• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tony-Doc, OD solenoid gasket change

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I need to change the gasket on the little square solenoid plate on under the OD unit. It has a small drip. I tightened up the bolts as they weren't tight and the gasket still has a slight drip after running. Do I need to drop the oil in the transmission to do this? Is the gasket soft or hard material? PJ

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Gasket is soft material...however:

I'm not sure which gasket is "under the OD unit". The early filter gasket is square - but its on the side of the OD unit.....the late sump gasket is rectangular & also on the side of the OD

Both will lose some oil if removed....

& if you have on of them coming directly from the bottom of the OD, your unit is turned incorrectly.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd say drain it first (good opp to change it anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). The gasket under the little "number plate" is what you're going for, right? Asking because the bigger sump gasket is a screen type and not the same. If I remember correctly the little one is standard "paper" gasket. Remember there's a plunger, spring and ball up in there, and gravity always wants a sacrifice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif If you can get the old one to let go without damage, use Permatex Hylomar and put it back. If it's junk then a small roll of gasket material, about 0.150" thickness from a local parts house would be fine to make a new one, and Hylomar that'n.

Wait for Tony or others to pap up on this as it's been a while since I've been through an O.D., and I ain't battin' the 1K lately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's the gasket I thought he was talking about, Doc...& since he said "square", I assumed he has an early OD unit
..the "under" threw me as its to the side.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
'72 MGB IIRC, LH OD ...and the small plate's a real BOOGER to actually get off and on! Where's them tranny elves when ya need 'em?!

EDIT: And clean the threads in the case and bolts, Hylomar them as well. I think a couple of 'em are drilled all the way through.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I have to go out to the shop and look at the plate to make sure of what side it's on. It is on the bottom for sure. It's about two inches square with four bolts. I'll get back to you. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Tony-Doc, The plate is two inches square and it's right next to the drain plug. The plate has "Lacock LH Type" written on it. Also there's a serial no. on it. It's on the drivers side of the unit on the bottom. All four bolts have a drop of oil on them. It's leaking for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif PJ

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, bottom of driver's side but not underneath the OD...you got it!

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
That's not a drain plug so don't remove it unless you catch all the parts in the correct order. That plug is for the relief valve assembly. The leak is most likely the triangular seal over the solenoid wire. It's probably too late but you do not have to drain the gearbox to change the gasket and seal.

Alan T

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Alan, No I didn't drain any oil out yet and I'm glad you told me about the "PLUG" that I shouldn't remove. I kind of thought that I might not have to drain the oil, as it only leaks when I run the car. It doesn't leak just setting still. But I'll have a drain pan handy anyway when I go to work on it. Yes there's a wire that goes in from the side and I also thought that it's seal might be part of the problem. We'll give it a look tomorrow. PJ