• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Headrest Question

L

LarryO

Well the 10 inches of snow finally left, and most of the salt is off the roads, so I drove my 74 B to work tonight. Felt GREAT.

Headrest question. When I bought my car last year, the seller didn't have a tonneau cover. I bought a used one that would fit great except for one thing. The blasted headrest won't go all the way down. No matter what I try, there is still about an inch of the post the headrests are mounted on showing. That inch is enough to keep my tonneau from fitting exactly.

Am I missing something, or is that simply the lowest they will go? I've actually thought about trying to get them out of the seats and sawing off an inch or so of the post.

Ideas?

Thanks.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
To fit properly, try tipping the seats forward just a bit & let the tonneau pull them back to where it wants them to go

100DashSix

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
"..so I drove my 74 B to work tonight. Felt GREAT." Arg! It's just this sort of unabashed admission, Larry, that makes me bubble over in excruciating anticipation for the MGB I've bought, but don't yet have!

(Really just being facetious, of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

OP
L

LarryO

To 100dash...

It probably wouldn't be nice to tell you that it has been a slow night, so far...and that I was able to bring the B into the building and put a coat of wax on it.

OP
L

LarryO

I really need to get a picture posted on here...just gotta find time.

It's a 74 chrome bumper. Color: Bright, Screaming, University of Tennessee Orange...otherwise known as Blaze Red.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
If it has original chrome bumbers, it is a 74 model...the sabrina indicates it was made in the first half of the calander year 1974...the 74 1/2 was the first rubber bumper, introduced in mid 1974. You bought best and last of the chrome bumpers, IMHO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I find it is easier to put the tonneau on if I move the seats slighlty forward and tilt the seatback rake back a little bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Color: Bright, Screaming, University of Tennessee Orange...

[/ QUOTE ]

University of Florida needs new "Gator Bait" ... Any Volunteers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Up until this year I would have jumped in with some sitty comment but after the last miserable season I think I will just continue to hang my head in shame. Still, it was a good run through the Manning/Martin years. This too shall pass.
JC

OP
L

LarryO

We used to say "avoid the rush...hate Bama early." IMHO, the Gators are gaining on BAMA. Wrong place for this discussion, but it sure is good-natured fun to "hate" the Tide and the Gators.

Got work.

OP
L

LarryO

I appreciate the comments on the tonneau cover installation. But, even when I tilt the seats forward while installing the cover, the headrests still stick up a little further than I want them to.

I guess I'll just live with it. I don't really have to use the tonneau that often.

Roll Tide /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Do you know how to tilt the seatback a little bit? The chrome handle on the inside of the seatback should lift the whole back up enough to release a cog and let the seat back adjust. Move the seat up and the seatback back and down.

And the more often you use the tonneau, the easier it works.

Bruce

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Roll Tide! They need to completely fill the headliner pocket in the tonneau so it is tight & can shed water...if they don't the tonneau will sag wwhen it gets full!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
GEAUX, TIGERS!

(I don't have anything to add to this thread - just couldn't let 'Bama and the Vols have it all!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif Mickey

My headrests are so misserably frozen in place, last time I tried to move them, the soft bits started to seperate from the metal ones. One day I'll have new one's though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Once they're frozen in place, the only thing to do is remove the seat backing, gently remove the cardboard, Squeeze their 'indent' tabs & pull them out...then, you can clean them up & put white lithium on their stems.

I'll wait until I get some new seat upholstery to do that. Right now, it doesn't matter to me where they are.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
We used to say "avoid the rush...hate Bama early." IMHO, the Gators are gaining on BAMA. Wrong place for this discussion, but it sure is good-natured fun to "hate" the Tide and the Gators.

Got work.

[/ QUOTE ]

We still say that about Texas - and we're not even in the same conference anymore!