• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Enclosed trailer for Traveller

Country flag
I am looking to get an enclosed trailer that will fit my Traveller. Any recommendations? Anyone have one for sale?

prometalshop

Hi Pete
What size are you looking for, and what are you hauling it with?

Chevy-Dually--Trailer.jpg

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Steve...whoa...what's that house following yer pickemup...now that's a car trailer and then some!!

prometalshop

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Thats my small one we just sold our 48 footer a year or so ago. I don't do the shows we use to I got that out of my system. I actualy sold my crew cab dually and bought a Dodge Crew cab Cummins AND I LOVE IT /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif I use the white one in the photo for movable storage. Its a waste but its free storage. I just put it back on the road this year we sponser a show during the summer and I will use it to haul some equipment and a street rod. I often think I would like a smaller one around a 26 footer. I do haul for my customers when I need to but I have a gooseneck for that and its easy to get around town with.

Hedgehog

Jedi Hopeful
Steve, I just checked out your website. I take it you go to Street Rod Nationals in Louisville? If so, maybe we'll see you there. We'd make a run over to your shop in Sept. when we bring my stepson out to Blairsville to Wyotech, but I don't know what we'll have for time. My wife and her boys have a 35 Ford 5 window coupe and one of them is building a 48 Ford Business Coupe into a streetrod.

prometalshop

Hi Dave
Hey give me a yell when you get into town, as posted I really have cut down in my traveling. Its nice to just stay home and just go to some of the shows you enjoy as a spectator.
What is your stepson going to major in? That is a great school I am sure he is going to enjoy his time there.
Let him know he some friends in PA. if he needs just to say hi. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hedgehog

Jedi Hopeful
Steve, He's going for Hi-Performance Engines and Chassis Building. His late father left his blue prints for 30s era hotrod chassis that he was building. But he ultimately wants to work on race cars.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Silverghost said:
I am looking to get an enclosed trailer that will fit my Traveller. Any recommendations? Anyone have one for sale?

Hi, Peter,
Recommendations would depend on HOW you intend to use the Traveller and the associated trailer. If the only objective is to get the Traveller from one place to another, without actually driving it, and enclosed trailer may not necessarily be the best solution...open trailers are quite convenient. If the Traveller is primarily a show vehicle and you intend to minimize "road rash", then indeed the enclosed trailer may be the solution you're looking for.

I have a '73 Midget that I show; I transport it to distant shows in a Pace 8x16 enclosed trailer. Now before I get the obligatory lectures about "cars are to be driven" and "look at all the fun you're missing"...I do, and don't...I drive the car a lot, but not the interstates around Atlanta, any interstates for that matter. A bum knee also precludes me enjoying the shifting for more than a couple hours at a time. AND, I have a TR3 driver and a '62 Sprite I'm building that do/will give me all the driving enjoyment I can handle. I also use the trailer for storage of the Midget. It's sitting out in the driveway right now at 60 degrees and very low humidity thanks to a small ceramic heater. In the summer it sits at 80 degrees, and again very low humidity, thanks to a top of the trailer mounted air conditioner. The trailer seals up very tight and is rodent proof as well.

P1010004.jpg

As far as suggestions, here's a few:

1) Be sure you have, or can trade for, a tow vehicle that will handle the load. I had an Infinity QX4 (smallish SUV on the same platform as the Pathfinder) with a 5000 lb towing capacity. The trailer with the car (only) weighs in at just about that. Add the cooler, bag chairs, tool box, emergency gear, spare, etc...your'e over 6000. I traded for a Nissan Titan with a 9400 lb towing capacity. I'd suggest a tow vehicle with at least 20% excess capacity. I also went with Nissan's "Big Tow" option which gave me the hitch I needed, built in 7 hole electrical plug, and backup alarm (the change in sound makes it really easy to know just how close the hitch ball is to the trailer tongue).

2) Buy a larger trailer than you think you'll need. Look at the attached photo with the car. I can walk around the car, open the doors, bonnet and boot lid, and store loose items in front of the car. Yes, an 8x16 CAN be more of a handful to tow than a 7x14, but not if you've properly matched tow vehicle, trailer, and options (see #1 and #3).

3) Spend the money on the best anti-sway setup you can find. Mine was installed by the same company that I ordered the trailer from (Trailers for Less; Atlanta). The truck with the capacity you need should already have the proper hitch (see #1).

4) Ditto #3 for the brake controller. A trailer of this weight will have brakes; the electric brakes on mine work great. You want to be able to dial in your controller to where the trailer brakes come on just in advance of the truck brakes. You'll also have a break away battery on the trailer itself.

5) Install an electric winch at the front of the trailer. Mine is wireless; I can stand at the back of the trailer next to the car and walk alongside the car as it loads making slight adjustments to the steering/position of the car. Plan ahead...you will need bracing in the frame/floor where the winch goes. Also, most winches come with braided steel cables... guaranteed to do a number on your hands, trailer, and your car. Buy (NOT cheap) the braided high tech fabric cable replacement; same or higher strength but feels like cloth.

6) Consider ORDERING your trailer if you buy it new. You can get EXACTLY what you want and high volume dealers will just add in a modest profit for placing the order...they don't have to "floor plan" it.

Hope this helps. There's more photos of my rig on my web site www.raysmg.com; follow the "Car Hauler" link.

Ray

P1010014.jpg

OP
S
Country flag
Thanks Ray! Great trailer and great information! My needs for an enclosed trailer stem from the fact that my brother-in-law is going to help in the restoration and he doesn't have storage space. So I thought, why not a trailer? At the moment my tow vehicles are a Honda Pilot and a Chevy Venture. Since the Mini is, well.....mini....I was thinking a 6x12 or so with a ramp door. I wanted to get an idea what others have done. I DID see a trailer set-up that was a combo camper/trailer. Put the car in to go places, pull the car out and down fold the beds, etc. Sweet deal. I drive my Mini everywhere, Highways and all, so the trailer is more a utility thing than an trailer queen thing.

Thanks again for the info!

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
We have a 7 X 14 Haulmark Motorcycle trailer that we pull with a GMC Envoy. It's used for trailering our Healey 100-M long distances. We haul a distance and then fun-drive. Husband doesn't like to drive Healey but he's okay (most of the time) as a passenger. Anything over a 100 miles is not his cup of tea. Also the trailer has a V front which seems to help in the gas mileage.

Just a thought.