• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB MGB Fuel Injection?

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
Has anybody had any experience with trying to fuel inject an MGB? I know Moss is marketing a fuel injection kit but, has anyone done any experimenting with a home made setup? Are there any advantages to using the Moss kit? I mean besides the obvious advantage of easy starting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
the major advantage, imho, is that the moss kit is a legal alternative to the z/s carb in California

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I believe Bret is planning on installing said kit on his 78, but i'm not sure on his progress with it. I think he's also planning on some non-visible mods to help boost power output of the engine. I'm curious to know if he still manages to pass smog with his hopped up engine.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've sold only 1 Moss kit & it went to California.

OP
kyreb1862

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
Is there any performance advantage? What got me thinking about the whole concept was an old VW Scirroco I had once. I always wondered if any one had tried to home engineer fuel injection using VW components. it always looked possible since the Scirocco had a 1.8 Liter engine also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

The main problem with fuel injecting a MGB is that it has siamesed intake ports.... cylinders 1 & 2 get fuel and air from the same port, and cylinders 3 & 4 from the same port. So you can't do a more modern port injected FI system unless you've blown the $2-3K quid on a crossflow 4-port head. The only answer is a CFI (central fuel injection) unit. That means one large fuel injector sitting over a single throttle body. Another problem is that there aren't many if any aftermarket FI computer guys that sell a programmable CFI computer. Most of them sell programmable fuel curve computers based on an injector over each cylinder.

Engine size doesn't play a game at all, unless it has similar valve train timing, siamesed intake ports, and fuel curves designed to meet the needs of an engine of almost exact design as a MGB 1800 engine.

Sorry to break the news... but almost anything not designed around MOSS's new unit (or at minumum a programmable CFI) will not be useful to anyone wanting to modernly inject a MGB engine. It has been done, but with way more problems and money than the MOSS system sells for.

Just my 2¢ worth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
kyreb1862

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
Your 2 cents is worth as much as the next guys. Sometimes I just like to let my mind wander and speculate on things. I guess its the gunsmith in me I just love to tinker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Throttle body fuel injection is by far the easiest way to adapt fuel injection to "late model" MGBs, ala Moss's kit or something similar. As for whether or not there's any noticeable power gains, I've no clue. I've yet to hear first hand experiences from anyone that's installed the kit on their car. However, I don't expect there to be much improvement on an engine that's other wise stock.

However, I'd like to play devil's advocate here, and say that you CAN adapt multi-port fuel injection to an MGB despite the siamese ports on a stock head. You'd just have to over come that obstacle by either putting two injectors on each port or by putting a single injector in each port and sending multiple injection pulses (2 per revolution) to the injector.

Granted, like Kenny said, it'd be a lot easier to do multi-port injection with one of those high dollar cross flow heads.

At the BMTA this year Kalvin Doods of Moss and I talked about MGB FI kit. He said it not meant to be a performance upgrade and was originally design with emmisons in mind, however people have been going this route to increase reliabilty according to Kalvin, they even had a customer who put one on a MGA, and said his MGA never cranked and ran so smoothly ever before.

swift6

Yoda
A local club member has adapted a Ford Tempo throttle body to the MGB single Zenith Manifold and runs it with a megasquirt computer. He's using this system in a rubber bumper BGT. So far he reports excellent driveability and reliability.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I think I saw pics of the RB B GT on the Mega Squirt site.

My dream engine would be a multiport injected crossflow head, with a crank triggered CDI ignition system (one coil for each plug). Or if Moss would bolt up their CFI injection onto the supercharger (still with the CDI ignition)... Then the 1800 B series engine would be brought into the new millenium. Twin cam would be nice too. No... wait... that's an Alfa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
kyreb1862

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
The system I had always thought of using was the Bosch CIS Injection. This was a type of mechanical injection. I always kind of thought this was more doable since there was a minimum of electronics involved. I think I'll visit my local auto salvage yard and gather up a few items and try this project this winter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
I always thought the opposite. I never figured out how to go about matching the fuel delivery of a Bosch (K-Jetronic) mechanical CIS system to a given engine.

EFI using fully programmable ECU's like Megasquirt allow you to make adjustments to fuel delivery easily, instantly and, if you like, on the fly (on a dyno or even while driving around).

In the Bosch system the "black magic" happens inside the fuel distributor assembly and is further tweaked by a variety of parasitic gizmos. You can't just jack in your laptop and keystroke adjustments like an EFI. As far as I know you can't swap out sequential, incrementally calibrated bits like you can with Webers. I've never read a good description of how it's done by car manufacturers when they set up systems for different cars. I always assumed it meant trial and error machining on little fiddly bits.

PC.