• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedometer removal

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Well, I have got nowhere attempting to remove the speedometer. (I'm trying to remove it so that I can access the rear of the choke cable attachment, to loosen that.)

Any tips gratefully received.

Today I have POR15'ed the driver's footwell and the base of trunk, rebuilt the clutch master cylinder, painted the pedal box and cover, found a bicycle water bottle that fits perfectly in the holder for the washer fluid bottle, and retrofitted the lid of it to take the tube fittings (my washer bottle was missing), and relocated the washer bottle holder so that the new bottle fits under the hood. So I am making some progress.

I'm also talking to Tony about ordering some used parts. Yay!

The clutch cylinder dismantled (much easier than the brake cylinder!):
https://static.flickr.com/96/275743488_ba7382e806_o.jpg

And fitted, reassembled with new rubber parts etc.:
https://static.flickr.com/94/275743520_ec989d8ea1_o.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Have you removed the 2 thumb nuts holding the flanges to the rear of the speedo?

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
No ... I can't easily get my hand up there. I think I can feel the nut on the right hand side, but there's no access I can find to the other. I must be missing something.

Would it be simpler to just remove the whole console?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No, if you can't get your hands up under there, remove the driver seat & lay down on the floor....

Steve_S

Yoda
Child labor comes to mind for getting behind the dash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You can also get a used water bottle and holder very inexpensively from many places, including from Tony.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
yep, saw maybe half a dozen setting on a shelf.

gjoakes

Freshman Member
Julian,

Do yourself a favor and take out the Tachometer first. Its quite easy (compared to the speedometer) and it makes the speedometer much more accessible - especially the left thumb nut.

GJ Oakes

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
yep, saw maybe half a dozen setting on a shelf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack, I should've had you do a complete inventory! hehehehe

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
But but, I did. Well mostly, but was looking for Sprite and Midget stuff mostly.

List to follow one of these days, hehe.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I have now removed 1) the heater control, 2) the tachometer, in order to remove 3) the speedometer.

I still cannot reach the choke cable :-( I guess I should continue removing stuff. It's a good job I did remove the heater control: it was completely grunged up, so it is now soaking in WD40.

The speedometer has me puzzled. To extract it I removed the drive cable and the bulb. But there is an opening on the rear of the speedometer for another attachment: it's the odometer reset. Inside the opening is a pin which, when turned, resets the odometer.

But there is no trace of any connection for this behind the dash. Any idea what's going on here? Where is the odometer reset button/knob in a '73 GT?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Have you removed the seats so you can lay down on your back & look straight up with a light? That's all I ever do & can reach anything from that position....

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
I removed the passenger seat a while back: it was a real b**ger! But I will do the driver's seat, following your advice, and see if looking up behind there helps.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This may require *mirrors* and suchlike... ala David Copperfield.

IIRC: your speedo will have an angle drive on the back of the head (others more familiar with the "newer" models should chime in here!) and a short cable with a knurled plastic knob for the trip odo. A pin thru the "stub" at the instrument is the connecting point where the reset (short) "cable" attaches. The choke cable fastener will be a 3/4" nut on the back of the cable housing to secure it to the dash. A "crow's foot" wrench will be invaluable for this task...as would gymnastics training.

With good lighting and a round extendable mirror (think oversized dentist's tool) you should be able to see what you're after to undo the cable.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Thanks DrEntropy!

I know I have a knurled plastic knob just under the dash, and was wondering what it was for. I have a horrible feeling that it's missing the attachment cable to the speedo. Ugh.

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks DrEntropy!

I know I have a knurled plastic knob just under the dash, and was wondering what it was for. I have a horrible feeling that it's missing the attachment cable to the speedo. Ugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if you're "lucky" the cable is there, just not connected to the speedo. Doing it by feel, the cable is kinda thick like a chubby accelerator cable but it's short - maybe a foot and some change.

R.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Yes! The cable is there. It was hiding :smile: