• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 radio console

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've been contemplating whether to get one of those under the dash reproduction radio consoles for my TR3A. I had my original set up mounted under the glove box and worked out quit well there too but thought one of those consoles would look more original. However that big black box under the dash has me concerned that I may not like it. Searching Goggle and the net there aren't any good pics of a installed unit to help me decide. Does anyone have any good pics to share or any constructive comments? Looks like British Wiring has a nice reproduction.

images

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I believe the originals had a more squarish grill that fit over the oval speaker opening and hid the mounting bolts.

(I think that photo was from Frank Angellini.)

Not exactly my cuppa tea; but I don't find them objectionable. It does block the heater doors a bit, but probably not enough to make any difference in how little heat comes out. The installation page describes it as "so that the flow of hot air is directed away from Radio Unit".

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
If i went with anything, it'd be a blue tooth player...so the entire thing could be hidden under the dash and operate from my iPhone wirelessly. With the factory unit I'd think my fine Italian leather racing gloves would dent the speaker grill every time i jammed 3rd?!?

I have a question though. For 5 years the TR2/3's had the large speaker hole punched in the passenger kick panel. Was that ever used for any radio systems? Seems odd they stamped it for so many years for nothing.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yes, the early cars used a giant speaker in that hole, along with a 2 piece tube radio mounted in place of the glove box. Not a very popular option, but I have seen a few of them.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, I've got fairly fat hands, but had no trouble driving Fred's car without hitting the speaker grille. Might be more of a problem with one of the fat aftermarket shift knobs, though. IIRC Fred had the smaller stock knob.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Never thought about the heater. Don't think I've ever used it believe it or not in Ohio. Maybe for the defrost. Never thought of Johns idea. But I've never done any of that. I put in my TR7 a blue tooth radio with a flash drive. Like the flash drive and got most of my music on one drive. Hoping for the right pics of the cotpit showing the console.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Neat pics, Randall. Good to know it was used for something! Kinda reminds me of the first time I opened up a T-38 "bonnet". It had a 3 foot rack for the original tube radio, but by the 1980's the radio was reduced to about 9" square.

NeilRogers

Country flag
The photo is from TeriAnn Wakeman's site. She took the photo of the radio in my car at the 1988 Portland All British. The car was sold new in Edmonton Alberta with the PYE radio as shown.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks, Neil. I have no idea how those photos wound up in a folder with Frank's name on it, but I've corrected the problem and hopefully I'll get it right next time.

On the topic of a player controlled by a cell phone, I don't think I would care for that. I tried using my Android phone as a player last summer in a friend's pickup, and that was hassle enough. It would be even worse having to fumble with a phone while driving a TR (not to mention that it's now effectively illegal in some states to have a phone in your hand while driving).

What I did before and will likely do again is hide a modern stereo with CD-MP3 capability where the glovebox should be. A single CD can hold 16-20 hours of audio book in MP3 format, and I could control playback, volume, etc. by reaching underneath; only opening the glovebox door to change CDs.

The only real problem I had was that the defroster vents are not water-tight, and not covered by the tonneau cover. It doesn't rain often around here, but the car lives outdoors and when it does rain, water gets in through the defroster vent and runs down into the stereo module. Took me awhile to understand that :smile:

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
About two years ago, I found a guy who had three radio mounts still in their original boxes - so I bought them from him. I installed one in my car and sold the other two. One of the originals I sold to a forum member, Tropical TR, who can give you the differences between the originals and the British Wiring replica as he has both.

Bill
TS63273L

IMG_1528.jpg

PeterK

Yoda
A great idea from Edd on Wheeler Dealers was to just "throw" a couple of Bluetooth speakers in the back and stream music from your cell phone. No wires. Take them with you.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks, Neil. I have no idea how those photos wound up in a folder with Frank's name on it, but I've corrected the problem and hopefully I'll get it right next time.

On the topic of a player controlled by a cell phone, I don't think I would care for that. I tried using my Android phone as a player last summer in a friend's pickup, and that was hassle enough. It would be even worse having to fumble with a phone while driving a TR (not to mention that it's now effectively illegal in some states to have a phone in your hand while driving).

You're talking the old gear. Now days you start your car and the car links to your phone and starts playing your last playlist you had playing...without you doing a thing! I've got 3000+ songs on my phone, and I build playlists based on my moods. Then, if you get tired of your songs, you can use the phone to play just about any webcast music or radio shows you want.

The newest versions are voice activated...including answering your phone calls. So you never have to touch your phone...just leave it in your pocket!

Last edited:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've ridden with people trying to use voice activation in an open car. Call me a Luddite, but I would much rather have a button to push! And my TR3 is never going to link to my phone, any more than my buddy's 2011 pickup did.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
And my TR2 will only ever play engine and wind noise!

I do use voice and blue tooth on my bike, with an open helmet, no windscreen and straight pipes. The new tech works just fine. It's only been in the last couple years that voice is usable, though.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
No better sound then running around town shifting and forcing that exhaust note. But it's those 3 hour tours especially to the TRF Summer Party and it looks like I doing it alone this year. So the extra company is important.

PeterK

Yoda
I put a repro radio console in my 3A. Fits right, looks right and I have a rectangular chrome grill from a MG midget console that fits. No speaker in it although I have contemplated putting a DVC (dual voice coil) 8" in the foot well in addition to the rear speakers. For the rears, I utilized the pockets behind the seats, and built mounts with wood.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
But it's those 3 hour tours especially to the TRF Summer Party and it looks like I doing it alone this year. So the extra company is important.
Exactly.
I'm hoping to eventually make some multi-week trips by myself in the TR3; and I definitely enjoyed having books & tunes on my previous long trips. Would have been cool to follow what's left of Route 66 this June, to the Kastner Cup race near Chicago, but that ain't gonna happen. Maybe someday, though.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If I do this I'll probably put in a modern radio like I put in the TR7. I like the fact that i can put all my albums in my pocket and still have room for keys and change. Do have a question about the shape of the original speakers. I seem to remember that they were oval shaped and the face was like a basket weave material or maybe a thin round chromed weave. Fitted on the outside with a trim piece around the speaker.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies. How does the front face attach to the sides? I am making a console out of cardboard to see whether or not I'm going to like it or not. I think I will. However instead of purchasing one I may make one now that I spent the time to make one out of cardboard. I now have templates.

PeterK

Yoda
I've been meaning to take these photos for you. Hope they help now that I got around to it! This one is the radio set from Macy's Garage. Next is the pass rear speaker mount that I made, driver is mirror image. They sound OK but can get muffled if your coat slides over them.P1000819.jpg