• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 window regulator channel.

35thbdaytr6

My drivers windor has suffered from a case of the wobbles since I bought the car. I have learned not to screw with this car unless I have to, as repairing one issue tends to bring out two more. finally, I decided to pull off the door panel, turns out the channel that's bonded to the window bottom is missing, the glass was riding directly on the regulator nubs. Does anyone have a parts car or spare part? I just can't see buying a new part for this. Thanks.

trboost

Jedi Trainee
If it's the strip glazing itself, you can still get it from the big three. If your mising the actual channel I think you'll have to get a junk yard or ebay regulater assembly. I don't know how it could have ever worked with out the channel anyway.
Usually it's the vertical glass channel assembly's that cause rattling & those are easily replaced with the glass still in the door.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
I would'nt be surprised if you find out you need to replace the entire regulator. I think rather than tracking down that channel that holds the glass, I'd just order a new regulator(which comes with that channel attached).
It will be no fun to trackdown, and buy, and install that channel to an old regulator,... only to find out that the whole regulator needs replacing.
You can get a new regulator, with the hardware kit for under $50.
We replaced one regulator in my car last year. Once I looked inside the doors, I decided to order the regulator for the other side, and all new window Channels with the weather strips. Gonna install that stuff if and when the weather warms up.
I also decided that since I was gonna have all that stuff apart, I may as well replace the original scratched, and pitted door glass too.
Like you said once you try to fix one thing, 2 or 3 additional problems always seem to pop up.
So look the area over thoroughly, and order everything so you can tear it apart one time and fix it all in one shot.
Oh yeah,...while I have both doors apart it will be a good opportunity to install some sound deadening material in the doors.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
My window was wobbling about as I wound it down so I took the door panel off to have a look. Just like yours, I found the glass riding on the nubs, I did find my cross channel support bar lying in the bottom of the door and reinstalled it, however it doesn't want to stay connected to the glass so I have to push down on the window as I lower it. I think I need to replace the rubber between channel and glass to hold it properly. Anyway take another look in the door.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP

35thbdaytr6

It's not there, the door only has pieces of disintegrated door panel down in it. AltaKnight, go to an autobody supply shop and get some Window Weld, it will never come loose again.

Yellowdog

35th,

I have a driver's side regulator out of a 74 if you are interested. I have not see it in a while but I think it was in pretty decent shape when stored. But, quite honestly, if a new assembly is only $50 as mentioned above, I would do that. A lot less problems and I am sure it would come with new seal.

Send a PM if interested. I will be of the 'net for a day or so, but will get back.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
That $50 quote was from The Roadster Factory catalog. I believe VB has them even cheaper.

OP

35thbdaytr6

$50 is pretty good, with my TRF discount it's even less. I suppose I'll break down and get a new one. I'm pretty sure this is the first car I've ever had that's needed everything replaced.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
Don't forget the hardware kit. I think that kit includes the rubber glazing strip that holds the glass in the channel on top of the regulator.
Make sure you ask them when you place your order