• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Random Orbital Snader for Mild Restoration Stuff

ynotme2

Everyone,

I have a 65 Austin Healey and when I pulled up the carpets this summer noticed I have quite a bit of rust on the floor boards. Mind you no holes. That I know oif yet but no the worse some good rust. So I am thinking about buying a sander and grinding away the rust and repriming the metal, zinc rich primer, and then painting. To stop the cancer in it's tracks. So my question is, what type of sander. I really don't know if I want to buy a air compressor and go that route. I live in a townhome and don't know if the neighbors would like to hear the compressor. Although I don't know if they will like the sander either. But it might be easier for me. So.... do I buy a 4" or a 5" or a 6" sander? If so should I get an random orbit or a regular one. I would like to have the sander for other odd jobs around the house though. Also do I start with 60 grit and then work my way up? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony....
Wandering over from the Healey board...

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I just finished this very job myself.
Had a fair bit of surface rust under the PO's sound-deadening mats.
I used a steel wire-brush attachement on my regular electric drill. Worked a charm.
Got it down to bare shiny metal, soaked the floor in rust remover ( for no other reason than to make me feel good )
cleaned it all off with break cleaner, zinc primered and painted. Topped it off with under coat.
Not sure about the scientific pros and cons of all this, I'm sure I'll find out in a few years... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Both as a matter of fact.
Plus a cone shaped (pointed) attachment that I have no idea what you might call in English. Made of some knife shapening stone type material for a few stubborn spots where the wire wasn't quite enough.
Good luck and happy grinding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
I've used these for quite awhile. They work well, but the bristles are about 1/16" in diameter, so don't get into the nooks and crannies the way a wire wheel does.
Jeff

lawguy

Jedi Knight
I would use a 5 inch palm style sander. It should work well. I have a Black and Decker and was astounded at how much better an electric randon orbit sander works than a jitterbug style. Other than very small detail sanders, I won't use the jitterbug again.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I have a 6" electric orbital that I use for body work. unless you're planning on using it a lot,or have several other air tools, I would stay away from air power sanders as they consume large quantities of air and require a fairly large, expensive compressor to keep up. if you sand then start with 80 grit and then go to 120. you shouldn't need to go much finer than that for under the carpet stuff.I also know of some Kick-butt rust stopping primer.If you want, I'll E-mail you about it (in keeping with the "no product plugs" rule)

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I also know of some Kick-butt rust stopping primer.If you want, I'll E-mail you about it (in keeping with the "no product plugs" rule)

[/ QUOTE ]
Would love to know. rulle7@hotmail.com

norcalnewb

Re: Random Orbital Snader for Mild Restoration Stu

[ QUOTE ]
I also know of some Kick-butt rust stopping primer.If you want, I'll E-mail you about it

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to hear about it as well. norcalah@sonic.net

usasma

Jedi Trainee

Me too, please! (also sent a PM, then remembered I didn't give an email addy - darned alzheimers!)

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

Ok, I did a private response but I'll put a quick post since I came across it on some other threads here.
POR-15. It's a rust encapsulator/ blocker.It is just like black paint to apply. Applied to cleaned up rust I've never had it come back through, and applied to clean bare metal it's never gonna rust. I've used it on frame and suspension components, rockers and floorpans with excellent results. It is UV sensetive, and if left exposed it will get chalky, but you can paint over it. Also if you do use it, heed the warnings on the can (clean off the lip of the can and wear gloves) this stuff bonds extremely well and does not come your skin off once dry.TRUST ME. check your local auto paint store or search the web under POR-15 to find out about it. Good luck batteling the rust monsters.