mine from The Roadster Factory many years ago and they listed the systems differently. It looks like VB doesn't even list the "Federal" system. Sorry if I confused you.

Note also that the Falcon system consists of the parts that run from the converters back. If you intend to remove the converters, you need to buy a set of "test pipes" to take the place of the converters. You an get these from TSI in Ohio.

OP
RSMTR8

RSMTR8

Jedi Trainee
Nah, I have decided to keep the CATS as long as they are not clogged, and as far as I know they are fine, since my car is running great. THANKS!

Looks like I will be making a purchase at the end of the season. Again, you feel this setup is close to the original in sound and looks, and what about the very ends, is it chromed like the originals, or will I need to get some of those that slide over top to make them look chrome?

Thanks Again!

Rod

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good decision on the cats, Rod. I have a Factory Five cobra kit with cats and the cats take a lot of the unpleasant noises out of the exhaust sound. These cars normally have only short, large diameter glass pacs and can be brutal on the ears. If you prefer "quiet", cats are the way to go. By the way I have many Corvette owning friends and several of them have complained that the stainless systems do not sound like the original exhaust, FWIW. Bob