• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A missing problem with this tr3

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well this missing problem still has me one the run with this tr3. I replaced the fuel pump with a new aftermarket and no joy. (I forgot what a pain that is)The engine still misses and floods 1 and 2 plug--- plus the front carb bowl. I put a new grose jet in and it stopped pumping out the vent, but too much fuel is still getting in and flooding out the front plugs. The back carb seat assembly seems to work fine and I could move that to the front and see what happens. I am really stuck. Can anybody think of scenario in which the seat is working, but too much fuel is getting? I pulled the bowl off to see if it was clogged to the carb, but it is clear. Perhaps the passage from the bowl to the jet is the problem. It does not make sense to me.

Thanks Randall for the tip on the vacuum gauge for checking fuel pressure. I tried it before I started and it read just 1.5 with the old pump. I am getting desperate and did a compression check and they are all 175.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Sorry your having a problem I certainly can relate to it.
I am told that the stock gas pumps put out 1.5 to 2.5 psi as a norm. So for what it's worth your feul pump is in the right range. Beyond that I'm afraid that I wont be much help.

Good luck, Dick

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
To much fuel is either a float or a jet problem.

Float includes...wrong level set, leaky or dirty float valve, to much fuel pressure, or leaky float. also check the valve seat to make sure it is seated and sealing.

I doubt you have a jet problem...but when cars get this old you never know. Have you compared the needle and jet between front and rear to be sure?

I am assuming from you previous post that the choke is releasing all the way...

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks John I appreciate your logic. I wish I had anotherbowl cover all mine are banjo style except this one. Perhaps the holes in coverare too large and letting the lever drop and bind or something. I will try andfind one on eBay or maybe think of something.

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I know someone who was having problems with missing and flooding On his TR3 and he finally tracked it down to the the float bowl Mounting bolt grommets. The ones that look like a "top hat". They were partially blocking the opening. He ended up carefully trimming back the rubber(Viton?) a tiny bit so it wouldn't block the hole and that solved the problem.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Just had a thought...try pumping the hand lever on the fuel pump and see if the front carb starts leaking fuel into the throttle bore. If it doesn't, that will at least eliminate the float valve. If it does leak, then you've narrowed it down.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The new aftermarket pump does not have a primer dealie, butnice thought John. I thought about those rubber deals blocking the holes, but Iseem to be getting gas into the cylinders because the plugs turn black when I runit with the choke out to keep it running. But it does act like it is starvingfor fuel also. I am going to have glass bead some more plugs. Anyways beforeall this started it was running great and when it started it backfired uponstarting and then started missing. That iswhen I changed all the ignition stuff, and it actually got better when I changedthe cap, but was back the next day.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I have a friend who says "it's always ignition". He says it every time I think I have a carb problem, and is usually right!?! Could be something not normally changed with a tuneup, like a loose connection.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Has the gas in your tank become "aged". How old is the gas ? Maybe the ethanol has caused the gas to lose its "pep". Slide a separate rubber fuel hose onto the metal inlet pipe to the front end of the fuel pump filter bowl and suck new fresh fuel from a container holding it up above the distributer. If it still chugs etc. it's not the fuel.

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
In regard to "it's always the ignition." A couple of years ago I was having problems with black carbon on the plugs.After trying everything else I sent the distributor to Jeff at Advance and he rebuilt the unit and set it up to my car specs. That solved the problem. Also that little ground wire on the dist plate can sometimes break where you can't see it and cause grief.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
The first step to setting up float levels is to remove the piston/needle assembly and look at the level of fuel as it comes up to the bridge inside the jet.If it is too high (level to the top of the jet) the floats need to be lowered.What you are after is a level 40 to 60 thousands (1mm/1.5mm)When both carbs are the same,put the pistons back on and do the mixture setting(pray to the needle Gods).Now go fix the ignition problem.......
MD(mad dog)