• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Drive Shaft Cover

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
My "Six" (bought in 1000 pcs)came without the heavy cardboard cover for the driveshaft tunnel. Anyone have a spare? Looks like the original type is not easy to source. I'm getting the interior ready for carpet and I am sure this piece will need to be there to make it look better. Are the plastic replacements solid enough to sit stuff one.
Thanks.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Mine was somewhat crushed, but still held the basic shape. Leaving it in place I simply fiber glassed over it. Not hard to do, just a little mat and resin. A lot cheaper then $60 plus shipping.

Ray

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
bailee2 said:
I'm getting the interior ready for carpet and I am sure this piece will need to be there to make it look better.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Yeah, you definitely something in there to keep the carpet off the driveshaft. You might be able to make one out of a thin piece of sheet metal.

G

The abs plastic cover that covers the steel driveshaft tunnel simply covers the tunnel and the emergency brake mechanism, has nothing to do with protecting you from the driveshaft. You can repair it if you want but much, much easier to slip a new one on, 5 sheet metal screws. The only thing that scares me a little it that U-joint spinning right by your thigh with nothing more than a thin piece of cardboard (or abs plastic) protecting you. I wonder if any of these things have ever let loose?

TR674

Jedi Warrior
bailee2
I was (and still am) considering fibreglassing my carboard cover and putting some foil insulation over it also. When the gear box gets warm, a lot of the heat is transferred to the inside of the car, even with the standard under carpet insulation.
Regards
Craig

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
The fiberglass treatment, BOTH inside and out, side works great for keeping the cover in shape and waterproof. The insulating may be better placed on the underside of the cover. There are some insulating sheets that would do well under the entire passenger compartment in place of the conventional underlayment. Noise will be reduced as well as well as the heat.
Go for it.

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
TR6BILL said:
The abs plastic cover that covers the steel driveshaft tunnel simply covers the tunnel and the emergency brake mechanism, has nothing to do with protecting you from the driveshaft. You can repair it if you want but much, much easier to slip a new one on, 5 sheet metal screws. The only thing that scares me a little it that U-joint spinning right by your thigh with nothing more than a thin piece of cardboard (or abs plastic) protecting you. I wonder if any of these things have ever let loose?

I thought the same thing when putting in the V8. I found a 5 x 16 inch piece of 1/2 thick steel well pipe. Bought it for $15 at a scrap yard. I cut it lengthwise in half(composite wheel on a side grinder) and welded two 3/8 plates to it. Came out with the same shape as the tunnel. Cut an opening for the brake bracket. It fit over the driveshaft tunnel perfectly. It cost about $25 materials - and my time.
Sure don't want to be intimate with anything spinning like that driveshaft.

Jeff