• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Re-introducing CT774 L

Scott McK

Freshman Member
Hi folks, I last posted in 2004 about my 61' TR4. She's been in the family since 1975 and I drove it in high school when I could keep it running. The car has been in some form of covered storage since 1980.

Fasttrack to 2004. I contract with a local hotrod shop to replace the floorpans and sills in an effort to start the restoration process. They report to me that the frame is bent and its not worth the cost to repair. I was very skeptical of their analysis but I knew there was some collision damage to the right rear before it came into my possession and pretty much took their word for it that it was not feasible to continue.

Fasttrack to the present. After 5 years of moving it around in my shop I decided to take one more shot to bring my longtime family member to life. I located a LBC restorer in Dallas and trailered the car to him for a full professional evaulation. His take is that there is some damage but not anything that cannot be repaired. The plan now is to remove the body, further evauluate and repair the frame and move on from there.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you guys the history before I started with the million questions I will have if the process continues.

To say the least I'm very exicited and consider this forum and its members to be a great asset. Your ideas and thoughts are appreciated.

Scott

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
OP
S

Scott McK

Freshman Member
Hi Randall, Thanks for that link. My plan is for the shop to do the bodywork and frame repair only. I'm not sure I can justify a new frame at 4K when I can out and buy a daily driver for 6K.

However this car does have alot of sentimental value for me and once restored will not be sold in my lifetime.

I only plan on paying the shop for the frmae/bodywork. I will do my own mechanicals.

Scott

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Scott-

Are you hooked in with the OKC or Tulsa clubs? Lots of good support there. One of my buddies in our club here in Houston is restoring an early TR4 as well - the low number ones have some nice touches. Another club member just sold one on ebay for a whopping $600. Frame was good too - so don't get scared off if you run into parts issues, you'll be able to find them.

Randy

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Great Scott, I believe that what you are taking on is a service to all of us that love these cars. I'm sure that you will be amply rewarded, both during and after the process. You needn't make excuses for a sentimental attachment, that is at least part of the motive for most, if not all, of us. Good Luck and God Bless.