• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Hap will be on track sooner than thought :]

Offline
Long story short I had MGB GT race car project I was planiing on building it was a already good start on a race car I got from Tony Barnhill's family, but something else just popped up very surprisely, that I could not turn down.

I've been helping Fred McConnell over the lat few years develop what I beleive is one of the best prepared vintage race MGB in the country, you name it, this car has it, well Fred decided he wanted to go SCCA racing in a F-prod Miata and was going to sell the vintage MGB racer, well as it turns out this car I built the engines and carbs for and help with many other aspects of devloping the car, will be mine very shortly. I plan on racing it for the first time at the VDCA finale at Roebling Road in Dec.

Here' pic of the car.
 

Attachments

  • 25733.jpg
    25733.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 324

drooartz

Moderator
Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Offline
WOOHOO! Boy you're gonna have a good time with that one.

You keeping the street BGT?
 
OP
Hap Waldrop
Offline
drooartz said:
WOOHOO!
You keeping the street BGT?

No unfortunately, thats part of the trade, building the new 1900cc hot rod for it now and installing a new T9 5 speed as well as new set of 15x6 VTO Retro 4s, I'll get to test drive it a few times, to make sure all the bugs are worked out, and then it will be Fred's street car. The decision did not come with some stressful thinking. I always thought my wife ennjoyed our outings in the mountains with the street GT, but as it turns out, she tells me I drive that car like a idiot and she never enjoyed riding in that car with me, and I was a absolute fool if I didn't get the race car, not that I look to her for decisions on these types of things, we're pretty cool about staying out each other's passions, but it was sort of a blessing to get the race car, so I went for it. I really like that street GT, and like Fred, I guess if I had to get rid of my baby, I could think of no other person I rather have it, than him. I guess all good things in life come at a cost. I'll get another street car at some point.
 

drooartz

Moderator
Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Offline
Makes sense, Hap. I figure that unless one has Jay Leno's budget that something has to go out when something else goes in. I know that I'm currently over my limit, so one will probably go at some point. That's how we get to try lots of things. That race car is going to be good fun.

Hap Waldrop said:
I alway s thought my wife ennjoyed our outing in the mountain with the street GT, but as it turns out, she tells me I drive that car like a idiot and she never enjoyed riding in that car with me
:lol:

Had to laugh -- my wife probably thinks the same thing about how I drive my cars. I just normally don't invite her along on a sporting drive. :smile:
 

AngliaGT

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Offline
Hap,

What are you going to do with Tony's GT?

- Doug
 

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Offline
Well at least you'll have Kipper's head. :wink:
I hope you plan on leading the parade laps at CMP
this fall. Mimi hopes so...for her sake.
:jester:

Let me know when you dyno that monster and we'll shoot some video for the masses.
:cheers:
 
Country flag
Online
Hap--

Congratulations--The car looks great and I'll see you at Roebling Road
 
OP
Hap Waldrop
Offline
David, yes Inkabod the head is coming home :smile:

Tony's GT, we'll see what we do with that car, several ideas have popped up, a hillclimb/autocross car, maybe even back to a street car, not ready to throw it to the wood pile anytime soon.

Michael, yep see you at Roebling in Dec., the oysters on me buddy :wink:
 

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Country flag
Offline
Whadda MONSTAH!!! Just curious, but what gearbox is in there?

Geez, Hap! I believe you hit the "mother lode"!! :thumbsup:
 
OP
Hap Waldrop
Offline
DrEntropy said:
Whadda MONSTAH!!! Just curious, but what gearbox is in there?

Geez, Hap! I believe you hit the "mother lode"!! :thumbsup:

It's got a straight cut/close ratio, it was built new with Jack Knight gears by John at Quantum, it may have 6 races on it from new, the race engine I built just few months ago has one race weekend on it, it got everyhting you could throw at MGB race engine, the HS6 race prep carbs I built about 4 races ago, most everything on the car is almost new. Oh and Barry at VTO is making sure I have a couple sets of the new 14x6 VTO wheels on the car as well.

I'm real lousy at linking sites, but if you go to youtube, and plug in Jefferson 500, you'll see a good in car video of Fred driving the car at that race, he starts at the rear of the pack for the first enduro, and passes a ton of cars, but you get to see and hear the new motor, it's doing really well.

I guess in closing it's kinda neat, because not only am I getting a new race car, it's not new to me, in the terms I know exactly what is in the car and have been part of the devlopment of the car from the get go.
 

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Country flag
Offline
Hap said:
I guess in closing it's kinda neat, because not only am I getting a new race car, it's not new to me, in the terms I know exactly what is in the car and have been part of the devlopment of the car from the get go.

MUCH better that steppin' out with a car "unknown" to you!!! I don't think I'd even be <span style="font-style: italic">tempted</span> to field one I hadn't had a <span style="font-style: italic">big</span> part in constructing.

This is <span style="font-weight: bold">sooo cool!!!</span> :thumbsup:

...I'm officially jealous, BTW. :wink:
 

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Offline
Hap Waldrop said:
DrEntropy said:
Whadda MONSTAH!!! Just curious, but what gearbox is in there?

Geez, Hap! I believe you hit the "mother lode"!! :thumbsup:

It's got a straight cut/close ratio, it was built new with Jack Knight gears by John at Quantum, it may have 6 races on it from new, the race engine I built just few months ago has one race weekend on it, it got everyhting you could throw at MGB race engine, the HS6 race prep carbs I built about 4 races ago, most everything on the car is almost new. Oh and Barry at VTO is making sure I have a couple sets of the new 14x6 VTO wheels on the car as well.

I'm real lousy at linking sites, but if you go to youtube, and plug in Jefferson 500, you'll see a good in car video of Fred driving the car at that race, he starts at the rear of the pack for the first enduro, and passes a ton of cars, but you get to see and hear the new motor, it's doing really well.

I guess in closing it's kinda neat, because not only am I getting a new race car, it's not new to me, in the terms I know exactly what is in the car and have been part of the devlopment of the car from the get go.

Maybe this will work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jNM4-2nbOM
 

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Offline
That's a fast MGB!

And the driver is no slouch either!
 
OP
Hap Waldrop
Offline
Twosheds said:
That's a fast MGB!

And the driver is no slouch either!


Yeah I built the engine and carbs, it's got everything you would ever want in a good MGB race motor, Fred don't play, he knew what he wanted, and thats what we built, it's only one race old, never thought it would end up being mine as I built it :banana:. As for Fred, he's probably the best young driver I ever worked with, his secret is, he actually listened to me :smile: now the teacher has to see if he can be as fast as the student :driving:
 

Nunyas

Yoda
Offline
wow... that wasa great vid... found myself cheering him on when he started overtaking the 911 around 4:45 in the video... :laugh:


that's one fast MGB...


one question though...

what's that jolly red candy like button on the steering wheel do? I saw the driver push it a couple of times on the long straights...
 
OP
Hap Waldrop
Offline
Nunyas said:
wow... that wasa great vid... found myself cheering him on when he started overtaking the 911 around 4:45 in the video... :laugh:


that's one fast MGB...


one question though...

what's that jolly red candy like button on the steering wheel do? I saw the driver push it a couple of times on the long straights...


The red button is the two way radio, he was talking to me.
 

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Country flag
Offline
:lol:

Ya shoulda told 'im it was th' <span style="font-weight: bold">KERS</span> button! :devilgrin:
 

Nunyas

Yoda
Offline
hahah

I thought it might have been a "NOS" button, but then I remembered this isn't hollywood :jester:
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Articles by Hap Waldrop reg engine disassembly and assembly Spridgets 1
BlueMax "Thanks Hap" Spridgets 5
Mickey Richaud MGB Thanks, Hap! MG 5
PAUL161 Carb rebuilder? Hap? MG 5
PAUL161 Question for Hap and Others. 140 hp XPEG? MG 1
Basil Happy Birthday Hap! MG 8
I How do I get a hold of Hap? Spridgets 2
Scott_Hower Hap started my head... Yay! Spridgets 13
bugedd VTO wheel fit issues, help Hap! Spridgets 24
B Where's Hap? Spridgets 12
G Hey Hap, got $25 ??? Spridgets 16
PAUL161 Hap-- Exhaust manifold/header paint? MG 2
PAUL161 Hap, Crane cams? MG 6
jmwuva05 Another one of Hap's masterpieces Spridgets 4
T Hap - some TR guys need rims from you Spridgets 1
T Hap - 175/70/13 or 185/70/13 for your Superlights? Spridgets 26
jmwuva05 Hap and my engine Spridgets 5
mccalebr Hap's engine build log Spridgets 7
DrEntropy For Hap and th' Day: MG 9
mccalebr Eye candy - Hap's HS2 carbs Spridgets 20
M 1275 Engine Rebuild - Especially Hap! Spridgets 11
PAUL161 Hap, Doc, Tony, have you heard of this stuff? Restoration & Tools 14
mccalebr Hap's 1275 engine builds for Ray and Drew Spridgets 15
T Hap, what is that thing...? MG 14
B Thanks Hap! Spridgets 3
jlaird Hap, I need help Spridgets 0
64rocksprite 12G295 question...Hap?? Spridgets 4
healeyboz New seats and Hap's Carbs Spridgets 14
jlaird Morning Hap Spridgets 0
jlaird Hap Spridgets 2
PAUL161 Got My HIFs Back from Hap. You were right Doc! MG 4
Hamish Racing TR2/3/3A TR3a track fun in uk Triumph 2
Hamish Racing TR2/3/3A Fast Road TR3a on figure of 8 sprint track - UK Triumph 10
rr64 Wanted Early MGB Inner Steering Track Rods Wanted MG Classifieds 1
J TR6 seat track location on new pans without holes for seats Triumph 2
J TR6 75 TR 6 seat track location Triumph 11
Lotus Club SoCal Streets of Willow Track Day Lotus 1
C Classic Sports Racing Group at Sonoma Raceway/ Track ride. Austin Healey 2
H Photos of Longbridge BN4 door seal track. Austin Healey 5
Marvin Gruber Bj8 seat track assembly Austin Healey 12
Lotus Club SoCal Prymr Track Day – Friday, December 9th, 2016 Lotus 1
Lotus Club SoCal So Cal Track Event Lotus 0
TomMull Post-War Other Herald seat track mount Triumph 5
turtle Hemi Healy Back on the Track Austin Healey 3
Sherlock Spokane Race Track, has anyone been there? Racing 3
B Marlboro race track Austin Healey 8
Boggsy64 MGB Back on track MG 2
Gundy Track day at Daytona Other Cars 15
3798j TR2/3/3A TR at Spa Race Track Museum Triumph 4
N 3" difference between front and rear track Spridgets 5

Similar threads

Top