• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tr-2 Clutch Problem

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am just finishing the restoration of my 54 TR-2 Long Door. The engine has been rebuilt and a new clutch installed. The Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder are new.

I have bled the system but the slave cylinder is apparently not moving the clutch lever enough for it to go into gear. It moves about 2", but not enough for the throw bearing to release the pressure plate. All I get is a noisy grind, when trying to put it into gear?

Dick Vinal

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
As I recall on my 3, the plate thru which the M/C goes can be mounted fore or aft of the bell housing flange and the bolt hole ears on the M/C can be fore or aft of the plate. (I am less sure of the former.) These mountings affect proximity of the M/C to the bellcrank and produce inadequate throw.

Bob

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I think aft on both, but am pretty sure about the plate. My car is in NC and I in Fl or I would look. Aft would put your slave closer to the bellcrank. Maybe John will be back soon and give us an authoritative answer.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Do you still have the master cylinder you removed. You may have to short of push rod on the new master cylinder. I replaced mine and couldn’t bet full travel cause of this.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
try this

Attachments

• Fig6Clutchslavecylinderlinkage-11.jpg
    Fig6Clutchslavecylinderlinkage-11.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 88
OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Do you still have the master cylinder you removed. You may have to short of push rod on the new master cylinder. I replaced mine and couldn’t bet full travel cause of this.
No, I threw it away. Can you order a longer push rod for the clutch side of the MC?

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Every master cylinder I have order wither for clutch or brake came with the rods. I just swapped rods. I did notice when I replaced mine it wa# shorter but at the time didn’t think it would be a issue. May have a old one still.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I checked my slave cylinder and it is aft of the bell housing flange. When I installed the new slave cylinder, I noticed that the rod was about 1" shorter then my old one. I used the longer rod thinking i would get more throw?

Dick 1954 TR-2

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I would unhook the spring then push the guts back in the slave to the end of the piston by hand and set assembly linkage with a very little play more like a slight click so that there is some play and then try that to see if the clutch works without the spring. If it does, hook the spring up and see if the spring stops the travel and the clutch from working. If it does, then try a different spring. Some cars do not have springs.

The adjustment on the clutch is like 1/8 of an inch of slop in a hydraulic system without pressure on the system ( kind of like a brake system just sitting there), and I believe the spring is there in hopes the hydraulic linkage system from its own weight does not push the rod onto the TOB and cause it to drag a tiny bit some, but again I think they drag some. At least that is what I think I hear when the car is in neutral and running. If the spring is wrong, it acts like a steel rod at some point and will not let the rod out.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was using the old spring and a hint in the Forum suggested I ntry the Spring that roadster Fac. sells for a Girling System; which I have. The new one was alot stronger then the old one.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When you changed the clutch did you check the taper lock bolt in the clutch release fork? a broken bolt is enough to stop the clutch from releasing.

Graham

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
No I didn't, little late now that the transmission is installed? Will have to look at my manual and see what the taper lock bolt is? When I bought the car, it had been taking a 30 year nap so don't don't know what was working?

Thanks again for your responses; wish I had someone in the Orlando area I could work with.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Rebuilding a project car that someone body started makes for some challenges because of the mixed page of parts. If you put a new clutch in, then the pin bolt would need to be moved to replace the TOB. Did you use the existing clutch?

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Nobody had touched the car in those 30 years. I replaced the clutch with new pressure plate, disc and throw out bearing.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Can you measure the movement of the actuating lever from front to rear? Mine is obviously not moving enough to pull the pressure plate away from the flywheel?

Dick

colbtr

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have also just been through the process of putting together my TR2 engine and gearbox but fortunately had a read through of the Roger Williams Restoring Tr’s and discovered the broken pin issue. My car had a late clutch release and late take up when I was driving it all those years ago so I removed the bolt and yep the pin was sheared. There was enough interference to activate the clutch but it was only a matter of time. I ordered the new heavy duty pin from our Australian TR Register shop and there is no free play under load.
I am sorry to say it is likely your only solution is to remove the gearbox.

Colin

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TR2's have the slave mounted behind the bracket. It's also a different slave.

Slave.jpg