• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 Roller Rocker Problems TR250

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
9k miles ago after the rebuild I had to adjust the rockers again because of valve train noise. The first time was at 5k. I have a reground cam with new tappets. Did the proper brake in with Isky grease and added TSI roller rockers 155:1 with an auxiliary oil line. Now hear is what I think the problem is and see what you guys think.

The first adjustment I noticed that the rockers were just slightly loose on the shaft (the bushings) and attributed it to brake in and made a mental note. Now 4k later I had some noticeable noise and was really concerned. Took some measurements first and some gaps were fine and most were 9k" to 12k" over. Some of the rockers may be looser then the first adjustment but #2 can be rock from side to side and when I put a wrench on it to tighten the jam nut down it made a noticeable twist.

Has there been a quality issue with these roller rockers? I did add that oil line for extra oiling and peace of mind. But the bushings are brass or bronze and are softer then the shaft. The head and the block were thoroughly cleaned by the machine shop that did the machining work. I remember blowing the ports out too during assembly so I'm quite confident there are no plugged ports.

What do you think???

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Call Ted and ask him.
The first thing he'll tell you is to ditch the external oil feed.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I just took the rocker shaft off and looked at the shaft and #2 and #7 rock side to side and the bottom side of the shafts are scored and grooved. The rest are in visual terms look good. I did use a new shaft too when I assembled them. What about a hardened shaft and is it possible to get roller bearings to press in in place of the bushings?

hondo402000

Darth Vader
it looks like TRF offers the rockers with needle bearings, with a hardened shaft, I am assuming you got rockers with bushings, did you not get a hardened shaft? forgive me if you stated that and i missed it, if the bushings are not worn only the shaft you could get the hardened shaft and see if that solves the problem, really cant tell you if you can put needle bearings in the rockers with out boring them out to accept them. I thought about getting a set but decided the original is fine and didnt want to start issues like valve spring problems, push rods . good luck

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
I've heard some horror stories about the needle bearings coming loose and working their way into the intake. I would steer clear of them.

Racestorations has some non-needle bearing ones that are offered as a complete set up.

I recommend buying the entire set up with the shaft, rockers, spacers already installed. This is what I plan to do to avoid issues like the one you're describing. At least if something fails like this, you know exactly who to go to.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm sure it's not a harden shaft. I purchased it from Moss and I just looked in their catalog and there is no hard shaft listed. When I slid the rockers over to the unused parts I noticed that the rockers fit much tighter. So there may be minimal damage to them. I e-mailed Richard Good because he carries a harden shaft but he said it is designed to work with his needle bearing rockers and did not recommend using it. He also said i could order his needle bearings (reasonable at $6 ea) if they can be fitted into the my roller rockers. I belive hey are made by Harlen Sharp. TRF carries Richard Goods products so that will do me no good.

They are now at a local engine shop who guided me in the design and assembly of my motor. He said needle bearings are not the way to go if they are stationary in the race. Big advantage if the are able to freely travel around in the race. If I were to use the needle bearings I would most definitely use spacers with the washers on the ends. If the bearings would come apart they would be forced to stay in side the race and not get into the engine and cause damage.

Know of anyone else I can get a hardened shaft?
The law of unintentional consequences is in full swing here!

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am not a fan of people paying big bucks to get bragging rights to fully rollerized rockers in a street engine. Waste of money.

OTOH, it is very nice to run roller <span style="font-weight: bold">tip</span> rockers as it minimizes any side component to the rubbing action of the rocker over the valve stem tip and reduces guide wear.

The roller shaft bearings just don't accomplish anything you ned done and do sometimes cause problems.

Hope you get it sorted out.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Bill. My thoughts too. I was at my engine builder today and showed him the message from Richard Good. Richard thinks needle bearing are the way to go but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost. Although his bearing just may press into my rockers which are Harlen Sharp. My guy convinced me to go with the bronze bushings. They are on there way back to the HS for new bushings. In the mean time I will source out a harden shaft. Moss sells a Tuftrided shaft and I'll assume it has the oil port holes in the correct placement. GPs has the holes on top because of the needle bearings.