• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Making a dashboard

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Okay,so the dash is out of the Tunebug, and I've been thinking about that RHD conversion. I've got the proper steering rack, would need to make up some sort of dash for it. I know I can find one in the UK, or get a fiberglass blank, but I've been giving some thought to making one out of wood. I'd probably plan to cover it with vinyl so it would look authentic, and it would give me some room for a few modifications that could be fun (extra gauges, etc). I don't have metal-working tools, so I figured some 1/4" or 1/2" decent plywood would make a good base.

Any thoughts, pictures, etc? Just trolling for some ideas...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Right hand drive is dangerous here, left hand drive is dangerous there.

Ask me some time how I know this, heck to pass.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
jlaird said:
Right hand drive is dangerous here, left hand drive is dangerous there.

Ask me some time how I know this, heck to pass.
I never had much problems with Amreican spec vehicles in the UK. I drove a full size pickup over there almost daily. You just have to hug the ditch when a lorry passes you on a two lane. I have driven a Mercedes rhd car over here and it was no big deal. As narrow as a midget is, I would think it would not be a problem. I think though that you have to get permission and have a reason with most DMVs. I have a friend that got a rhd Subaru for his wife who delivers mail. That is the trick for that job.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
I would use mdf instead of plywood as it is more stable

Bugeye58

Yoda
Carbon fiber! The only way to fly!!
Hmm. I have a friend that works for Pratt & Miller as their composites guy. I wonder if he could lay one up for me?? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff

paulsherman

Jedi Trainee
Use the old one. Make a pattern (mold), make mold so you can make RHD or LHD and go into business by making them available to all of us who may need them. You will get rich. Then you can buy more parts.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
weewillie said:
I would use mdf instead of plywood as it is more stable

If you use MDF, I highly recommend polyurethaning the heck out of it to seal it. Every get that stuff wet? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
No MDF in a car. It will swell up and kick you right out if it gets humid /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
But maybe 3/4 plywood so you can route out recesses for the switches and gauges. Also you will need internal lit gauges.
Seperate grounds for things like the signal indicator lamp and a few other things that ground via the metal dash. Just keep the ground issue in mind when making a wood or fiberglass dash. Use an exterior grade fir plywood and NOT yellow pine, it warps too easily. More plys, better wood. A/C grade is good on one side, the covered side. If you go with a solid exposed wood use a hardwood like oak, maple, ash, not pine as it is more likely to split and/or warp.

Country flag
Hmmm... A dash of ash /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Drew -

Been thinking of the same. Tackling here in ~ 45 days or so.

Simply was going to pick a solid piece and bolt it onto the old metal dash. Poly the heck out of it (stop warping). Ideally - stin to match with the steering wheel (having probs with the hub) via Summitt Racing (can't afford the $500 one that's been floating around here).

Also - time to add a accurate fuel guage and amp meter and radio.

Keep me posted and I'll do the same.

Tx-

George Zeck

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Would plywood cut to shape with the following work?

https://www.oakwoodveneer.com/samples/samples3.html

6_1.jpg

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Carbon fiber dash is way cool, but too expensive for my taste. If you've got a spare one lying around, Jeff, I'll take it off your hands, though. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I do like the veneer idea, I've got a rosewood steering wheel on order right now. Might make for a nice eventual match. If nothing else, I'm going to try and make a template up of my existing dash while it is out of the car. That way I can play around to my heart's content. I'll probably go with a 3/4" ply for now, but a hardwood like ash or maple makes sense for the future.

Still don't know if I'm going to play with the RHD conversion yet, but I'm sure I will at some point, if for no other reason than to give it a try. I'm not too worried about passing anyone with my current motor (well, maybe a bicyclist or runner, maybe), and I won't be using it for a daily driver in any sort of heavy traffic. Thanks all for the ideas (and the links to the veneers, nice stuff). I'll keep you posted.

bugimike

Yoda
The veneer dash will work great,Drew! If you choose to go to RHD you could still use your steel dash with a new veneer cut to fit the new holes and which covers the old holes. Here is a picture of my dash with a veneer over it. It has been on for a few years now, so I need to remove and re-varnish it, but this is not hard since it is not glued on! All the switches and instruments hold it in place (it is 1/8" thick and shows no signs of any warping - marine-grade veneer!)

Attachments

• 4423-100_1670.jpg
    4423-100_1670.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 54
OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm planning now to try and make a template from my original dash. The original dash is uncut, so I don't want to mess it up. My ideal would be to get a basic shape fit up, and use that as a router template to make new dashes. Then I could experiment with various gauge layouts, as well as with RHD and LHD configurations.

The flat configuration of the Bugeye dash really lends itself to experimentation. I'd love to get a template made out of Lexan or similar so it would last a long time. I could do a new dash every year. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Mike, I like the 4-gauges in a row on your Bugeye. A very Italian setup.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
You can always consider "engine turned" aluminum, too.

Mine is sort of quick and dirty. It's built from 1/8" aluminum (like stuff street signs are made from) and was "engine turned" with a wire wheel on a drill press. For me, it didn't need to be a showpiece...I knocked it off in a few hours using a wood-cutting band saw (with fine teeth), some hole saws and a bit of filing.
But if you took your time, it could look real nice and very "period". Lizard is "optional".

lizard.jpg

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I like that dash, Nial. That's the sort of thing I had in mind. Gives me some good ideas. This is going to be fun. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

zimmy

Jedi Knight
plywood BAD.... countertop GOOD!
anything but carving woods are gonna
spit, swell, fall apart etc....
im not a wood expert, though i am a carpenter.. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
with a little studying on the net,
u could probably make a nice fiberglass
dash, eh? ..light and cheap......zimmmmy

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'll experiment with a few types of wood to see what I can come up with. Painted exterior grade plywood is my first choice, as it's cheap. I don't expect the original templates I come up with to last forever, as I'll be experimenting with gauge placement and the like.

bugimike

Yoda
The key to wood use is the "Marine" designation!!!It is designed for elements harsher than found on the street (unless you live on or by the beach!)

If custom configuration is wanted, certainly the way to go is with fiberglass...Check out some of the 'glass enclosures that are being made by the "tuner" set for their speaker boxes...construction tips abound in their magazines on creative molding of interesting shapes etc!!!

The instrument layout on my dash, rather than trying to be Italian (though that's not BAD!) was for ease of seeing all those guages easily at a glance...and it works!! And it looks nice too! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif