• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Jersey Historics

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I just posted videos and photos from the NJ Historics. The event took place at NJMP in Millville, which is adjacent to Millville airports. The airports (and race track property) was part of an old Army-Air Force training base in WW II.The primary aircraft there at the time were P-47 Thunderbolt "Jugs". There are murals and photos of P-47s all over town. During the weekend, we had a vintage airshow with a B-25 Mitchell doing low passes (glorious!). Also, several T6s plus L4s and an L3 (Aeronca!). There's also lots of static displays and an excellent Army-Air museum we visited.

Link to my photos and videos of NJ Historics

Sample photos:

vrg-njmp-2012-161_zpsc58f498f.jpg

vrg-njmp-2012-206_zpsda92ed75.jpg

vrg-njmp-2012-40_zpsd08395a3.jpg

vrg-njmp-2012-58_zps01220d44.jpg

vrg-njmp-2012-4_zps0e35849d.jpg

vrg-njmp-2012-11_zps909fc8dc.jpg

vrg-njmp-2012-170_zpscc2a5337.jpg

Sample VIDEO:

AifTx18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
After missing every race this year due to waiting for parts, the car got put back together and came out to play. Good seeing Rich Rock out at the track and many others. The car ran well and was still lowering lap times (1.19.0) before we ran into problems. It'll be fixed for next year.

A friend of mine took these videos (turn to HD):
RB_npCo&feature=relmfu" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/TWsbIWYkgv0&feature=relmfu" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/5_OYd0eQLIg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Nial- nice dual w/32; where did he go? Also, surprised the FV took you at the end. It didn't look as fast as your spridget. Always enjoy your videos!! Thanks! BTW, will you be at T Bowl again this year?

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
That was us Nial. The plan was to take it easy as we normally run with SVRA and this was for fun. A dropped wheel sent it off track and into the guardrail. It happens and it happens a lot at that corner. The car is already being fixed up.

BustedKnuckles

Jedi Knight
Monkeywrench...

My father was a sports car enthusiast (I was always more into airplanes) and I made several trips with him to the old race track at Vineland, near to the present NJMP, where we would wander around for hours spending more time looking at cars than watching races.

I was disappointed that the black Triumph TR-4 you work with was not to be seen in any of the videos. My father worked at NAS Willow Grove and was an occasional customer of the shop run by the driver of that Triumph. I never met the man but was impressed that he continues to race. Is he still active?

That's quite a collection of photos you've posted. They brought back some warm memories that have been long buried.

Andy

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I think you're mixing me and Bob up....but I'm not sure.

The TR4 ran in a different class than my Spridget, so I had no opportunity to video it. There were, however, two photos of it in the slide show.

Here they are (below).

Glad it brought back some memories. There is a community college build on the land that the old Vineland race track existed on. I am told that some of the roads on the college were part of the original course.
And yeah, I get the appeal of airplane too!

vrg-njmp-2012-126_zps6c42df86.jpg

vrg-njmp-2012-210_zps5a78a376.jpg

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
Andy,

It's still the same guy. He's 79 years old and still does all the car prep and driving. He closed up shop and retired in '96. As you know, he was a front runner in a lot of different marques (Cobras, F5000, IMSA Toyotas). That TR is the same one as you remember, and it's the car he had the SCCA Runoffs pole in '65 and led until the overdrive quite. He and Bob Tullius also drove the car to a class win in a Watkins Glen enduro the same year. He then sold the car to Buzz Marcus and who did the driving while he spun the wrenches. After he retired and got bored he called the then current owner and bought it back in 2002. He has been vintage racing since.

Here are some in-car videos:
weSaS3o&feature=relmfu" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> (starting mid pack due to some issues in the qualifying race. It gets pretty exciting when he runs down the lead pack)
<embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/NFsDxf6WbuY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> (battling for the overall lead. The Super 7 is some 900lbs lighter, which explains why it's quicker in the corners).

Nial, thanks for the photos!

Cheers,

BustedKnuckles

Jedi Knight
Thank you both for the update and the photos. I'm enjoying both!

What organization are these races sanctioned by? I'm in Belize for the winter now but I'm thinking it might be a tickle to look in on one of these races in the States next summer.

Andy