• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Enclosed Trailer Question

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
I have an opportunity to purchase an enclosed trailer for an extremely good price. This trailer is 16' by 7' dovetailed interior with a 6' heavy duty ramp door. The trailer was used to transport a non-Healey race car. Will a BJ7 fit in a 16' enclosed trailer? I already know the dimensions of the BJ7, but I am asking if anyone out there has actually put a Healey in a 16' trailer. I cannot simply drive my BJ7 to the trailer right now.

Thanks.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey John,
I don't have a trailer but my small garage under my house- we're on piers on the coast - is exactly 14'7" long x 7'6" wide. I fit my BN6 in there with about
6 inches to spare at either end. Tight fit bu worked. Now that I have the 100M I have 6 inches more room to play with. I assume the wheel wells do not intrude on the interior space so width should be fine. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Mike

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I think it will fit, but also look at the ramp and see if it has an extra flap at the bottom which levels out the entry and exit. You can build one if you need it. I have a 20 foot trailer and use the front 3 feet for storage. There is also extra room at the back , about 2 feet.
The dovetail is necessary. the width may be an issue of getting out of the car, but if you don't have the top up, you can get out without opening the door.

Country flag
Don't forget you have to get out of the car when in the trailer and be able to move around to tie it down. Seven feet is pretty good if the wheel enclosures don't intrude on the inner space. I've looked at trailers for a long time. Is it a duel axle? Dose it have a front door? Does it have brakes? Is your two car equipped for trailer brakes? How old are the tires (they age from just sitting and 4 new ones can be a bit of money)? I had a wheel bearing freeze up on my utility trailer from lack of use, that was a fun trip. Is the trailer and Healey weight a match for the tow vehicles ability? Will the Healey's low ground height be accommodated by the ramp? My problem is storage and snow load. I found some at about $4000 new. I wanted it for storage in the winter (I use a garage across the street now). I didn't wont to drive the car around as a "queen" as the fun of a Healey is the driving. But with all the cars you have, a trailer might be just the thing. Sorry, just playing devil's advocate with all the negatives. There are a ton of positives, too.

reddsprite

I dont know what your needs are-but as a retired racer I do know that the minimum trailer deck I ever used in a enclosed trailer was about 25 feet.
This allows room for generator,fuel,tool boxes,work counter and so on.Everyone
I have every known in motorsports that used less trailer than a 25 or 28 foot trailer ends up saying, "I wish I would have bought more trailer...." just a thought from someone that has already been there.Also pay attention to axle payloads and entry- exit doors-you will amazed at what you pack into trailers affecting total towing weight.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
By "dovetail" I assume you are referring to the rearmost part of the deck being sloped--usually about 3 or 4 feet--to reduce the knuckle at the point where the rear door joins the trailer deck (it's actually called a beavertail in the industry). Assuming the beavertailed section is 3' in length that means that the flat portion of the deck is 13'.

My wife's BN7 measures 10' from the front of the front bumper to the line of the rear axle. Allowing 1'-6" between the bumpers and the front and back walls that would mean that your rear wheels will be a foot or so in back of the break for the beavertail, which would reduce your ground clearance while underway by an inch or two. This might or might not be a problem depending upon how low-slung your car is.

Aside from the above you should be able to do it though you will have to do some wiggling around while tying down the car and you will probably have to mount new D-rings at the extreme ends of the interior. K-track would be even better.

FWIW I use a 20' enclosed trailer to haul around my Elvas and they are about 13' long--same as the Healey--and I have tons of room.

OP
J

John Kuzman

Jedi Trainee
All -

Thank you very much for the replies. Peter: Your pictures of your BJ8 inside the 16X7 Haulmark made the decision easy. It is a go!

This trailer does have the additional flap to assist in ground clearance and is dovetailed for the same concern. As I said, the current owner used it to haul his race car that had probably less than 4" ground clearance. The race car was slightly larger than a Sprite/MG Midget.

I agree that with a trailer, you should get the largest you can handle, however this one is practically a gift from a relative, and its exterior dimensions will allow me to store it in my warehouse out of the way.

My tow vehicle is well suited for towing with a complete tow package. I already have a proportional brake controller installed for pulling my 14' dual axle, brake equipped open utility trailer, and this trailer has heavy duty dual axles with 4 wheel electric brakes. It also has less than 2 year old radial trailer tires and a 6000 lb winch installed.

Again, Thanks to all!

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My 23' trailer is plenty big enough for the race car, tires, tent, snap-on roll-away, and everything else needed for a week long race event. I could use a smaller one at times, it would fit better in the pits at some of the larger events.

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Prior to going to Open Roads 2002 in Tahoe, I bought a 7,000# capacity flat-bed car hauler and enclosed it myself.

The trailer weights about 1,500# and the enclosure is less than 500#. The whole rig was less than $2,000.

The sides are 4X8X1/2" plywood and the top is sheets of metal welded together.

My bumperless Healey measures 13'7" so I have about a foot on each end. I have a single point chain and boomer tie-down on each end. Because the wheels are outside the cargo space, the car must be winched in and out when the top is on (onboard winch & battery). It can be driven in & out with the top off.

Loading and tieing down takes less than 5 minutes. Unloading is the same.

It's been 10 years and the trailer has been from Dallas to both coasts and with a couple of house paint & roller paint jobs, is still going strong.

Tim

RV-Trailer-Healey.jpg