• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question about selling a LBC

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
NOOOOOOO. Not mine!

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthread...mp;page=0#99985

My brother-in-law still has this Midget. At our MG Club meeting last night, someone mentioned buying a Midget and selling it for double what he paid on ebay. I asked what he got for the car (was a '72, non-running) and he said $8500. I'm not sure he's NOT blowing smoke, but anyway...

Have any of you sold on ebay? I'm thinking about setting this up for my bil. Something like, tell me what your bottom $ is and anything I get over that, I keep. And buyer would be solely responsible for pickup or arranging shipment of the car.

What do you think? What's it look like the car is worth, starting bid, etc.?

V

vagt6

Hello, J! Yes, I've sold a GT6 and two Fords on EBay. Totally positive experience.

I paraphrased the language in my ad from several professional car dealer ads. Use lots of photos.

I got more than retail price for my GT6, actually, a surprising amount. I used the "buy it now" feature and got it. Never dreamed of getting such a price. The buyer was happy.

It's a snap, just be sure to familiarize yourself with all the rules and nuances.

There's no better sales venue for an LBC, IMHO.

good luck, let us know!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
vagt, I may be calling on you for some guidance if Al decides to auction it! I do think a reserve price and the 'buy it now' feature would be important!

Steve_S

Yoda
The single most important aspect of selling on eBay is photos. You want a lot of them and make them high quality. No scans of old film prints where you can't make out the details. The more photos showing the overall view as well as details of the car, the more comfortable your bidders will be.

Next most important thing is to be honest about both the good and the bad parts of the car. When you point out what needs to be done it shows you know about these cars and aren't just someone who found a car in a field and is trying to make a buck.

As for price, reserves are silly but they do get people bidding which might entice other people to bid as well. So I do, reluctantly, use reserves on any expensive items.

Definately make a note stating clearly but politely that shipping logistics and cost will be solely the responsibility of the buyer. Also state your payment requirements if you have them, both what type of payment you will accept and how long they have to pay (if you care).

This is far from an LBC since it's basically an as-new item, but I just sold my motorcycle on eBay and it generated a lot of interest. Most of the people who inquired were drawn to it by the detailed description. Here's a link to the auction.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Steve, I remember looking at the link to your bike (sweet bike by the way) I'll get all the details and info I can from my bil, before I set up the auction, and I'll drive the car again.

Problem is they dropped insurance on it. (yes, I know, as cheap as insurance is on LBCs) IF it were insured, I'd be driving it and would have sold it already.

And I'll pull it out of their garage and get better pictures than the ones I have.

Thanks.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
JB- spend 60-80 bucks yourself on insurance so the car can be plated and driven. There is always the chance someone from the local area will be interested and want to take a test drive. Also, look at a couple months of completed listings to see both what the sale prices are running and also how the cars were presented and what qualifying language was included. And as Keoke would say, IMHO FWIW

usasma

Jedi Trainee
One of the things that sold me on my B-GT was the seller's willingness to discuss anything related to it. He answered questions promptly, and honestly told me what was wrong with it from the start. When we won the auction, he was understanding about our only having seen pictures of it - and he let us reserve the right to reneg on the sale if it didn't meet our expectations. He did his best to be sincere in dealing with us.

When we we went to pick the car up he had her washed and waxed and sitting in the driveway waiting for us. He brought us into his home (probably not a wise move) and went through all the papers that he had for her. He had documentation going back to 1983 - including a Heritage Certificate. He also signed the bill of sale for Connecticut (a different form that he was using), and only put $500 for the price (to avoid taxes). But we did have another receipt for the full amount. And we brought him a cashier's check for the full amount within 3 days of the auction. He emptied out his garage of all MG stuff that he had. This included a spare radiator, spare oil cooler, all the smog stuff (in a box), all the parts that he'd replaced with custom items, a sunroof, and air conditioner. In the short time that we were there he impressed me as being very sincere and that he wasn't trying to pull anything on us.
Finally, he let us use his plates to drive it home - and I FedEx'd them back to him the next day.

So, lot's of photos. A good set of all views of the car, a set of the typical problem areas for Midgets, and a set showing any significant problems. The same goes for the description - a good overall description of the car, a description of the typical Midget problem areas (and how good/bad it is in those areas), and a description of any significant problems (I say significant because my B-GT had a small tear in the upholstery that wasn't mentioned - and it was the only thing that I found that he hadn't commented on).

Good Luck!

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
JB- spend 60-80 bucks yourself on insurance so the car can be plated and driven. There is always the chance someone from the local area will be interested and want to take a test drive. Also, look at a couple months of completed listings to see both what the sale prices are running and also how the cars were presented and what qualifying language was included. And as Keoke would say, IMHO FWIW

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. Now how do I find completed auctions on ebay? I'm going to talk to dahubby's sister and I'm sure she'll get insurance on the vehicle, she really wants it gone I think. Plates may still be current.

I really believe, with the gorgeous weather we're having now, that it's the ideal time to sell the car. And with the low selling price, it should go quickly.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
What are the typical problem areas on Midgets? What do we need pictures of? Is it really important to get under the car for pictures of the chassisetc?

I understand the importance of a thorough and honest description and lots of pictures. I've read a lot of auctions on ebay, and I've heard stories of cars that weren't exactly (yea right) as described.

Anyone willing to jump up and give a fair market asking price on the car, based on the pictures? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
When you search for an item, click on "Completed Items" in the left pane. Recent sales sometimes don't show up in the results for a couple days.

usasma

Jedi Trainee
I dunno what the typical problem areas are - but one or two pix of the undercarriage (from front & rear) would probably be enough (you might not even need them). I got a set of "Rhino ramps" at WalMart for about $20 and got good pics of the underside that way (didn't even get my hands dirty!)

What pics? Ok, here goes....
Left side
Right side
Front
Rear
a couple of views of the convertible top
Motor
Inside of trunk
Interior

These are just guesses since I'm not familiar w/Midgets:
Headlights & grill
Taillights
Rocker Panels & doors
Windshield
Wheel wells (exterior view)

Based on what I've seen on eBay, it could be worth between $2500 and $4500. I'd probably go on the lower side ($2500 to $3000) because there's only one pic and it seems to be a bit "rough" (body panels don't seem to fit well) - BUT remember, I've got eye problems OO !

Good luck!

Jack_Long

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Just like B's, the biggest problem on Midgets is rust. Photos of the rockers (sides and underneath) and front subframe rails and cross members would be "must-sees" for any knowledgeable buyer. Also good to show floors (carpets removed) and trunk floor.

Of course, if its a POS, then you want to market to un-knowledgeable buyers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Also, if you put in a Buy it Now price on eBay, you attract the Nigerian scammers. Be careful there

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Car's sold. A guy in our MG Club bought it for his father! Thanks though, everyone!