• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Flat. Stopped. First or second gear?

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Let's talk about DRIVING one of these babies, since beginning next week I join the ranks of BJ8 drivers. I realize the first gear question does not apply to BN1 owners to the extent that their first IS second, but which of you others skip first gear altogether most of the time? If so, do you EVER use first?

Now on to OD. This may be premature since a little experience could answer it, but I foresee using the OD out of fourth gear, but rarely while just in third, since that would most often be on my way to fourth. Perhaps better to ask this the way it should be asked: what do you consider the normal RPM range for cruising non-highways?

Not that you haven't seen a red 1965 before, but I'll try to post a picture when she is home. Can you see my grin from there?

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Tom. I seldom use the OD while driving around town unless I exceed about 45 mph. The only time I use 1st gear is when I'm sitting on a steep incline or when I want to pull out extremely fast for a very short distance. The owners manual offers rpm shift points, I think.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Hi Tom,
With the 3.91 rear end I use to use 2nd gear about half the time - St. Louis rolling stops. When I put a 3.54 rear end in I tended to use 1st most of the time. The secret is to 'kiss' 2nd before putting it into 1st to minimize the grinding. With practice you will get the hang of it.
With the 3.91 I tended to us OD any time I got over 40 MPH in the city. With the 3.54 non OD 4th was fine in the city. I didn't pay that much attention to RPM in the city, only on the highway. One reason was my speedo was off and tach was more reliable. Then I got a GPS that is now my speedo.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Rightly or wrongly, I sometimes leave OD in and just use the gears as needed, but I always start off in first, habit i guess.

Just as a tip, if you loose the clutch due to an hydraulic failure, stop the engine, slip the gear into first, you could try second but I have not, then start the engine. The old girl will fire up in gear and you can at least move off the road to a place of safety. It did happen to me once but I only has to travel about 1/2 to 1 mile to get home so limped home in first, it is possible to judge the gears and move into second if you are carefull.

Bob