• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA MGA Colors & VIN

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, today I'm looking at the VIN's on my 2 1959 MGA's (& I'm beginning to realize the MGA coupe is probably the sexiest post-WWII car MG ever made!)....

My roadster is 'HDRxxxxxxx' which means it was originally Mineral Blue w/either a gray or black w/ blue piping interior; the coupe is 'HMKxxxxxxx' which means it was originally Orient Red w/either a red or black interior.

I was planning on painting both OEW....however, with the color identified in the VIN, what're your thoughts about changing colors from the original?

(<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Oh, I don't even know what Mineral Blue looks like!</span> & I can't find any evidence the roadster was ever red - white appears to be the original color when I look in all the usual nooks & crannies!)

EDIT: Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh, I just found it! Offered only on the coupe!

cnsc0102_3s.jpg

cnsc0102_4s.jpg

941845-700-0.jpg

Steve_S

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I'm beginning to realize the MGA coupe is probably the sexiest post-WWII car MG ever made![/QUOTE]
:iagree:

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
I quite like that blue colour Tony. I'd probably opt for that on the coupe,and OEW on the roadster.

I agree with on the sexiest car too,Tony. :thumbsup:

Stuart. :cheers:

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Stuart - I'm beginning to think the same as you...that is one beautiful color combination!

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
1959-MGA-Coupe-OEW.jpg
941845-700-0.jpg

No, sorry, no red coupe for me!

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
& back to my original question....

What're your thoughts about changing colors from the original?

On some cars, I don't mind changing - Jerri's Glacier White GT was - heck, who knows - red, I think....but GT's aren't that rare (& hers started out as a '71 before I started changing everything on it to the things I like! That's how it became a '70 with a '67 dash & '79 seats/brake setup plus lots of other changes). But on other cars, it seems respectfull to leave them like they came out of the factory...

Thoughts?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
When I restored the TR3, I went with a color combination that I liked. The Heritage Trust certificate didn't reflect what the car was originally anyway! I just made sure that my choices were factory colors for the year.

Same with the MGB. It was originally Mallard Green, and we went with Black Tulip (Janet's choice, since it's her car).

The TR8 was also green - Poseidon - but I wanted something different, so I chose a Mitsubishi pearl metallic color that I thought looked good.

All three of mine were done purely for our enjoyment, without too much concern for originality. However, your situation is different. You are assembling a stable of examples; you're more of a collector. And since the coupe is more of a rare bird, I think that if I were you, I'd go with as much originality as I could.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ah, but Mickey, MGB's didn't show colors in VIN like MGA's did!

For example, my 2 MGA Coupe parts cars, 1 is HMD4364373 which is a 1959 Mineral Blue car & the other is HMT4341343 which is a 1957 Light Green car - though you couldn't tell by looking at them right now.

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The world does not need another RED MG!. The blue is gorgeous. I think it could only be improved with the wire wheels and wide whitewall tires. I'd put that combination up against any Jag in a "sexy, curvy car" competition. (Just my opinion, of course). I used to have a neighbor that had a mineral blue coupe. Just a beautiful car.
Bruce
Here is my (wife's) new blue car, arriving this morning.
MiniArrival1.jpg

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Steve,

Soooo, that's where Morrises came from!!!

What a great observation..in some warped sorta way... I love it.. :thumbsup:

And Tony, I vote for the Blue/Grey Coupe... although that bright red one looks really good to me...

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'd rather see them the original color whenever possible and something that is not very common. Make it stand out from all the other, Black, Red, or white MG's out there.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tony barnhill said:

Sorry - don't see your point. VIN is one thing; build records are another. The build records do reflect colors from the factory.

Again, what I was saying is that my choices were personal, and I wasn't concerned with preserving the cars as they were built. Actually, in hindsight, if I were concerned with issues of originality, I should have restored the TR3 as it was reported by the build records: Beige with blue leather interior and a white convertible top, even though that was not original to the car, as I discovered. The interior was stone vinyl, and must have been changed out by the dealer, if indeed blue leather was supplied from the factory. Beige with blue is a weird combination, but if I were interested in preserving "history", I would have restored it that way.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
aeronca65t,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]How about a nice ~Brown One~ ...won't show the dirt!
[/QUOTE]
I hope that was a picture of a Coupe on its way to restoration and not the other way....

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mickey Richaud said:
tony barnhill said:

Sorry - don't see your point. VIN is one thing; build records are another. The build records do reflect colors from the factory.

Again, what I was saying is that my choices were personal, and I wasn't concerned with preserving the cars as they were built. Actually, in hindsight, if I were concerned with issues of originality, I should have restored the TR3 as it was reported by the build records: Beige with blue leather interior and a white convertible top, even though that was not original to the car, as I discovered. The interior was stone vinyl, and must have been changed out by the dealer, if indeed blue leather was supplied from the factory. Beige with blue is a weird combination, but if I were interested in preserving "history", I would have restored it that way.
& both of yours are beautiful...guess the difference is if a person 'reads' the MGA VIN they know right away the correct colot...but with an MGB they have to send away for the build certificate.

Nial said:
How about a nice ~Brown One~ ...won't show the dirt!

All kidding aside, these cars really do stand out...a truly beautiful car.
I miss the '56 roadster that I had when I was 16.
Someday.....
One of my parts cars is in about that shape...I'm pondering whether or not I should separate the body from the frame before crushing the body...heck, the body's gonna fold in half if I take it off the frame!