• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hap, Doc, Tony, have you heard of this stuff?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Made by Valco
Glube_sc.jpg

If so, is it any good? Says it's for engine reassembly. My concern is initial cam lobe protection.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Never heard of it. That doesn't mean much, tho. I assemble with lith white grease if it is going in and being run soon. If it's gonna sit a while (white grease tends to 'solidify' if left for long) it gets put together with a 50/50 "slurry" of motor oil and STP...

I just KNOW Hap's gonna jump my case for that. :jester:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I use the STP method also. One thing I can't get through my head is, we built race engines out of the old flat head Fords back when I was a kid and they were hard lifters. We didn't have cam lobe break in problems and we were using high lift and long duration cams from Isky, Crane etc. Are the cams today of a poorer quality? We even increased the spring pressures to prevent float. Kinda puzzles me why these new cams are so delicate.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've had no issues with Crane, can't speak to what some others are supplying. I suspect we're seeing the same thing with cams and lifters as with other bits: third-world (lack of) Quality Control. If you lube the cam and use a good (zinc content) oil to do the run-in, there shouldn't be a problem... ~IF~ the parts are properly manufactured.

Which engine is this, Paul? A "spare" or going in right away?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Nope - I udse white lithium also except when stuffing oil pumps - then I use vaseline.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
I've had no issues with Crane, can't speak to what some others are supplying. I suspect we're seeing the same thing with cams and lifters as with other bits: third-world (lack of) Quality Control. If you lube the cam and use a good (zinc content) oil to do the run-in, there shouldn't be a problem... ~IF~ the parts are properly manufactured.

Which engine is this, Paul? A "spare" or going in right away?

It's a 72 spare Doc. I want to build it back to new condition, with a slight exception of cylinder overbore. Then I'll probably "pickle it", and store it until I need it. Have a 77 engine to rebuild also. Something to do until I get another car to build. Don't know what that's going to be, I have a bunch of "B" parts, but would like a TF. Does Crane make MG cams?

R

RonMacPherson

I have a friend with considerable experience in aircooled Porsches. His shop also does Volvo and BMW's. He uses this on his cam train on his engine rebuilds...

He recommends it. The Valco lube.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Paul said:
Does Crane make MG cams?

The cam in Herself's B is a mild Crane. I've fitted 'em to a number of customers engines, too. Haven't had to source one for a number of years but I'd bet they'll sell ya any grind you'd want.

Ron said:
I have a friend with considerable experience in aircooled Porsches. His shop also does Volvo and BMW's. He uses this on his cam train on his engine rebuilds...

This may provoke some discussion, but: Porsche is an exception I make with regard to valve-train prelube and sealants. I use "Porsche" materials and parts throughout. Assembly lube, sealants, gasket sets, everything. The customer is NOT coming back to me whining about this or that not being "correct". They pay the price, not me. The other is Ferrari. I have seen some sinful things... I will never be accused of taking "short-cuts" with those cars. *I* know it's a matter of perception in most cases, but too many "experts" lurk in the wings. :wink:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
Paul said:
Does Crane make MG cams?

The cam in Herself's B is a mild Crane. I've fitted 'em to a number of customers engines, too. Haven't had to source one for a number of years but I'd bet they'll sell ya any grind you'd want.

Thanks Doc for the info. While looking up Crane cams, I ran across this. Interesting, very interesting!
https://www.cranecams.com/pdf/Page175.pdf

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:wink: :thumbsup:

Country flag
DrEntropy said:
They pay the price, not me.

When it comes to lubes and oils and such like the cost, even for the most extortionate stuff, is trivial as part of the total cost.

Just rebuilt my Lotus 907 engine and I'm using the "factory" oil filter(£15) for the run-in, I could use a cheaper "equivalent": but it's not "worth" it for an engine that cost as much as this one did....

R

RonMacPherson

All his hard parts are from Porsche, or the aftermarket race shop in California, can't remember the name. His sealants are Permatex and Gaskacinch. His lubricants are his selection. Usually Castrol. His Cam lube is the Valco stuff. I asked him about it several years ago, when I first saw him using it on a 930 engine and he referred me to a site of comparisons. That hard drive has since gone to bye-bye land..

Just about every year he takes his vacation at one of the 12 hour races where he works in the Porsche pits... I give him credence..

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
's all good, Ron. I don't doubt the Valco lube works just fine. I may likely try it on the next engine I rebuild for myself.

My issue wasn't with the variety or efficacy of the lubes, rather the perceptions of customers... if one walked into the shop as I was screwing his engine together, having all the Porsche labeled goo eliminates the "Twenty Questions" game.

"All Official. Nothin' but th' best for YOU, Sir." :smirk:

R

RonMacPherson

I agree, in principle. Sadly the German auto industry has a record of "upgrading" chemicals frequently.

Remember the 103 Benz motor with the front cover seal leaks. In two years Benz went through three different sealing compounds before they finally settled on "The Right Stuff". Just packaged in their container. Right after they switched to it, Benz did not have enough in the parts pipeline, our dsm told us to get it from the parts store. It was just "The Right Stuff", licensed to be repackaged by Benz...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. I'm about to glue an Alfa gearbox together with it! :wink: