• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sliding sidescreens

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
Although ncbugeye is of the early type which had the flexible side screens, which I have, I was very fortunate to purchase for a nice low price on EBay a pair of (I think) original sliding sidescreens with all the metal parts and the "glass" parts although one of them is broken (as advertized). They need a significant cleanup and polishing job, but the only missing stuff is the seals.

Can someone post or send me a picture of what the bottom seal looks like and how it attaches? Also is there any material in the channels, or does the plexiglass just run in the bare metal? I remember my Mini had some kind of fabric in there - the Woody Traveller was famous for having green moss and other less savoury things grow in the rear channels if you didn't clean them out regularly.

Would Lexan be a good substitute for the plexiglass these days? I can buy that at my local Home depot.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Chris, in the channel there was felt, black of course. Get some from the wife a bit of stickem and force it in with the window when installing it then cut it off suitablely.

The exterior is rubber with a lip thing that fits in the slot all the way around. Moss seems to have good ones.

New plastic of course from the local hardware and cut to your size.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Lexan absolutely! Tuff and easier to install. They'll flex a bit more without fear of breaking when installing.

bugimike

Yoda
Sorry Jeff, I totally disagree on the Lexan, it is definitly tougher than plex (in fact bulletproof), but it is much "softer" and scratches MUCH more easily than plex!!!
I would definitly add a "channel" of felt since without it you will go crazy with the rattling! I also agree the VB or Moss rubber surround kits are equally good! Installing the plex is a little tricky - remember forward piece goes outside, inner piece to the rear (Otherwise you will get WET with rain coming in). A little, gentle flexing of the plex helps to get them in.

PS I lost out on the set I was bidding on, but I did get the frames for the older canvas solid type which I need to get pictures of how they looked originally if anyone has any!!

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mike, I've always had better luck using Lexan. I've tried warming plexi to install it, and it was still a pain in the rump. I can't remember what I used for the felt channel in the last set I did, but it was probably the stuff from VB.
Jeff

bugimike

Yoda
I agree the Lexan has a bit more flex because it is softer, but it does scratch so much more easily! There is a real fine tolerance when cutting the plex, but the "looseness" can be taken up with the felt!

The last felt I used was from the local fabric shop. I bought a 1' x 2' black piece and cut strips that I think (its been a while) were 7/8" wide and to length I used that rubber paper cement that works as a contact cement, and a popsicle stick as an install tool. Worked great!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Here's the side curtains from the Tunebug. They're original, and quite yellowed. I'll get them re-covered one of these days. Quite snug, really, and they don't rattle at all.

Attachments

• 4104-sidecurtains.jpg
    4104-sidecurtains.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 37

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I think I'd go w/plexi also just because the hit one another when sliding...my Lowe's has both Lexan & plexi.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I remember those plexi side screens.
I sure am glad I found a few sets of old Baker's sidescreens.
The frames come apart and I had tempered GLASS made to replace the plexi. They do not scratch. But they will break like any other car window /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
Baker sold aftermarket goodies back in the 60s. I happened across old man Baker at an American car swap meet and he invited me to his house where I had the oppertunity to "clean out his attic" for a small fee.
I have since sold off most of those goodies but I did keep a couple of the Sprite side curtains. No I am not selling them.
They are so much better than the originals in design and function. No felt, they have a wavey stainless steel spring to keep them from rattling and they are a bit taller so they even fit well and keep the rain out.

bugimike

Yoda
Thanx for the pix Drew. Exactly what I need. I am surprized the bottom edge doesn't extend lower, though I suppose that would work. How does one gain access to the interior door latch? I pictured a 45 degree or so flap diagonally across the rear portion that would flip open?

Attachments

• 4116-100_1576.jpg
    4116-100_1576.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 39

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Mike -- If you look closely at the top frame in the picture, there is a snap on the rear corner. Undo this snap, and the fabric/window portion can be pulled away from the frame to get to the door handle.

The lower frame in the picture (showing the inside) shows that the fabric does not cover the frame at the rear, so it can be lifted away. Mine are a bit stiff, but work okay. I'm sure that with new coverings, they would be quite functional.

I towed the car home from San Diego on an open flatbed with the top and side curtains on, and went through rain and snow. The interior seemed to stay nice and dry. These fit quite snugly, and don't rattle at all. For the few times I want them up, they work just fine.

bugimike

Yoda
Aha! my new frames have a hole there where the snap goes! There are also holes around the frame (3 on top, 3 on bottom, 2 on leading edge and 1 additional above snap hole at the back) what are all the other holes for. I imagine one could make a canvas piece that totally snaps to the frame?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That would surely keep the sun off the plastic if you parked outside like most of the Brits use to.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Those holes may have been added by an owner at some point. On my frames, the material wraps around the frame on the top and leading edge, and is sewn around the frame. I don't have the frames handy right now, but I'm pretty sure the only holes are for those snaps.

OP
ncbugeye

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
Frank, could you possibly post pictures of your Baker sidecsreens? I'd like to know the general approach to making them so they can be dismantled.