• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hidden cd player/radio behind blanking plate?

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
After looking at Chris' stereo setup ( https://www.67healey.com./finished/), I started getting ideas of how to hide the CD player but still keep it in the center console. My only concern with the above setup (3000 motif attached to flip down deck) is that it still is very visible. I would like to do something a little more stealth. However, I don't have a lot of experience in this area and could definitely use some input/advice.

The radio blanking plate and 3000 motif provide a great "cover" for the CD player. Could you just install the CD player a quarter inch or so back and figure out a way to attach the radio plate/3000 over it? I was thinking either clips, magnets, or a hinge. It would be nice to be able to completely cover up the CD player at all times retaining the stock look. However if you wanted to access the radio, you would just pop off the radio blanking plate. Does anyone have any thoughts or idea on how this could be accomplished? (without spending too much $$$$)

Thanks!
-Brandon

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Unless I'm mistaken, that's Chris from Long Island, who takes his BJ8 to all the same shows that my son and I go to and kicks our butt every time. There's no way you can make a car look like Chris' without spending big $$$$. But then, we stand proud knowing that we don't have to impress the crowd with all that shiney chrome and weber carbs. We're all original. We're hard core. We're never gonna beat Chris. Nuts.

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
I agree, but I'm actually just referring to the CD player/radio setup. I spoke with Chris and basically his setup consists of a Kenwood deck with the 3D-Mask feature that flips around when turned on. On the flat side of the deck they attached the 3000 motif to give it more of a stock look. That part of the car/radio didn't require too much additional expenses above and beyond the CD player installation.

I just got the idea from that installation but I would like to use the radio blanking plate to cover up the entire area when not in use.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi Brandon,
First thing you'll need to do is find a deck that can be bolted in far enough back in center consol so that the face of the cd player does not extend through the blanking plate area. Bolt the cd player to the metal bar that is riveted to the trans tunnel, that centers the consol. Something creative along those lines.

Cut an opening in the center consol only big enough to use the controls.

I would glue some small magnets on the inside edges of the blanking plate.

Is that along the lines of what your trying to do?
Roger

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Roger, that sounds exactly like what I was thinking. My main concern is finding a deck that will fit like you describe and installing it. Any ideas on how to measure for what I want to do so I can know what dimensions to look when choosing a deck? Also, do you think the magnets would harm the deck at all?

Thanks!

AJAX50

Country flag
How about installing an amp. then just using an i-pod put in a small box behind the blanking plate. Velcro could be good for holding the blanking plate in place.

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
That's a good idea, except that I really like radio (sports talk) and I'm not a huge Ipod fan. I'll keep it in mind though.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Brandon,

If you do decide to go with magnets, I have used neodymium magnets on similar projects with good results. If you search around the net they can be found for little cost. Get a range of sizes/thicknesses so you can experiment with holding power.

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
BrandonBJ8 said:
That's a good idea, except that I really like radio (sports talk) and I'm not a huge Ipod fan. I'll keep it in mind though.

Well Brandon, you may not be a fan of the Ipod, but I think conventional AM/Fm radios With CD players are just about to exist the scene like the Radios with the tape players in them of the past. I think there will exist in the not too distant future two systems. 1] The Satellite radio which is unique, and 2] the DAP. The DAP encloses; the MP3 format allowing data compression and greater storage capacity, Video, The Telephone, the Ipod's capabilities and the current Satellite position devices GPS.---Fwiw--Keoke-?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I bought my neodymium magnets at Tap Plastics. $2.50 for (6) 1/4" round magnets. My previous post about GPS in a Healey has a photo of the magnets. Roger

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Keoke, I tend to disagree with you. While I do think CD players are on the way out in favor of mp3 devices, I do not think satellite radio will take the place of AM/FM; at least not for 5-10 years. As a former investor in Sirius, I just don't see XM or Sirius succeeding with their current business model (debt+debt+debt=?). The only hope is the merger, which will very likely get shot down by the FTC/FCC. I used to own an XM radio in my car and loved it, but I still think it will take quite a while longer to catch on to the general masses.

On another note, any suggestions for finding a deck that can be installed back a bit to use the blanking plate as a cover?

OP
B

BrandonBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Just ordered my magnets from K&J. Bought a variety of sizes to try out. Now I just need to find a deck!

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Most AM/FM CD players all are about the same size (1 din). You can get some of them with remote control, so that if you mount it behind the blanking plate, but have trouble reaching the controls, the remote would allow you to turn it off/on and change stations.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Brandon,
I’d bet anyone that has tackled this project has done something different. My head unit rotates down to expose a disk slot. I wanted to make sure that the door didn’t hit the lower lip of the console as it flipped open. The first photo shows how far back the radio cage is set behind the console face. I bent, then welded in some brackets that the cage would mount to. The welded portion encases the sides and bottom (second photo). The top bracket is screwed in. The bottom two blue arrows in photo #2 show drilled holes for the cage tangs to bend into, there are two more on the top bracket. The next photo shows the radio installed. Even with the cage set back behind the console, this radio still sticks out a smidge.
4550-cage.jpg

4551-lowerbracket.jpg

4552-radioin.jpg

Attachments

• 4550-cage.jpg
    4550-cage.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 4551-lowerbracket.jpg
    4551-lowerbracket.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 4552-radioin.jpg
    4552-radioin.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 88

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No Brandon, I do not think the merger is in any trouble because the two companies service different customers and they will continue to be serviced. This is typical of many current manufacturers. Further, at least for now, converters will allow XM to write directly onto an unused FM channel. The fly in the ointment, besides who gets the money, is the GPS system which is unique. OH! some of the new higher end automobiles will be incuding Satellite radio in their products which should help out just a bit.---Fwiw---Keoke

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
on a sirius note, it was included in my wife's car so I have it. It works about half the time around me, cutting in and out. It's ok, but not something I'd pay for. When it comes time to reup, there isn't a chance I'd pay.

Frankly, I'm not unhappy with my regular late 60s Becker radio/cassette. Looks right, plays well. What more do you need?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh yes SHG, that was an early problem, However, the new antennas are going to minimise that.Plus some of the early antennas were installed incorrectly.--Fwiw--Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag