• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Roller rockers, are they worth it?

Will_Ringrose

As I am Driving my little Red GT6 up the highway to work today, The question popped into my head.

Are Roller rockers worth it?

Would I notice a difference in the daily drive?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If the ratio increases you'll notice a difference. I made the swap within a day's time so it was fresh in my mind from stock 1:1.46 (or 47) to 1;1.55.
I won't say whether it's worth it or not in terms of your dollars, though. That's not my call.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I didn't go with them. It does make a change to the original valve train geometry and some have said that the cams do not deal well with the additional strain. You have to consider changing springs as well when you do this.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
if you install roller rockers, you need to check where the rollers are hitting on the valve stem, it its not in the center of the valves you will need to have the push rods shortened. but for the most part they are better than the stock ones that use bushings

Hondo

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
generally speaking-no.
In fact, they usually have more weight on the tip which is counter productive to valve float. However, if you have skinny, light valve stems for improved port flow, they reduce the side thrust on the tip of the valve which reduces the risk of bending a valve if there is reduced oil at the rocker tip. Frictional losses are marginal ( unless it is a racing engine that spins to 9000). The other plus is you can reduce the amount of oil going to the valve train (geralization here) and put more to the mains.
hope this helps
Rob

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Great at the track....not so reliable on a street motor. When the bearing tips act up (which is relatively frequent) you don't usually realize it till your valve and guide are shot. At the track, where the valve covers are off as much as on, they're The way to go.

John

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I would think that anytime you take any strain of the valve train that's a good thing. If you stay with stock ratios or go up 1 ratio you shouldn't have to do anything with the valve springs. If you go with 165:1 you need to check for coil bind on the springs. I love mine in my TR250 motor. Sure did quiet things down and love the smooth sound when the engine starts to rev over 3500 RPMs. I went with 155:1 and with a reground cam and 10:1 compression my car flys.

If you do go to them make sure you get a harden shaft. I used a new regular rocker shaft and the bronze bushings chewed it up in a year.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I would think that anytime you take any strain of the valve train that's a good thing. If you stay with stock ratios or go up 1 ratio you shouldn't have to do anything with the valve springs. If you go with 165:1 you need to check for coil bind on the springs. I love mine in my TR250 motor. Sure did quiet things down and love the smooth sound when the engine starts to rev over 3500 RPMs. I went with 155:1 and with a reground cam and 10:1 compression my car flys.

If you do go to them make sure you get a harden shaft. I used a new regular rocker shaft and the bronze bushings chewed it up in a year.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I have had my 1.55 set for 4 years, and now that I have my motor rebuilt they are working great,, they are nice and quite too. No issues at all, seems they are more reliable on a street motor, make sure you buy from a reliable parts vendor, I would purchase the complete assembly and stay away from the guys selling jut the replacement rockers that you install on your original shaft.
if your shaft is worn out the new rockers will probably give you issues.

same as any thing, people buy new rings and install in a worn out engine and then complain that the vendors sold them a set of crapy rings

Hondo