• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I Scored !!!- Introducing Bugsy IV

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Guys after driving Bill Mayer's 60FROG several weeks ago in San Diego I decided if the opportunity arose to find a really nice BE that I could be driving very soon rather than looking 2-3 years down the road I'd consider it. That opportunity came this AM and AN5L32143 is about to officially change owners for I kid you not the Second Time. Bugsy IV was purchased new in Los Angeles in 1960 by a guy for his wife. She died 4-5 years later and this BE has been in storage last titled in 1964. Still has the CA plates on it. This car made it's way to Cleveland last year, sold by the 90 y.o. owner who had made some attempts recently to fix it up. Repainted at some unknown time to a Blue Metallic, think Ford Blue, it is remarkably and I mean remarkable totally rust free other than on the rear springs that's it. A dusting of primer is on the car now, and that will get cleaned up as Bugsy IV goes to OEW w White interior. New Clutch and Rib Case attached to the original 948. Temporary owner in Cleveland just put it in storage and never even attempted to turn over the engine. Engine BTW turns over freely. Take a look at the pics, I can't believe how clean the underside is. IF I can make trailer arrangements, Bugsy IV will come home from Cleveland next weekend.

Bugsy II, well I've only got a one car garage. All the parts and pieces and sheet metal are bought, FLoorpan is cut out, new rear bulkhead is in hand. The hard part of taking it apart is done. This BE is 5 x's the car BE Guy currently has on eBay for $2,500. I want to move this BE quickly. Lots of things already fixed, new Rockers, Inners, Outers, DS Floorpan, Rear Quarters, new rear boot, solid bonnet that needs surface rust cleaned up. Will come with the 948 and Ribcase that is in Bugsy IV. Good set of seats, unmolested dash. It has the makings of a very good BE. Talk to me, it will get more expensive if I weld it all back together and throw some paint on it. I want to go drive 1 Bugsy IV - Right Side.jpg2 Bugsy IV - Right Side.jpg7 Bugsy IV R Rear Underside.jpg11 Bugsy IV Left Rar Undercarriage.jpg my new BE.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
It's Clean, really clean on the underside. A Posts not a bubble anywhere, Doors clean, I've got to check out why door on one side is sticking out funny, even comes with a BMC Tube Radio. May or may not keep. Tube Shocks need to go, Go see Peter C. for the good stuff. New Blue Interior, going away for Red. and Red Carpet and OEW, 1275, 5 speed, 3.9 Rear, Disks, VTO.s Sway Bar, all the fun stuff. Will be interesting to see if I can wake up that 948. I could be driving soon assuming the drum brakes work. Time to dig out the Awakening a Sleeping BE Article. Happy Dance, Happy Dance. Can you see it from there.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Anyone know a Robert P Casey in Los Angeles? Previous Owner.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Congrats! Glad to see you'll be on the road a lot sooner than you had planned.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
I think you'll be miles ahead with this Bugeye! When it comes to doing every little and BIG repair it is soooo time consuming. Post a bunch of pictures when you get a chance...
Rut

nomad

Yoda
You can't beat rust free or very little rust. I came to the belief early on in my car passion that they are worth a premium. My BE is a So Cali emigrant after a total rust bucket.

Kurt.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am glad that your experience driving 60 FROG spurred you into action and that BUGSY IV is only about 3 or 4 hours from you. I truly enjoy every minute behind the wheel of 60 FROG and I hope to see BUGSY IV on the road soon and you behind the wheel. I am sure it is fun restoring a Bugeye, but that is not my thing. Driving is my thing. Since I have few mechanical skills it works out for me.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You can't beat rust free or very little rust. I came to the belief early on in my car passion that they are worth a premium. My BE is a So Cali emigrant after a total rust bucket.

Kurt.

Boy, those are some of the truest words ever spoken. Congrats, Jim, that underbody shot is unbelievable and sounds like you've got a good plan for Bugsy IV

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks guys. I'll post more Pics when I get a chance. Now to work out the logistics of juggling 2 BE's with a single car garage. I really need t ofind a home for Bugsy II right away if someone is interested in a Project reach out to me.

Bugsy IV is unbelievably clean underneath. Pics of the undercarriage are fabulous. I may be able to get the 948 going and make it to BRitish Car Day in Dayton the first Saturday in August this year. Yeah. 3 years without an LBC to drive is too long. Bill you got me inspired once again,

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Congratulations Jim....I'm happy for your find....Thanks for all the nice words BTW about your driving experience with 60FROG in San Diego. Do take a look at picture #3 and the sheet metal "repairs" at the right rear. Hope it is nothing serious.
Cheers,
Scott

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Congrats!!
Much better car to work with!! Investigate RH rear floor by fuel tank, looks like it took a hard shunt folding rear floor and RH rear inner finder? You may find something unexpected in the RH rear quarter panel too. If you plan on a color change, strip car and get it to the body shop while you freshen up engine, gear box, differential, brakes, control arms, componentized to simplify for the reinstall.

This will increase your productivity enormously! You’ve probably knock at least a year or more off by this purchase. If your vision is something like 60FROG let a quality body shop do your body work while you focus on your components. They may take five to six months if not more, and then you’ll be ready with in a year to drive if you work it this way. It took me two and half years to prep my car for paint and I had very little rust working eight to ten hours each weekend, depends on what scale of restoration that you have envisioned for. Cheers!!

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yes ittook a hit to RR Corner. I have not seen in person but the panel I'm told you cannot feel or see a seam where it was repaired. It does look like some folded Metal back there but again I have not see in person just going from Pictures. Rest of car is really clean.

Country flag
That does look like it could be driving down the road with just a a few hours of work.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Excellent! Congrats on the new Bugeye.

Being without a running car for a number of years can be a tough thing when you love the driving.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Well I've run out of room to post any more pictures right now. Another Picture of the RR from underneath does look fine and I'm told the repair had an entire panel seam welded in place. Should be good to go. Agree on getting whatever was applied over the original OEM Color removed to prevent Paint Interaction. If it looks like this one is ready to drive with checking hydraulics/brakes out, getting some oil pressure I the engine and starting the engine I could see driving this summer and fall. Paintwork over the winter. A plan is coming together.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Some more pics of the underside and rear suspension. From what I have seen all of the car is like this. Thank You Robert Casey for preserving this BE for me. Title says titled 9/23/65 so this likely was not purchased new, oh well sure sounded like a great story. Odometer shows 44k. Well he owned it for 50 Years for gosh sakes. Average < 1,000 miles per year.

Attachments

• 12 Bugsy IV - Right Rear Undercarriage.jpg
    12 Bugsy IV - Right Rear Undercarriage.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 80
  • 8 Bugsy IV - Boot - Again Clean.jpg
    8 Bugsy IV - Boot - Again Clean.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 7 Bugsy IV R Rear Underside.jpg
    7 Bugsy IV R Rear Underside.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 11 Bugsy IV Left Rar Undercarriage.jpg
    11 Bugsy IV Left Rar Undercarriage.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 80

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
While it's on a lift I would drop some lines and do the measurements in the shop manual to make sure the unibody is straight as well as the suspension points for peace of mind. It looks really good, but why take the chance?
Rut

nomad

Yoda
Looks like the right rear quarter is welded on, Jim. I see a seam in the second photo. Hope its been fixed right!

Kurt.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I am told that it was seam welded and you cannot feel the seam by hand. The guy I am buying from assures me it was fixed correctly and professionally. Again I could not inspect before I pulled the trigger. It was a Carpe Diem moment for me. There were two of us offering the same price. My check got there first. VenMo nice wire transfer service. Anyone need a set of Blue Seatcovers ? Going Red!