• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Manual windshield washer?

Millrat

Jedi Hopeful
Some one used my windshield washer bottle for a radiator overflow :nonono:! How difficult is it to find the screw on top for a 62 MKII? Is it worth the effort to make this item work?

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Another member here gave me a whole new bottle and lid that I believe was from a laboratory supply house for the price of shipping, and some else offered one. Maybe one of those good souls will chime in here.

Previously I had purchased a lid one for my BE from Moss Europe (along with a bunch of other stuff) and it didn't fit. Different threads, not even close. It lies in a box with the many many other parts I have bought that didn't fit LOL but aren't worth returning. :madder:

I would not say this thing was worth fixing. If I didn't have that big hole in the dash already I probably would not have fooled with it.

Charlie

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
These things show up on ebay periodically. You'll probably have to buy the entire bottle.

I've never found the washer very useful, but I almost never drove in the rain or other dirty conditions. Whether it's useful to you depends on how you use the car.

OP
M

Millrat

Jedi Hopeful
As you say, I really don't expect to get the car wet in the outdoors, let alone get the windshield dirty
grin.gif
. I would like to keep what is there working or at least presentable. The bottle is still good but the cap is distorted from the heat? of the radiator fluid.

OP
M

Millrat

Jedi Hopeful
The_architect said:
It lies in a box with the many many other parts I have bought that didn't fit LOL but aren't worth returning. :madder:

Charlie
Why does it have to be this way? I also have a box like that!

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Does the rad overflow work? What are you using for a rad cap (I'm assuming that the water bottle isn't pressurized(?))?
Thanks
Doug

OP
M

Millrat

Jedi Hopeful
The_architect said:
CAUTION: The lid in the link that Ray posted (reposted below) did NOT fit the early bottle.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=988&SortOrder=1

Another clarification is that 90 degree angle fitting shown going through the lid is <span style="text-decoration: underline">not included</span>. I suppose a 90 degree barbed fitting would work but it sure wouldn't look as good as the brass.

Good to know. Fortunately the Prev Owner just took the origanil tube out and let it dangle so I still have the brass fitting.

OP
M

Millrat

Jedi Hopeful
twas_brillig said:
Does the rad overflow work? What are you using for a rad cap (I'm assuming that the water bottle isn't pressurized(?))?
Thanks
Doug

I really don't know. I haven't driven the car in 30 yrs and the little it has been driven recently was really not enough to test it. From the looks of the bottle something was green was going back and forth! Not pressurized.

nomad

Yoda
Millrat said:
twas_brillig said:
Thanks
Doug

I really don't know. I haven't driven the car in 30 yrs and the little it has been driven recently was really not enough to test it. From the looks of the bottle something was green was going back and forth! Not pressurized.

If your running the original radiator it is fitted with the long reach radiator cap. The overflow return system uses a cap that seals tightly against the top of the rad neck and I don't believe the long reach cap is made that way so I don't imagine it would return the fluid. Would be a nice addition to a early spridget if it works!

Kurt.

OP
M

Millrat

Jedi Hopeful
Checked today and found that the radiator cap had been change to one that said specifically fluid recovery. Now I'm haeaded back to the old parts box to see if the original is there. I learn something new every day!

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Can you advise as to the brand? part number of your 'fluid recvoery cap'?

Doug

nomad

Yoda
Millrat said:
Checked today and found that the radiator cap had been change to one that said specifically fluid recovery. Now I'm haeaded back to the old parts box to see if the original is there. I learn something new every day!

It says fluid recovery but is it the correct lenght cap??

Kurt.

OP
M

Millrat

Jedi Hopeful
nomad said:
Millrat said:

It says fluid recovery but is it the correct lenght cap??

Kurt.

Almost certainly not. My Father inlaw was a great "modifier" and I am sure that he put this cap on without regards to what the original looked like. He went to the local parts house and bought the one he thought would work, drilled a bigger hole in the cap for the bottle and shoved the overflow tube into it. Probably never gave it another thought as he got disgusted with the project and parked the car. Thirty years later.....

nomad

Yoda
Check out Barney Gaylord's 'MGA Guru' site. He tells you how to use a fluid recovery cap in a long reach cap situation as I remember.

Kurt.