• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Save it ? Shave it? Scrap it? Sell it?

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
List:

Well the $500.00 B/E has had its first Physical Exam and here are my initial (SOAP -Subjective Objective Assessment Plans) findings.

S. Surface rust over 20 % of the body, fiberglass patch on gas tank bondo on the boot. Missing badges, overiders, heater, seats, backing/plate lamp and mount, 2 hubcaps and ignition switch. T=92 P=0 RR=0 mm=red tires hold air.

O. The bonnet rust out on the valence and left fender area near the attachment of the left fender. Lower A post rust. Sills, and fenders are solid after paint removal. Boot has a dent and was poorly repair with filler. Motor was rebuilt before the car was parked, but has not been turned over in a number of years

A. The bonnet is the most difficult item to repair.

https://new.photos.yahoo.com/paulbos@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762404959861

P. Do I:
a. Remove the fender (how?) and mig weld in a repair piece along with a new valence (~$390) and beading ($ 45) or

b. Remove the beading and remove the rust and lead shave the mig welded repair and replace the valence.

c. Buy a fiberglass walker bonnet(~$1475) or an original ($$$$) and sell the original

d. Keep it. buy a fiberglass bonnet (~$1475)or original ($$$) and repair it as time permits.

My initial budget is an additional $4000 to $6500 over the next year and I will do all the mechanical work, painting and I will document it. I would like to have a nice sporty driver when completed. I will need to do all the body work and replace mechanicals as required, paint, chrome and put on 5 new tires. Can it be done?

Your inputs would be greatly appreciated. Living in Ca I've never really had to deal with this much rust on a project car!

Paul

GreenHornet

Jedi Trainee
Nice project for sure. I say save it! Nothing with that car that money can't fix. The pieces you listed in "s" are all available from several sources. A lot of metal work for sure on the front. But I think the steel hood has more character than a fiberglass one.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Save it, but make it in to a "driver" (emphasize the safety stuff...let some of the cosmetics go) and let the next guy make it perfect.
In other words, enjoy it!
(I'm doing this with a ratty '73 Spridget as time/money allows)

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
repeat after me, it's not a car, it's a hobby

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm not a BE guy, but I get the impression that if its whole & not eaten up with cancer, it should be saved by someone.

Sounds like an easy longterm project that can be atacked as your budget allows.....the guy with the most recent experience doing exactly the same thing is Jack...I'd follow his lead.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Restored as a very nice sunday driver it is worth 12 to 16 grand.

I say restore, but then I hate to see one disapear from the world. There were so few to start with.

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I to would like to save this bonnet. How does one remove the fender from the damaged bonnet without makeing a mess of it?

Paul

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It is welded on. Drill out each spot weld.

bugimike

Yoda
I've seen better, and I have definitly seen a LOT worse!! Just about everything is there! What is not is relatively easy to find/replace. You do not have terrible rust in the key places, and where you do you can make or purchase repair panels/patch pieces! Time, Patience and Dollars and you wil wind up with a nice car!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif