• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Performance vs. Ford Ranger P/U

Tosh

Jedi Trainee
Yea, true likely by any measure. My Ranger is a 4.0 automatic. It has more straight line punch than my stock '6'.

But no way is it cooler though or more grin inducing or better sounding or more interesting or nicer looking or attention getting or just plain fun than is the TR.

Keep on.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Most modern cars to include the smaller imports will smoke most anything from the 60's. Remember that 7 seconds to 60 mph was the hallmark of Ferrari.
Take a Chrysler hemi and you'd be toast with most Honda Accords.

swift6

Yoda
When you compare your Ranger to a stock TR6 your right. But a few of us non longer have 'stock' TR6's. As Shannon (LastDeadLast) had discussed in another thread, his TR6 has harassed some much more powerful cars as has mine. My current list of harassed cars include a 2003 Mustang GT, an Audi TT Quattro and a few others I probably shouldn't say. When you compare the way a stock TR6 handles to my car, the stock car feels like a Buick. There are plenty of ways to improve the performance, both power and handling, of our beloved TR6's to where they can better keep up with more pedestrian modern traffic. I don't worry about mini-vans anymore. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This topic came up last year or the year before. Some guys on a ricer forum were trashing Triumphs. Carrying on about how their rice burner could beat a TR6. SO! There are hundreds of modern vehicles that are faster than a TR6. IMO who cares?

Bragging about a modern car being faster than a TR6 is like bragging that you can whup your grandfather.

Bragging that your MG can beat a TR6, now them's fighting words!

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Talk about fighting words... I drove the TR today and had to make a quick trip to the bank. Well apparently banks have "greeters" now, so while I was in line he came up to me and having seen me get out of the car began to tell me how much he enjoyed those cars and asked how long I'd been working on it. I replied about four years. He then asked what kind of kit car it was.... I told him it was a Mercedes replica.

G

bobh said:
This topic came up last year or the year before. Some guys on a ricer forum were trashing Triumphs. Carrying on about how their rice burner could beat a TR6. SO! There are hundreds of modern vehicles that are faster than a TR6. IMO who cares?

Bragging about a modern car being faster than a TR6 is like bragging that you can whup your grandfather.

Bragging that your MG can beat a TR6, now them's fighting words!

Maybe a TR6, but not a Bugeye Sprite - you've all seen it, but it's still funny...

Bugeye vs Ricer

T

TRDejaVu

bobh said:
This topic came up last year or the year before. Some guys on a ricer forum were trashing Triumphs. Carrying on about how their rice burner could beat a TR6.

Shows the intelligence of the average rice rocket driver. What the modern boy racers don't realize is that they don't "drive" their cars, their car computers "baby" them. Too many people these days think that they are real drivers when it is the car's electronics that are preventing them from being just another accident statistic. Put them into one of our "zero power assistance" cars for a quick run and then see how they do; of course once they got back you would have to change the seat cover to remove the stains.

swift6

Yoda
I remember reading an article back in the late 80's early 90's on the then new Corvette's getting a 'Yaw' control addition to their ABS. The engineer that helped develop it stated that it could really get you out of a jam but it wouldn't stop an idiot driver from being an idiot.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
My 4x4 3/4 ton truck can out accelerate my Tr too. After gobs of $ in engine work to build a 460 Cu.In. 400+ Hp engine and More gobs of $ to buy new tires frequently because of showing off. {the truck can smoke all four tires off of the line and accelerates vigorusly, and yes it has posi rear and detroit locker front axel} And More gobs of $ for increased insurance rates because of loss of D/L multiple times. Acceleration exhibition and other related instances {Street racing and speeding}. Whats the point of having something fast?
I find having something cool, that everyone seems to appreciate {A Tr-3}. Is much more fun. It really isn`t much easier on the wallet,{maintenance and repair/rebuild wise}. But the wife is happy that we now can pay NORMAL insurance fees like most everyone else does. Take my word for it, fast isn`t all that!

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Wait a minute. That's not an apple. That's an orange.
Comparison had me confused, there, a second.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
A TR is faster than my '06 2wd 4-cyl, on the top end. I don't know what year Ford started doing it but all Rangers have a 92mph speed regulator. Without that I'd bet it would do about 120 or so. That being said... My 4cyl. Ranger is as fast as or faster than a pushrod 4.0 and faster than a 3.0 any day! I also get 28mpg mixed, and for the attention getter side, it's Screaming Yellow. I'd rather drive my Stag instead... It's just too hard to keep clean! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

G

But mine's more affectionate /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
<span style='font-family: Arial Black'>My Karma hit your Dogma'</span> /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
It's not the size that counts......