• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lost 3rd & 4th Gear ??

83Pbass

Freshman Member
Beautiful day in South Florida, 68 and sunny. So I decide to take the 4A to work this morning. Nice 10 mile ride down Juno Beach. At about half way I go to shift to 3rd and nothing is there, go for 4th and nothing. Basically the whole right side of the GBX feels like neutral. Turned around and drove home in 2nd gear. I have 1st, 2nd and reverse. Have I toasted my gearbox or is it some sort of linkage thing? Wife was pulling out of the drive way as I limped in. Yep, I got that look.

Sheeeeez !!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DANG! :shocked:

Well, I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'll vote linkage.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Something in the top cover and selector section would be my guess as well. At least you don't have to pull the transmission out to check it.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fingers crossed here...

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
TexasKnucklehead said:
Something in the top cover and selector section would be my guess as well. At least you don't have to pull the transmission out to check it.

:iagree: I would not drive it, if a setscrew came off one of the selector shafts and falls in the gears then you will really have a problem.

MikeP

Jedi Knight
I'd vote for the setscrew coming out of the fork, or perhaps a broken 3rd/4th fork. Since you have the other gears the rest of the linkage seems ok so I'd guess it's isolated to that one shaft and fork assembly.

OP

83Pbass

Freshman Member
Thanks all, so it sounds and feels like the shifter is no longer mechanically connected to the gearbox. Is it just a matter of pulling up the carpet and removing the top end cover of the the GBX to have a look. No fluids or gaskets to worry about?

This started on Sunday, out for a short drive and noticed that it sometimes only partially went into 3rd just did not feel right, would have to move the shifter around a bit to get it in gear. Then today poof! So it sounds like I may get off lucky, just a set screw or a $90.00 3-4 fork? Is this something a novice can do at home?

Thanks,

Jim

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
83Pbass said:
Yep, I got that look.
Love and affection?

Pbass: I don't know your experience but you can do this. Here is a brief explanation. Really not so tuff to fix (if we are right) and not nearly as daunting as the gearbox itself. You will need to take out the dash support and gearbox cover to get to the top cover on the gearbox. Put it in neutral as best you can. There are 8 bolts holding the top cover to the gearbox case. Lift the cover, shifter and all up and off. Nothing flys out, nothing leaks. You will probably find the selector fork for 3rd and 4th, which is on the center shaft, is loose on the shaft. There is a set screw that holds it to the shaft which could be loose or might have fallen out. That is hopefully the problem.

Like I said, brief. Here is more info: Buckeye Triumphs Gearbox Cover

Scroll down to gearbox info
VTR Maintenance

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'll also vote for the selector fork loose on the shaft. Had the same exact thing happen to me once in a TR3A, fixed it on the side of the road.

Hard part may be finding another one of those dang pins. Last I checked, they were NLA. If so, you may need to re-engineer the joint slightly (perhaps by reaming for a solid straight pin).

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Moss lists them part# 848-060 only $16.95. Later 3's thru 4A which do not have a hole for a retaining wire. 2 thru early 3 NLA. But before you order see if thats it and find all of the old one.

OP

83Pbass

Freshman Member
Well, just received a call from the mechanic. Apparently at some time someone modified the 3-4 selector shaft to a two piece unit similar to the 1-2 shaft. The modified end piece of the shaft has fallen off and it is gone. I now require a 3-4 selector shaft for my 4A. Now the best part, the shaft is not available from the after-market suppliers. Do any of you have any ideas as to where I may locate the part or a work around??

Thanks,

Jim

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Check with Bill over at Slightly Classics; he supposedly has a bonepile of gearboxes sans bellhousings that he would like to give away. I'm hoping he can hang on until I get over there with a truck, but it hasn't happened yet.

If that doesn't pan out, let me know. I'm sure I've got a spare somewhere.

Machining one would be my last resort (even though I have the tools), as there are quite a few features that need to be precisely located for proper operation.

BTW, to the best of my knowledge, the shift shafts were always one piece (not counting the shift forks). If your 1-2 shaft is in two pieces, you might want to replace it as well.

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
83Pbass said:
Do any of you have any ideas as to where I may locate the part or a work around??

Take some black paint and remove the 3 - 4 leg of the H on the shift knob.
grin.gif
You did not specify a <span style="font-style: italic">good</span> work around. :jester: :devilgrin:

OP

83Pbass

Freshman Member
Found 3rd & 4th gear!! and then some. After much INTERNET sleuthing I found a guy that said he had a contact in England that could get a 3-4 selector shaft but it would take a few weeks. Well after 4 beautiful south Florida weekends with my TR on the fritz I had to do something drastic, Ebay. Came across a fellow in Ft Lauderdale who had a few complete top covers, one in particularly good shape. Grabbed it and went to see my guy. Within days me and my TR were back on the road. In all my excitement, I forgot about my connection across the pond, sure enough a few days after getting the TR on the road a package shows up at my door. I guess the English guy felt bad for taking so long ( now about 6 weeks) and sent me two 3-4 selector shafts. So I now have running TR and a plethora of top cover components.

While driving a bit yesterday I noticed a new noise. After initial start up I get some belt noise that quickly goes away. Yesterday the belt noised morphed into what sounded like an Owl under the bonnet. Lasted a few minutes and subsided as well.

Anyone else have birds singing in their bonnet??

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Watch out for water pump or alternator bearing noises. The two top suspects.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
83Pbass said:
While driving a bit yesterday I noticed a new noise. After initial start up I get some belt noise that quickly goes away. Yesterday the belt noised morphed into what sounded like an Owl under the bonnet. Lasted a few minutes and subsided as well.

Anyone else have birds singing in their bonnet??
Had exactly that on the TR3 a few months ago. It was the front generator bearing. The screeching got louder, then quiet several times. I ordered a new bearing, and tried to keep driving the car, as it was quiet most of the time. But the last time it got quiet, it was because the bearing had locked completely, and the belt was slipping.

Fortunately, the new bearing came in the next day.