• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 new wheels for the TR6

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Okay, I'm looking for input on a new set of wheels for my '71 TR6. I'm about 3/4 of the way thru my frame off restore and am thinking new wheels will be necessary to complete the project. I love the panasport style but want to hear from others. Genuine panasports or replicas? Also, what size wheel 15x5.5, 15x6 etc.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I thin there is a really nice Panasport rep out there and many on the board are using them

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
71tr,

I have a set of 15x6 Superlites on my MGB. My TR6 is still sporting it's original steel wheels. I have considered getting a set of the Superlites for the 6 in 16". Here's a pic of the Superlites on the B. They have a machined outer lip just like Panasports. I love them!
Bside.jpg

Dave

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

I've seen the Superlites on several cars and they look great. Very hard to distinguish from the Panasport Minilites. There is a vendor here on BCF offering the Superlites.

KN Minotars are a little easier to distinguish, seem to be available only in silver paint, without a bright rim, but still are a good quality wheel.

Compomotive also makes a similar 8-spoke wheel, as do Konig and American Racing (the latter two only in pretty limited sizes, I think).

There are some differences in color/finish choices offered by the various manufacturers.

None of these look exactly like the original American Racing wheels that were first used on TRs back in the 60s, but today's wheels are probably a stronger design. The main visual difference is where the spokes meet the hub. It's a bit beefier on all the modern wheels I've seen. If you are interested in making a comparison, you can probably see some of the original wheels installed on TR4 factory team rally cars at www.revingtontr.com. Keep in mind that those originals on TR4 are a narrower wheel, too. So the wheels you get for your car will most likely have a slightly deeper "dish" to them.

On TR6, I'd be very tempted to use +1 sizing: i.e., 16x7 wheels with lower profile (60 or 55-series, depending upon the width chosen) tires. Careful tire selection might give you very close to the same tire height and outside diamter as the original 15xwhatever tires, which will help keep the speedometer reasonably accurate.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
For comparison, here are the American Racing Silverstones with Michelins on my 250. These are magnesium but painted a metalic grey. You can still find these, but they are getting scarce.

Attachments

• 280134-250Wheels.jpg
    280134-250Wheels.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 194
G

I have Panasports and love them. That said, every car show that I have ever attended the TR6 with the wire wheels always garners more attention than anything else. Just something sexy about a really good set of wires. You are going to pay for them but g_d they are gorgeous. My car is a resto-mod and I wanted the mag look. But if I were going through a frame-off restoration and wanted to "protect" my investment, I would consider a set of wires. Like Dayton 72 spoke stainless steel wires.

Just me.

Bill

OP
71tr

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Bill thanks for your input on the wire wheels. I had generally ignored that option, not sure why. And everyone else thanks for your input, good information here.

richards

Jedi Hopeful
Would any one know where a set of those American Silverstones might be for sale? Would they be safe
for daily road use?
I think they look great. I currenly have a set of Superlites (15x6) with 215/70 tires, no rubbing.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Just something sexy about a really good set of wires. Like Dayton 72 spoke stainless steel wires.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif I have had great luck with the 72 spoke Daytons

DSC05840.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
I only like the wires on dark colored 6's...doesn't look right on the other colors. I also like the factory rims alot too, with a nice set of chrome trim rings to dress them up they can look pretty good. That said I need new tires anyway and those superlites are looking pretty sweet.....maybe once the necessary stuff is done.

G

Actually I know a guy with a yellow TR6 with gray painted wires. It looks a LOT better than it sounds...

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Yep, those Silverstones are beautiful wheels. I am sure a new limited production run of those would sell out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I know that with the Minilite replicas and Panasports you can buy fake knockoffs that screw into the centers for a Silverstone-inspired look with modern wheels (Thanks Al!).

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Ok, I've resisted saying anything for a full day - do I get brownie points for that? (mmmmmmm - brownies!)

Oops sorry, lost my train of thought for a second - I'm going for the unconventional approach and putting Mustang Bullit wheels on my TR4A. Having said that, I admit nothing looks more classic on a TR than a set of chrome wires. My wife's Stag will be getting a set of Panasports/Minilites/clones when it goes through restoration.

I guess what I'm saying is it all comes down to what your tastes are. Put what you think looks good on your car - it won't be wrong no matter what it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Aren't the current Mustang Bullit wheels inspired by the '60s American Racing Torque-Thrusts that were on the original Bullit car, which are pretty durn close to the Silverstones?

Regarding the modern Bullit wheels, do they require some sort of adaptor to get them to fit? Cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't the current Mustang Bullit wheels inspired by the '60s American Racing Torque-Thrusts that were on the original Bullit car, which are pretty durn close to the Silverstones?

Regarding the modern Bullit wheels, do they require some sort of adaptor to get them to fit? Cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, except they're 5 spoke, and yes, but I think they look really great on the '4A. I am going to have to flare the fenders just a touch to cover the 245/45-17s that came with the wheels, but I don't think I will *EVER* have a traction problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I would suggest you look closely at the wheels before deciding, paying attention to the appearance of the transition from the rim to the spokes, where the Superlite and Minotaur are more "defined" than the Panasport, and in my opinion look better.
On the other hand the Panasports have steel inserts in the holes for the lug nuts which may strengthen them in this area. (At least when I last looked the others did not.)

You may like the way chrome wires look; I prefer painted as the dazzling shine of the chrome looks like costume jewelry, too much "Bling" for me. All a matter of personal taste.

Either way, wires are heavier than alloys, if that matters to you.
Simon.