• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Folding B

RTR52nd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well, I just landed a new gig, which is a good thing. However, it means I won't get to see my B now until the second week in March! Hope I survive that long!
Meanwhile, the last time I got up to visit my LBC ( oh yes, and my Mom and her husband), I noticed I was losing air in the right front tire. "Jack it up and remove it for repair", thought I. I inserted the jack and started jacking up the car. Got up about 4", when suddenly the rocker panel folded faster than Superman on laundry day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Dang! I planned on replacing the floor panels, so it looks like I'll be doing the passenger side rocker panel/sill assembly too. I'm completely comfortable with a welder in my hand, so I'm not too worried about that. I've read a good bit about it in an attemp to arm myself with knowledge beforehand, and have read plenty on alignment awareness.
Has anyone else done a rocker panel replacement, and have any words of wisdom to pass on? I would certainly be appreciated!
Thanks to all, and don't worry - spring is on the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wouldn't you want to do both sides?
If one's bad, the other side surely can't be too far behind.
Just a thought... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/square.gif

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
Me too, I need to replace a rocker so if anyone out there has words of wisdom I could use the advice as well.

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Rob,
I'm sorry,..that really sux!

My B is nearly finished in the bodyshop,..did the full rocker/floor replacement on both sides (as well as pretty much building a brand new body,...but that's for another thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

I researched the project for a bit, before finally farming it out to a bodyshop. It seemed like a job that could certainly be done at home, as long as you had the proper equipment, and something to support the front and back of the car with the rockers removed. I opted for the bodyshop because they could get the job done faster.

But, then again, my car's been in the bodyshop since October, so what do I know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jerry

Steve_S

Yoda
Typical advise states that you shouldn't use the King Dick style jack on a car this old. While this may be true, I feel that if the main structural component of a car's chassis can't stand up to lifting the car's weight then the car shouldn't be driven anyway.

BTW, I agree with Carl about doing both sides.

OP
RTR52nd

RTR52nd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hey all -

Thanks. I have been thinking - bordering on planning on - replacing both sides. "In for a penny, In for a pound", right? Anyway, not sure where that will fall on the repairs list, but will keep you all updated as events warrant.
-Hey - sure is a nice, sunny day here in the east.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I have done rockers, quarters, and floorpans on a 71 B
If you have read the books and stuff then you should have a pretty good idea of what to expect. It's dirty and involved. The rockers extend from wheelwell to wheelwell, so it will require the removal of the front fenders, which requires the removal of the windshield. Be ready for some nasties under the fenders at the top of the inner fender bulkhead ( right behind those oblong holes under the hood on either side, and just below the rust spots that start on the top of the fenders) The road slop collects right there and does bad things.
Also if you have any rust on the quarters, nows the time to take care of that because cutting off the dogleg of the quarter panel gives you acess to the back of the rocker.
I also left about a 1/4" lip of the floorpan in place to attach the new pans to. That saved a lot of aligning.
Also Don't try to save time by welding new metal right over the remains of the old. This traps moisture and you WILL be repairing it again, far too soon. Take the extra few minutes to cut the old away.
Complete one side before starting the other. This helps maintain the structure as much as possible and also deminishes the "Oh my god, what have I done?" syndrome.
Finally Do a lot of test fitting. Make sure the doors fit to the body and the fenders ,and the fenders fit to the doors and the Bonnett at the same time. nothing like getting done with everything and finding out the front edge of the bonnett will never align to the fenders.
Hope this helps. Best of luck to ya Guv'na
P.S. those jack tubes were marginal even when the cars were new, not to mention after 25 years of N.Y. road salt

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Don't try to save time by welding new metal right over the remains of the old. This traps moisture and you WILL be repairing it again, far too soon. Take the extra few minutes to cut the old away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's what my DPO did to me and led to my current sill problem. Not only am I cutting away bad metal, but patches on top of rust, which makes it that much more difficult.

Banjo... where are you in NY? I'm north of Albany.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
South central, just above the P.A.border north of Elmira.
20 min south of Watkins Glen.
I just did Quarters on my dads 69 B last fall. that's exactly what we found. They had stripped the old panals, cut off the bottom crusty edges, and laid new panals over top. What a mess!! we took it down to bare metal and repainted it hoping to have it done in time for the Zippo Vintage Grand Prix at the Glen. this years featured car was the MG. but we diden't make it. It took roughly twice as long as we planned. But Its done, and it came out pretty good I think

OP
RTR52nd

RTR52nd

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks Banjo. I'll have the welder in one hand and your notes in the other. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif And John, once she's up and running, I'll stop by and show you the progress - my in-laws are up in Fort Ann, just outside Lake George. Or at the very least, I'll beep as I drive by. Which reminds me, I don't know if the horn works.... Well, add it to the list.
Thanks again!