• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Stero/Radio

R6MGS

Yoda
Ok, I coulda sworn I just saw an thread about this a few days ago....but now I can't find it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif
Anyway the 6 I just bought has no radio, I NEED a radio...So I was at the local Candian Tire(auto parts store) and got a $130 CD player for $30 on clearance....Now I realised that the TR6 console has knob holes...So my problem now is did I cut the console to fit the new CD player, or do I keep the CD player for SWMBO's MGA and find an older radio that will fit the 6 properly? Also if I do go ahead with the CD player will I run into any problems with wiring and such?(for those who have done this).

Thanks
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I had a CD player installed in mine when the transmission was out. I still have my original AM-FM Bendix radio that came installed new. Yes, the console has to be cut and there is no going back. The wiring is no issue, you will just need good 8 ohm speakers to match up to the stereo.

And finally, it is truly worth it when you fire it up and put in exactly what YOU want to listen to. Aside from the engine revving, that is!

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I am not too worried about speaker right now....I am mostly irritated by the gapping hole in the dash...I usually like it listen to the exhaust note in a 6 anyway...But a little top down cruisin music is a must on those hot summer days. Glad to know the wiring isn't too bad....I've never installed an aftermarket stereo...I've always been removing and repairing my originals.

T

Tinster

The Crypt Car has the original radio and speakers
but since we have only only Spanish language stations
here on the island, the Brit radio tubes inside don't
recognize the Spanish frequencies.

The Crypt Car is getting an Ipod system, That way I
can sit in the Crypt, listen to cruising music and
pretend I hear a TR6 exhaust note behind me.

OR>>>>Maybe a really kind person would send me an Ipod
file of a TR6 running along a winding mountain road!!

Without a doubt, I have the best looking non-functional 1969ish TR6 on the island. LOL!!!!

D

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
You should go to that site that has the TR6 sound track. Download it and then you can sit in your car and pretend your out on the open road cruising thru the gears as you look at a picture of the ocean.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Ok, stupid question time....Where are the factory speakers suppose to be in a 6?

swift6

Yoda
Kidney Pads, behind the radio above transmission tunnel. They make them with or without speaker cut outs.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
ahh...ok, I don't think it has any speakers then those kidney pads were in the truck, brand new with no speakers in them. Sooooo...now I need speakers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The speakers in the front are just for balance. You need to install four (4) and put two behind the seats. You'll never hear just two in the front and you want 4 matched 8 ohm speakers. 4" units will work well for both locations.

Front Mounted in Kidney Pads:

carpet 025 (Custom).jpg

Rear Mounted in Panel:

carpet 037 (Custom).jpg

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Agree the fronts just add some presence up front. You really need some in the back. Here's another option: go to ebay and find a pair of Radio Shacks Minimus 7 speakers. They are in a very well made aluminum enclosure and have separate woofer and tweeters. I bolted these to the floor behind the seat firing upwards and they produce a really decent amount of bass and volume. Added benefits: their sound is not blocked when the top is down, they are easier to install, and wire (just under the carpet), and you get to preserve the rear panel. There are a number of these kinds of speakers but I've found the Minimus 7's indestructable (unlike most Radio Shack gear I've encountered. Good luck.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom, while Bunzil's idea is very good if you have the room and don't use the area much, I put the 4" units in the rear panel years ago. They fit nicely below the gas tank and don't take up any of the precious room in the rear seat area. Which becomes really limited with a roll bar installed.

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Since the roll bar mounts to the frame on the outside, there is room still on the floor behind the seat. I'm 6'1" and adjusted my chair rails to go back another notch, and the Minimus speakers still fit fine on the floor. Actually they are about four inches from the trans tunnel which is perfect to stand a bottle of drinking water up in. With so little space it can't tip over - instant cup holder!!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I should have known that you had a very good reason for doing it that way! What size Dunkin Donuts coffee cup will it hold without spilling?

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Come on, it's a British cup holder. It holds the cup, but still leaks!

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I noticed my car has holes cut in the carpet on the side of the footwells, but it doesn't look like speakers where ever installed there. Could I put two in there? I don't wanna start cutting the brand new interior panels(the best part of this car) if I don't have too. This will be a spring project anyway though, so I got some time to think about it.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom, mine is a JVC unit that I bought on sale at Circuit City. detachable front panel, CD, MP3, Ipod input, yada, yada. The only problem with these types of radios is that they just barely fit past the shifter, so be careful when mounting to make sure you can get it in after you modify and reinstall the console support.