• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

milage range on Tank

KevinR

Before realizeing the float from my fuel sender was no longer attached to the fuel sender I ran my BN7 out of fuel last week. I am asking for rough numbers but how many miles can you drive on a tank of fuel. I have a stock sized tank of 12 Gallons

This car ammazes my how well it goes down the road. the overdrive is a marvel you can hold a conversation while on the freeway. I have about 100 miles on a complete mechanical restoration.

Thanks for all of you advice
Kevin R

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Kevin,

The best way is to calculate the MPG for your car over several fillups. (and a spare one gallon tank in the trunk is not a bad idea either!). Obviously, your milage will vary (sorry .. just had to write that!) depending on how you drive, city vs. freeway miles and mechanical variables of your particular car. I average about 18mpg with my BJ7 before the rebuild.

Cheers,
John

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
While we're on the subject, how does one keep the nozzle from burbing fuel all over the paint??? It's very frustrating, but almost every one of my fill-ups accomplishes this! Dave

John Loftus

Darth Vader
I don't recall having that problem here ... but in California we have a rubber bellows that goes around the nozzle to limit outgassing during filling. Do you have that type in NY? This seems to seal the filler pipe pretty well and the fuel cut off keeps from overfilling. I do try to keep a rag handy to wipe any errand drips.

Cheers,
John

OP
K

KevinR

After the first time I put fuel in this car at the station I had a fountain coming out of the fuel filler. The califrnia bellows at the greatest thing. I dont see them in the midwest and most fuel stations smell like raw fuel.

I am glad that I am not the first to spill all over the car
Kevin R

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
I have a stock sized tank of 12 Gallons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Kevin, I believe the stock tank capacity is 14.4 gallons, which is what my replacement aluminum tank was listed as. Even with lousy mileage you should get 200-250 miles on a tank safely. Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
NO, we don't have the bellows like California, I remember those, we have something similar that I've trid to press down on the neck to no avail. I've thought about using paper towels from the dispensor, but when the gas gets on them, they're probaly classified as HazMat. Last fillup, I tried to figure out how much gas I needed to stop before the auto cut-off, but I needed less than I thought!

AndrewMawson

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
Before realizeing the float from my fuel sender was no longer attached to the fuel sender I ran my BN7 out of fuel last week. I am asking for rough numbers but how many miles can you drive on a tank of fuel. I have a stock sized tank of 12 Gallons
This car ammazes my how well it goes down the road. the overdrive is a marvel you can hold a conversation while on the freeway. I have about 100 miles on a complete mechanical restoration.

Thanks for all of you advice
Kevin R

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that to be 12 UK gallons, I think it is about 14 and a bit US ones. I get a generous 220 miles in my BJ8 to the tank full - long journeys can raise that to 250. I do however carry a one gallon tank in the boot 'just in case'

AWEM

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Kevin, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif Figure on two hundred miles to be safe.---Keoke

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
how does one keep the nozzle from burbing fuel all over the paint??? Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave--

To eliminate this problem get a 100.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll get better gas milage too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how does one keep the nozzle from burbing fuel all over the paint??? Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave--

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif I'm working on it!

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
You'll get better gas milage too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and you can put the $$ savings toward the aluminum head that you will inevitably need.

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
I guess you gentlemen are using "city" MPG figures as if you mutiply 14.4 gallons x 26 mpg (Highway Factory Figure?) you should get over 350 miles per tank.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
---- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
----Keep on multiplying David and you can walk all the way back---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

David_K

Jedi Hopeful
I bet the figures are so low because the miles are mostly trips around the block. Might take some of you guys a year to accumulate 300 miles! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
The reality is that unless you are driving 50 mph on flat land, most of the cars will get around 18 to 22 mpg. Since it is not particularly wise to completely drain the tank between fills, & some tanks don't like to be filled to the brim, a working capacity of 11 gallons is often used. This gives a realistic working range of 200 to 240 miles.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I bet the figures are so low because the miles are mostly trips around the block. Might take some of you guys a year to accumulate 300 miles! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you believe 3000 or more.----Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif