• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nicely done modified Sprite [NFI]

RickB

Yoda
I just saw that too, sent the guy an email with a bunch of questions. I'll bet that's a sweet running Sprite!

I like the look of this:

5Fe5Mc5J83L23I13F3c265c7da61132ba179b.jpg

Morris

Yoda
That does look good. And it looks like the only major mod is cutting out the heater shelf. I could do that...

RickB

Yoda
I don't think I can live without a heater.
Any thoughts on how to get a heater in there?
I hope he can send me more pictures, it actually might be worth going to see it just to see how he did it all if he's willing.

Of course, there's also the Toyota swap - can't remember which engine that is though. It may be the 1.6 that is sitting in my daughters Corolla right now...

:devilgrin: :jester:

Spriteman65

That is a nice swap. I'll bet there are a ton of Miata engines and transmissions waiting to go into Spridgets!

Country flag
The tunnel has to be modified to use that transmission.

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
RickB said:
I don't think I can live without a heater.
Any thoughts on how to get a heater in there?

Vintage Air Compact Heater 50515-VUH
Here's one on Ebay.
Should fit behind the dash in the center. Modify the radio console to fit.

50515-VUH-2.jpg

RickB

Yoda
RickB said:
...there's also the Toyota swap - can't remember which engine that is though. It may be the 1.6 that is sitting in my daughters Corolla right now...

Right, the 4AGE swap.

Apparently there's also a small 1.0 or 1.3 liter Geo Metro with a 5 speed manual that can be fitted.
Hmmm...

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
I have given some thought to where to put a heater when it can not be used in stock location. Since my V-8 Bugeye has the detroit iron shove to the firewall. I also have no heater. I have not done the engineering yet but in my head I figured I can install the orignal style heater behind the front seats under the rear shell, ducting the hot air in small vents down into passenger compartment from the rear of car.

This will also increase the water supply therefore helping cooling capacity. Copper lines would serve well. The only fabrication would be the manifold below heater to push air. the fan could be placed well to the rear of vehicle along a rear quarter panel.

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
RickB said:
RickB said:
...there's also the Toyota swap - can't remember which engine that is though. It may be the 1.6 that is sitting in my daughters Corolla right now...

Right, the 4AGE swap.

Apparently there's also a small 1.0 or 1.3 liter Geo Metro with a 5 speed manual that can be fitted.
Hmmm...

I've also read a few people using the Nissan SR20. It is the engine I would use it I ever had the desire to put a new engine in Spridget...However, my next build (if I ever finish this one) will be an EV conversion...free charging at work!

I also ran across this and I actually think it looks good. However, I wouldn't consider it a Sprite anymore either: https://www.attackbanana.com/modmg/racesprite.php

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
For more info on dropping a Miata Engine and Tranny into a Spridget take a look at The Mite.com.
or it could be TheMite.com

G

RickB said:
It may be the 1.6 that is sitting in my daughters Corolla right now...

Actually, depending on year it is. It's not the really hot one, but it'll do. By her a buss pass...

G

If you don't block the heater vents off, you still will get some decent underhood air heat.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Spriteman65 said:
That is a nice swap. I'll bet there are a ton of Miata engines and transmissions waiting to go into Spridgets!

elsewhere there is mention of the Mite https://the-mite.com/

My understanding is that the Miata engine is a tall engine and thus is not as easy a swap as some other engines.

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You want the blacktop or silvertop 4AGE (JDM only).....5 valves per cyl., ITB's & 165HP. I am very much considering this for my Bugeye. Vroom!

The Geo Metro engine you're thinking of is actually a Suzuki (they made the Metro). It's the G13B, a 100 HP 1.3L twin cam engine from the '89-'94 Swift GT/GTi. They're decent engines, but have crank issues.....you need to watch the crank keyway carefully as it wallows itself out over time.

As for the Sprite in the ad.....very nice. If it were only a Bugeye.