• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4--Clicking Like Tappets

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I said "I'll figure it out," but I haven't, yet.

I adjusted the tappets and riched up the carb mixture which was way too lean.

But I still get this sort of rhythmic metallic clicking every few seconds. Timing is right on, and so is the point gap.

I'm sure you know what I'm worried about. The chain, chain tensioner or something worse.

Any ideas short of removing my timing cover. I really don't like that exercise.

Last edited:
OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I edited my post above to state what was going on and current status. Basically, I've got this sort of rhythmic metallic clicking. I love these cars, but they sure do require some patience and faith.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I guess you're just not old enough to enjoy these cars yet.

Clicking noises -- whooshing air sounds -- someday when your hearing is as bad as mine you'll not have these issues. First indication is when you lose hearing in the frequency range that includes female voices.

Possibly helpful comment -- I use a stethoscope from Harbor Freight to pinpoint the source of noises. Timing chain/tensioner will be quite obvious when you touch the tip of that thing to the timing cover. If it is tappets -- I have always felt that if I can't hear them then they are too tight (i.e. I expect some noise there).

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I keep hearing a voice saying "don't worry about it unless it gets worse." And I'm ignoring that voice and getting that stethoscope. It's definitely something. I was hoping for a wobbling bumper bolt or fastener somewhere, but not so. If it's that tensioner I won't be happy. That will likely mean the inside face of the cover is all torn up.

I remember years ago ignoring a funny noise and then finding there was no filler plug in my transmission.

You know, the real reason I'm chasing these issues is that I'm determined to drive this old car to California this summer with some appropriate Led Zeppelin music to make it go even better. Virtually all off the Interstates. I guess I could check in the PUB but I'm wondering what Triumph events might be out there later this summer (or fall if I can wait). Just do It.

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Wear on the face of the rockers will cause a valve adjustment with a feeler gage to still be loose.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
KVH, Have you pulled the distributor out lately or did you do a rebuild? The reason I ask, if you don't get the float right on the gears that drive he distributor, it will make a ticking noise if it's a bit tight that sounds just like a tappet. It really does need those paper washer between the base of the distributor and the block.

Wayne

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Use a screwdriver or stethoscope and listen thru the valve cover, then listen at the timing cover (careful of fan) possibly worn timing tensioner, but at least you'll be loser to the source of sound. Check manifols for hairline cracks, etc. Timing cover is relatively easy to get to and pull.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Tried the stethoscope. $2.99 at HF! Engine seems smooth and quiet. The sound seems to be from the generator or maybe the belt, but slight. I'll keep checking and report back. In not very concerned anymore but I'll still chase it down and check the generator mounting points while I'm at it.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Check the belt tension. If it's too tight, you may burn out your generator or water pump bearings. You should have at least 1/2 inch of free play, perhaps a little more. As long as it doesn't slip, a bit loose is better than too tight.

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It's not impossible that it's the belt. I had some real problems with a low quality belt making an infuriating squeak/ticking noise. I tried everything: belt dressing, adjusting tension, cleaning pullies - nothing worked. Replacement belt finally fixed it.

The offensive belt looked perfectly fine. So, I suspect it was something in the internal construction of the belt that was breaking down.

Good luck

Bob

texbears3

Freshman Member
Check for an exhaust gasket leak. Feel for a puff of hot gas around the exhaust gaskets, but do not get burned.
Sometime they sound like a lifter.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If you are looking for a California venue this coming fall , you should consider the combination Vintage Triumph Register National Convention and Triumphest event. It is October 2-6. It is in San Rafael near San francisco. I am sure you TR would love to see some of it's brothers/ sisters.

https://www.triumphtravelers.org should get you all the info you want.
Charley Fitch