• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Obscure car time

catfood

Jedi Knight
I challenge anyone to identify this. Clues will be available in due course but just to get you started there is a link to close to where I live.

whoareyou.jpg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Didn't even take two hours. Try this one on for size.
whoami.jpg

OP
catfood

catfood

Jedi Knight
OK you're too good for me. How on earth did you know that. I live just down the road from where they were built and I had never heard of them before I saw this one (I live just off the Monkspath Hall Road, the area the garage was named after).

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
OK you're too good for me. How on earth did you know that. I live just down the road from where they were built and I had never heard of them before I saw this one (I live just off the Monkspath Hall Road, the area the garage was named after).

I've got a pretty good knowledge of oddball British stuff from years of reading Thoroughbred & Classic Cars, Classic Cars and Octane. But I think you could've given clues for years without any of us coming up with the answer based on knowledge we already had. Leaving out a bunch of bad guesses, hunches and dead-ends I found the answer by noticing it had the same wheels and hubcaps as the saloons behind it and saw that it looked like a club display at a motor show. I looked up the registration number on the car in the background and found it was a 1953 Ford Anglia. That eventually led to the Ford Sidevalve Owners Club where I found a picture of the car: https://www.fsoc.co.uk/the-cars.html

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Iota 350 Sports. Said to be the first aluminum monocoque car: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?55326-Lane-Motor-Museum

And on this one, I just plain cheated. Goggle has a nice image search that work's fairly well. If you go to "images" search you will see a camera icon. Press that and a box will come up allowing you to load an image either from your computer or a website. After the upload, hit search and you will often come up with the same or similar picture where the original came from.

BillD

That's good technique but how in the world did you find all of those "Spridgets on Film" in that great thread. No one can possibly watch that many bad movies.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That's good technique but how in the world did you find all of those "Spridgets on Film" in that great thread. No one can possibly watch that many bad movies.

I was asked to reveal my technique when I did a similar thread for the big Healeys: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?94264-Pourquoi-viens-tu-si-tard Here's the secret:

OK, here's the truth. The International Movie Car Database has lists of cars by make appearing in movies, then it's just trying to track down a clip and editing it to show the Spridget part: https://imcdb.org/

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
....... and I thought our Consul Capris were "unknown" cars.

- Doug

BillD

OK, here's the truth. The International Movie Car Database has lists of cars by make appearing in movies, then it's just trying to track down a clip and editing it to show the Spridget part: https://imcdb.org/

Thanks Rick. That is the best car-nerd resource ever!! I was able to find a bunch of movies featuring my Panther and watched "Timestalkers" on Hulu last night. The Panther was in lots of scenes and it made the movie experience semi-worthwhile and very enjoyable.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Rick. That is the best car-nerd resource ever!! I was able to find a bunch of movies featuring my Panther and watched "Timestalkers" on Hulu last night. The Panther was in lots of scenes and it made the movie experience semi-worthwhile and very enjoyable.

:cheers: It's a pretty impressive website. I find it incredible they get so many people that are willing to watch these movies, many of which have been correctly described as terrible, and identify such a wide range of vehicles.