• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Temp gauges on brit race cars?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
My TR3 daily driver blew a bypass hose and lost a gallon of coolant and the gauge still read 185F! What kind of gauge do racers use to monitor engine temperature? I'd like to be forewarned of overheating and the stock gauge isnt telling me anything.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Karl--

The temperature sender on your TR3 is normally immersed in coolant but when the coolant is lost whether through a blown hose or boiling over the sender is then sitting in steam and will not give you a reading of the situation. Since what happened is unlikely to occur again (maybe it is time to check all your hoses) and the stock guage should be fine for you.

Most racers use Auto-Meter mechanical guage but if used in the same sending port the result would be the same. There are adaptors that allow you to place the sender into one of the coolant lines but still if there is no water the indication will not be accurate. Perhaps you might want to consider a temerature sender that attaches to the block or head and sends a signal at a predetermined temperature that activates an idiot light--if placed near your line of sight it might catch your eye as the temperature was on the rise, allowing you to shut down and save the engine.

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
We run a coolant pressure warning light on the dash. It's a blue light (so it's different than high temp and low oil psi), but it goes on when the coolant system pressure drops.

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I use the original stock Smith's "safety gauge" for both my oil pressure and water temperature in my 1959 Austin Healey 3000. It is still very accurate for both water temp and oil pressure.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Got_All_4 Wedge Speedo/temp gauges TR7 Triumph 7
Andrew Mace Wedge TR7 fuel and temp. gauges not working Triumph 28
Eleven GT6 GT6 Temp Gauges Triumph 3
J TR4/4A TR4 gas and temp gauges don't work Triumph 7
RJS TR4/4A Smiths Oil Temp Gauge Triumph 11
G Smith's temp gauge repair Restoration & Tools 4
MikeAH100M High Temp Engine Miss Austin Healey 2
RJS TR4/4A TR4A Temp Gauge Scale Triumph 6
Martinld123 Problems with my BN2 Temp Gauge reading Austin Healey 13
shadowfever Water temp Spridgets 9
Govtslug TR6 Coolant Temp Q Triumph 4
EWD TR6 Temp Gauge - 74 TR6 Triumph 11
Editor_Reid Water Temp Gauge Austin Healey 5
H TR4/4A 67 tr4a runs rough and losses power when hot but not over normal temp Triumph 14
J TR6 73 TR6 Temp Gauge Wiring Question Triumph 6
Rut Bugeye 1275 temp probe placement. Spridgets 8
B For Sale Triumph Tr3 Fuel gauge Temp gauge Oil pressure gauge, speedometer tachometer Triumph Classifieds 0
S TR2/3/3A temp gauge sealer Triumph 7
W Electrics, fuel system, under bonnet temp. Austin Healey 3
S TR2/3/3A removing the temp gauge needle Triumph 5
T TR2/3/3A Where is best spot to check temp with infrared thermometer? Triumph 17
DugMoney Need Advice - Moving Temp Gauge Sensor 1275 Spridgets 3
M Proper running temp for 1275 Spridgets 28
JFS TR2/3/3A Radiator fan temp probe Triumph 3
D TR2/3/3A tr3 temp guage capillary tube thread size Triumph 3
JFS TR2/3/3A Temp Sensor Removal Triumph 6
S TR4/4A Temp guage problem Triumph 5
R Capillary tube temp gauge Austin Healey 7
R TR2/3/3A TR3A tired temp gauge Triumph 5
RickPA Water temp gauge reads low Austin Healey 6
F TR2/3/3A Water Temp Triumph 10
vette Threads for the Water Temp Sender Austin Healey 6
R water temp bulb loose Austin Healey 27
C Wanted Sunbeam Alpine 1, II Water Temp Electrical sending unit.[Or one that will work] Other British Classifieds 1
Superwrench Oil Pressure/ Water temp Gauge Austin Healey 17
K TR2/3/3A Temp gauge capillary tube routing? Triumph 11
Gundy Temp gauge on Mk3 Midget Spridgets 4
M water temp gauge Spridgets 7
A TR4/4A Tr4A temp gauge doesn't work Triumph 19
Sopwith_Camel temp Jaguar 8
T TR4/4A How hot at radiator neck when temp gauge is reading innthe middle Triumph 6
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Need a temp glass Triumph 11
B Temp gauge capillary tube Austin Healey 3
P Temp. Probe for 1275 with Bugeye Radiator? Spridgets 21
Jim_Gruber Temp sensor wire spring re attachment to probe Spridgets 3
KVH TR4/4A Infrared Thermometer for Radiator Temp Triumph 6
Stewart MGB Temp sender issues MG 4
J Picture of temp gauge , Austin Mini British Motor Corp 2
Mink TR4/4A Temp gauge/sender question Triumph 15
N Temp Gauge No-Go Spridgets 5