• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

phantom grip lsd? any good?

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
hi, i was over in the racing forum and was informed that the phantom grip limited slip diff is total crap and that it blows your diff. anyone else know anything about this?
i guess i'll have to get a quaif. *##%%@*&%^$#! i knew it was too good to be true. budget shot again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
rob

G

Do you have an IRS? You might be able to get the Goodparts one to fit up if that's the case.

OP
T

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
nope,
i have a 1962 four. solid axle.
i want to hear about the "word" on the phantom grip though. with only 140-150 hp 145ft lbs torque, 2200 lb car are these phantom grips still a problem?
rob

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
No personal experience with lsd in a Triumph but racers say the Quaife or Salisbury units are best, tha Phantom grip causing excessive wear on the spider gears.
Clutch type units work well, and the degree of locking is often adjustable, but the clutch discs need periodic reeplacement.
Simon.
Just passing along what I've been told.

OP
T

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
do you mean the phantom grip or a regular lsd or quaif?
rob